facebook account takes over contact pictures
raroberts
Enthusiast - Level 3

After I added my facebook account, the pictures in my contacts switched to facebook pictures and I can not find a way to override. Any suggestions?

0 Likes
Re: facebook account takes over contact pictures
ameena_h

I am having the same exact problem. I cannot change a contact's default picture to anything else but their facebook profile picture. Is there a way to change this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

0 Likes
runnman
Contributor - Level 1

I do not have face book active on my Droid X and do not have an answer to the issue.  But this could be a teaching moment.

Go to Settings-->Accounts.  You are now in My Accounts where you will see a list of  all the accounts that have been activated  (i.e., Backup Assistant, Email, Gmail, Face Book, Twitter and others which have been activated).

Select the Menu Button and then touch "Picture Source".  Is there any option available there to disconnect the Face Book control of Picture Source and apply that control to something else?  Let us know.

0 Likes
ameena_h

I followed your instructions and was able to find the "picture source" option in "my account settings."

However, after selecting it, the only option in the menu that popped up for picture source was for Facebook and as far as I could see, at least on my phone, there wasn't any way to change that or switch to a different picture source. There didn't even seem to be a way to just deactivate Facebook as the picture source, there was a green circle next to it that could not be "unchecked." I've attempted to figure out this strange issue many times since I purchased my phone and it's starting to look as though there isn't a way to change it. 

0 Likes
runnman
Contributor - Level 1

ameena_h...Thanks for the report.

As I said before, I do not have Face Book active but I have Twitter Active and Twitter shows in the "Picture Source" as Twitter having control.  And no way to disconnect Twitter from control.

Wonder what would be displayed in "Picture Souce" if both Face Book and Twitter made active?  Anyone have both enabled?

0 Likes
runnman
Contributor - Level 1

I have no idea how this "Picture Source" works or what is its' purpose.  Making Twitter active and with Twitter being shown in Picture Source as having control, my contact photo assignments have NOT changed (yet!).  My contact photos still come from photos made with the Droid X's camera and assigned to the contact.  And I continue to have available in Contacts (Edit) to "Take Photo", "Use existing photo", Remove Photo" for a Contact.

Reviewing the User's Manual revels no useful information.  There must be an answer to this issue.

0 Likes
raroberts
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes, picture cource is there, with facebook being the only option. It has a green dot to the right. Touching the bar or the green dot does not turn it off. 

0 Likes
runnman
Contributor - Level 1

See Page 13 of either, the .PDF User's Guide or the hard copy User's Guide Page 13.

It says...this is the place to select which Picture Source the Contacts will use.  I wonder what's going on with this.

0 Likes
RyanAZ

It's an annoying problem. DO NOT add Facebook from the phone activation process, activate the phone then go to the market and download Facebook from there and it won't override the contact pictures or phone contact list. This is the only way around it, and if it happened to you, you will need to wipe the phone and do it all over again to get rid of the problem.

0 Likes
zombieguy

yo can go in manually to each contact and change the picrture if the picture is in your gallery or you can take a new picture,  just select the person, hit the menu button, choose edit, then press their picture and it gives you the option to change it. It uses facebook because its getting the contacts from facebook in the first place, if the names are the same it will automatically sync the lists together.

0 Likes