Why is the Jelly Bean update FORCED on my phone using up my data?
Doonser
Enthusiast - Level 3

Why is this update being FORCED onto my Droid Bionic?  I woke up my phone to discover an update was happening when I was on data, but I have the option set to only update on WiFi. I tried switching to WiFi and the update stalled. So I rebooted on WiFi and the update resumed VERY SLOWLY.  I have calls to make and some apps I need to use, but the whole phone is slow while the update is being downloaded.  WHY DOESN'T IT GIVE ME THE OPTION TO UPDATE WHEN I WANT?

0 Likes
Re: Why is the Jelly Bean update FORCED on my phone using up my data?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The update includes security fixes and operating system enhancements both to the base code and the system UI.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Doonser
Enthusiast - Level 3

I understand that, but I don't understand why it just started downloading itself. It was released 4 days ago, and it would have been great if it asked me at home if I wanted to download it, where I have a fast WiFi connection, rather than suddenly starting at work where I can only get 3G and slow, crippled WiFi. It's slowing down my phone, and after 4 hours still hasn't completed. Battery almost dead.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It should have given you the option to defer it.

I would suggest plugging it in during the update process especially the download. The phone will need a minimum of 50% battery charge to complete the installation.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Doonser
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks Ann, but I guess you're not understanding my situation. I'm at work. I can't plug it in (no plug with me). And it never gave me the option to install or defer installation, as I said. It just started on its own.  I just spent a half hour with Verizon on the phone and they can't explain it either.  It never gave me the option. I know how to use my phone. 

I had it in Airplane mode at work this morning to save the battery since I was in a part of the building where there's no signal, and when I took it out of airplane mode it started the download, although I didn't notice it for an hour or so.

I've had to reboot 4 times because it keeps stalling, and it's still only at 80% downloaded after five hours.

Just wondering if any Verizon people read these boards and if they can offer some wisdom.

0 Likes
LadyRelm2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was never given the OPTION to accept or refuse the JB update.  I *was* given this option when my phone was updated to ICS.  This failure is what has made me so livid.  I was also NOT NOTIFIED that this update was going to take place on my phone.  I woke up to find out that they did it, after the fact.  Because of this update, I have lost very important and irreplaceable files.  AND my phone is not working most of the time.  Things are routinely crashing that are standard parts of the phone, apps crash all the time, and I am having trouble making calls or receiving/sending texts.

At this point, I am considering a lawsuit if Verizon isn't willing to make it right.  Very angry customer....

TJ

0 Likes
Not applicable

Doonser wrote:

I understand that, but I don't understand why it just started downloading itself. It was released 4 days ago, and it would have been great if it asked me at home if I wanted to download it, where I have a fast WiFi connection, 

You can't download OS updates over wi-fi.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Brian68 wrote:

Yes you can; that's how I do all my OS updates.

0 Likes
Not applicable

tikibar1 wrote:

Brian68 wrote:

Yes you can; that's how I do all my OS updates.

Wouldn't let me do it on my Lucid for me. Insisted on using the mobile network. Maybe a glitch.

0 Likes