All I Want Is 3G...Is That So Hard?
TBoltOwner
Contributor - Level 1

Is there any way I can get a constant 3G signal without having to constantly reboot - or go in and out of airplane mode numerous times - or using LTE OnOff until I'm ready to throw the phone through the wall.  I'm on the LTE map fringe, so keeping the phone in LTE mode drains my battery.  I am so tired of 1x - can't Verizon show us some 3G love on this phone?

0 Likes
Re: All I Want Is 3G...Is That So Hard?
Wildman
Legend

Since Verizon is going forward full blown with the 4G network you may get hit and miss 3G connections because they are probably updating the towers and this could effect the 3G connection from time to time...

0 Likes
phat6
Enthusiast - Level 3

I here ya. I have 4g all around me with one little pocket of 3g where my house is (about 4 houses wide by 30 houses long). So what do you think I get all the time - no its not 3g its a lot of 1x or nothing unless I do the airplane mode thing then I will get 3g for a while. Still hate myself for buying into 4g at $30 a month when the one place you want to use it I can't.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Exactly what is your house made of and when was it built? When was the last time it was renovated?

No carrier promises coverage inside a building. There's a lot more factors inside buildings when it comes to coverage. An example cheap glass is polished with lead. This affects coverage. A lot of old paint are lead based... you home could be made of brick or concrete which also affects coverage.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Tidbits is making a lot of sense and has a number of good points...   Another thing, if you are focusing on 3G only have you tried disabling the 4G radio, there is a number of apps on market that can do this if the device doesn t already have this function, some report a better signal if they experianced 4G issues.

0 Likes
phat6
Enthusiast - Level 3

Less than 5yr old house, i have disabled 4g and tried that, does not help. Then I only get 3g, 1x or nothing. The sad part is my wifes stupid iPhone gets perfect 3g even in the basement. To bad I still have over a year contract on the thunderbolt, can't wait to get rid of it.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

I am amazed that you are having such bad reception, my TB has exceeded all my other devices on signal quality...  Maybe you should consider a network extender.

0 Likes
phat6
Enthusiast - Level 3

Pay more money for an extender and then I will only get 3g, I pay for 4g and live on a 4g town I would think I should get 4g.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

How do you pay for 4G? There is 0 difference in price and the data plans don't specifically say you are paying for 4G.

0 Likes
phat6
Enthusiast - Level 3

I could have paid less for a 3g phone. Payed for a.4g phone expecting 4g speed. Now al I get is 3g or 1x, that's not what I pay for.

0 Likes