Anyone Else Having to Manually Reboot...
Waves79

...in order to re-establish 3G or 4G connectivity after the OTA update?  since the update my phone will drop down to 1x randomly...  when i do a manual restart it will go back to 3G or 4G...  located in the greater Los Angeles area...

0 Likes
Re: Anyone Else Having to Manually Reboot...
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

😄 Even before the update I was restarting my Thunderbolt for connection issues. Sometimes just using an LTE on off app will get it to stick on 3G but if you want to get your TB connection back without any third party apps get used to restarting it. I often tell the VZW tech support that I fell like I have a blackberry again..... 

0 Likes
Waves79

@GreenRobot

which LTE app do you use?  does this work for you and your connectivity issues?

i have the LTE OnOff app and it only allows switching between 3G and 4G which doesnt help with when the phone is stuck on 1x and im on a 'CDMA auto' setting, for example...  switching to allow LTE doesn't change the connectivity to 4G, let alone 3G for that matter, when im only getting 1x in a 3G or 4G area...  only a manual restart works...  oh well :smileysad:

EDIT

actually, i can switch between all 3 options!  sorry!  will try this instead of a manual restart

0 Likes
kentman
Enthusiast - Level 3
Does not work. Restart is the only thing that works for me. I have been doing about one per day since the update. Never had to restart before the update.
0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

no issues here on 3G or LTE.  granted I ditched the "stock" firmware after only 24 hours

0 Likes
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

Waves79 wrote:

@GreenRobot

which LTE app do you use?  does this work for you and your connectivity issues?

i have the LTE OnOff app and it only allows switching between 3G and 4G which doesnt help with when the phone is stuck on 1x and im on a 'CDMA auto' setting, for example...  switching to allow LTE doesn't change the connectivity to 4G, let alone 3G for that matter, when im only getting 1x in a 3G or 4G area...  only a manual restart works...  oh well :smileysad:

EDIT

actually, i can switch between all 3 options!  sorry!  will try this instead of a manual restart

I was using LTE on off but I have switched to Network both do the same thing and take you to the Phone Info menu that where you to change your preferred network type. I just like that Network has a cleaner looking icon and doesn't pop up instructions. 

The CDMA auto setting is 1X so if that's what you have it set to you are only going to get 1X. The setting I use when I don't want to worry about losing connection is CDMA auto (PRL) and that will keep it on 3G unless 3G is unavailable. Sometime when I'm set to CDMA +LTE/EvDo auto I have problems with my phone hanging up on a poor or none existent 4G signal and wont switch to 3G that's when I will switch to CDMA auto (PRL) to get off the failing 4G signal. It usually takes a 10 seconds for the 3G to pop up. This is my experience with the Thunderbolt I know a lot of people are having different experiences and have their different trick but I find this works most of the time. Good luck

0 Likes
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

PJNC284 wrote:

no issues here on 3G or LTE.  granted I ditched the "stock" firmware after only 24 hours

What firmware are you running now and how's it working out for you?

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

A custom rom based on the Gingerbread leak from a few days ago.  The Thunderbolt was fast out of the box but add Gingerbread 2.3.4 + couple tweaks here and there + Sense 3.0 elements and I'm more and more impressed by the second.   It's amazing what the developers at XDA can do.  If Verizon went to them for their updates instead of the manufacturers, I'm sure their customers would be a lot happier.

0 Likes
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

PJNC284 wrote:

A custom rom based on the Gingerbread leak from a few days ago.  The Thunderbolt was fast out of the box but add Gingerbread 2.3.4 + couple tweaks here and there + Sense 3.0 elements and I'm more and more impressed by the second.   It's amazing what the developers at XDA can do.  If Verizon went to them for their updates instead of the manufacturers, I'm sure their customers would be a lot happier.

The only reason I'm keep the thunderbolt and not screaming for a different device is I like it's size, feel, speed, screen, & pretty much everything about it besides the soft or firmware. I have seen other HTC devices running different roms ( nexus one & EVO ) and I was amazed at what they could do. Hence the reason for my Thunderbolt purchase. So if you handed a current ( stock ) thunderbolt user your 2.3.4 running Thunderbolt to try for a day do you think they would want to trade you or would they say it's cool but needs work and give it back? Basically I want to know if voiding my warranty is worth my sanity at this point. 

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

GreenRobot wrote:
So if you handed a current ( stock ) thunderbolt user your 2.3.4 running Thunderbolt to try for a day do you think they would want to trade you or would they say it's cool but needs work and give it back?

Definitely.  Assuming someone had both in front of them, I'd bet that 99.9% of them would ditch the stock one.  Heck, I'd even bet that most wouldn't even know which one was actually running the "official" firmware.  Can't really go in depth too much here, but the custom builds may have their quirks and bugs but so do the OTA's Verizon pushes out as evidenced by this and any other phone forum on the internet.  The difference is that the xda developers usually have a fix in 12-24 hours (sometimes even less) and are much more responsive than a Verizon or HTC rep that has a canned response prepared.  And the best thing is that if you aren't happy, you can revert back to a fully stock device.  You can't say that after you've upgraded to a buggy OTA and Verizon will just tell you you're stuck.  

0 Likes