Battery life after Gingerbread update
m_gia

Hello,

I've noticed the battery life on my Thunderbolt seems to be a lot shorter (even with Advanced Task Killer installed).

Is anyone else seeing this happen?  If so, any suggestions you may have?  I'd prefer not to have the extended battery.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Battery life after Gingerbread update
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you run the phone from a complete charge to the phone shutting down from a dead battery. That should help reset the battery statistics in the phone system.   I would also suggest uninstalling the Task Killer. If you haven't configured the application correctly, you can actually do more harm than good. Every time the ATK kills applications, phone will most likely respawn the same applications again. The phone uses more battery to restart the applications then it uses to hold the applications in the memory.     http://m.androidcentral.com/ram-what-it-how-its-used-and-why-you-shouldnt-care

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Als o a bump charge helps also. But kill the Advance Task Killer. It is killing your battery.

0 Likes
djysrv
Enthusiast - Level 2

I found that the native Facebook Android app was a battery killer as well.  There was no way to throttle its constant checking for updates.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

djysrv wrote:

I found that the native Facebook Android app was a battery killer as well.  There was no way to throttle its constant checking for updates.

Under MENU>SETTINGS>ACCOUNTS&SYNC, you can turn off or set time intervals for FB to update.

0 Likes
m_gia

Hello!
Thank you so much for your feedback.  I went into my facebook account, and disabled  the update intervals, but am having the same problem.  Do I need to go in and force stop applications which are running everyday?  Even when I used to do this before the advanced task killer was installed (which is removed now) I still had horrible battery life.

I have let the phone completely drain down to no battery life and then charge it from the beginning.  Still no luck....

Another question I had pertains to apps which allow you to have visual voicemail. I used to have this through Google Voice but Verizon no longer supports this so I'm not able to use.  I researched a few android apps and everything led me to YouMail.  I installed this app, but can't even record a personal greeting for ALL callers. Are you familiar with any of this?

Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.\

PS:  What is a bump charge?

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Before you do too much, get the app "My Data Manager Free" 

Let it run for a couple days and SEE what app is running the most. Although this will be by data used.

Also from the main screen on the phone go MENU>SETTINGS>ABOUT PHONE>BATTERY>BATTERY USE  see what is using the battery.

Finally, reboot the phone, wait til the battery is near gone (20% or less) and follow the instructions above and look at your Uptime and Awake Time and post that.

A bump charge is, an add'l charge the phone battery can take. If you charge while the device is on, once the green light is on, shut the phone down. You will see the charge light go back to orange. After 20-40 minutes, the light will be green again and you have added additional juice to the battery

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Budone does that app do the same as system panel app?  that the one i got installed on my Droids i have circle battery on them as well an it shows a source of info. I got it via Mr. Wildman's suggestion an have used every since.   B33

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Lord, I will be happy when replying under the Communication Tab is fixed.

No it is not the same. This measures by data used which app uses the most and breaks it down. My thought was maybe an app is constantly getting data and the OP does not know this and this app may show them this.

The app is cool as you can compare data totals to what VZW states. Also great for those who have to watch their usage due to caps. It is immediate and WiFi usage is a separate tab

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Sorry to be a-little frisky Budone but can i suggest a Tylanol !    i was just asking a question ! Heck i did'nt know the difference But i'll look it Up next before asking the Question an thanks for responding.

0 Likes