Defective Pixel Phones?
MattsVerizon

Has anyone here run into issues with their new Pixel phone either suddenly dying (dead Android, "no command" error), or the charging port not working unless you wiggle the cord?  I've had many Android phones and haven't seen either of these issues before, and now I'm on my second Pixel within just a few weeks, and need to send this one back before even fully activating it.  Here's what happened:

1. Ordered Pixel phone through one of the Verizon stores at the end of December.
  2. Received it in early January.
  3. Phone worked great for a few weeks....then suddenly displayed the dead Android and "no command" error.
  4. Talked with Verizon tech support, and Google tech support.  None of the recovery options worked, including a complete phone wipe.  The response from tech support indicated that the operating system got corrupted.
  5. Took phone to store to figure out what to do next.
  6. Service rep ordered a new phone.  Confirmed it would be a new phone (not a refurbished phone), especially since it was just a few weeks old and I'm paying for a new phone.
  7. Replacement phone arrived quickly, but appeared to be refurbished.  Went back to store with phone.  First service rep stated that it is definitely refurbished, and it doesn't matter if you are paying for a new phone (what!).  Talked with another service rep.  Her and her manager looked up the serial number on the replacement phone and determined it was in fact a new phone.
  8. Feeling better about this now, went home and started activation process.
  9. Plugged in phone and noticed that it wasn't charging.
  10. Found that it would only charge if cable is wiggled at the phone end.  Tried multiple cables just to be sure.  It seems that the connector in the phone is loose.
  11. I'll contact Verizon when they open tomorrow to figure out what to do next.

Has anyone else experienced these issues with their Pixel phones, and if so, how did Verizon address them?

To make things even more difficult, the return packaging Verizon sent includes a UPS label and a box marked FedEx all over it.  It's the box that includes the insert needed for shipping the phone back, but I'm pretty sure UPS won't take it with the FedEx markings.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Defective Pixel Phones?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Warranty replacements are always refurbished devices. Have you considered working with Google directly for your warranty repair options?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
SamMarie

I just got off the phone with Google Store! He told me the defect is because our phones came thru Verizon. Verizon Wireless alters the motherboard. I looked into and sure enough the do. All the issues with Pixels come from Verizon. I am returning my phone today, and buying it thru Google Store! You should do the same.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yet there are thousands of customers with the Verizon Pixels without any problems.

Verizon Wireless doesn't touch the code. I certainly doubt they have any way to modify the hardware in devices that come sealed in their boxes from the factory.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
SamMarie

They do modify the motherboard. I just got off of the phone with Google, and they let me know. You can also look into for yourself on the internet.

0 Likes
SamMarie

4. If you buy the Pixel from Verizon, your phone will come with some bloatware.

Google's Pixel phones are all about the "pure Google" experience, and part of that means you don't get all the superfluous gunk and overlapping services manufacturers and carriers love to bake into Android phones.

If you buy the Pixel from Verizon, that's mostly still true -- but not entirely: Pixels sold through Verizon will come with three preloaded carrier apps (the My Verizon account manager; the Go90 video streaming service; and Verizon's custom texting app, Verizon Messages). Verizon tells me all of those apps are removable, though, so it's a pretty minor point.

Beyond that:

5. Pixels sold through Verizon won't have unlockable bootloaders.

Unlocking a bootloader isn't something most smartphone owners concern themselves with -- and if you don't know what a bootloader is, you probably don't need to worry about this -- but for the tinkerers among us, be aware that you won't be able to unlock the bootloader and get under the hood on a Verizon-sold Pixel.

If that's important to you, get your phone from the Google Store. End of discussion.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3128785/android/google-pixel-phone-verizon.html

0 Likes
SamMarie

As you see the software is ran through Verizon and not through Google.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The software is loaded at the factory and it is written by Google not Verizon. It is per the exclusive agreement between Google and Verizon Wireless in order for Verizon to sell the devices in their stores. Software modifications are not the same as hardware modification you are suggesting with the "claim that the motherboard is altered". These software modifications (the Verizon apps) with the exception of the bootloader is completely removable. In fact I never saw these bloatware apps on the Pixel I have access to. The device never loaded them as part of the activation and I didn't have to uninstall them. And I like the majority of the customers who purchased the Pixel from Verizon Wireless and probably a good chunk of the people who purchased from the Google store are never going to need to unlock their bootloader.

SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

SamMarie wrote:

They do modify the motherboard. I just got off of the phone with Google, and they let me know. You can also look into for yourself on the internet.

As Ann154 said, adding a couple of apps (and I use two of those three regularly) and locking the bootloader is NOT the same as "modifying the motherboard".  Not at all.

I got my phone from Verizon, as did my husband.  I don't consider 3 apps to be "bloatware" especially if you can remove them.  The Pixel is a whole lot less modified than most Verizon sold phones, and we've had no major issues with our Verizon issued Pixels.  (Had them since early November).

FLOLAN23

Mine crashed in the first month I owned it and was entireky unresponsive.  At the Verizon store today I was told that I will have to pay $14 if I want a phone in 2 days.  Otherwise I'll have to wait 7-10 days foe shipping and during that time I'll be required to continue to pay my monthly bill.  I'll be switching back to Apple now.

0 Likes