BlinkFeed issues anyone??
xenacick

OK, so since I have gotten NOWHERE with either Verizon or HTC I thought I would try checking things out here for some answers.  My husband and I both upgraded our phones and renewed our contract with Verizon on Sept. 17, 2013.  We went to Best Buy rather than a Verizon store because I really wanted the blue edition (see below picture).  My husband got the "standard" silver.  I have been to the moon and back again, infighting between Verizon and HTC for the problems I have had with this phone since day ONE.  (no pun intended) I have spoken/chatted/talked to Verizon online/in-store/over the phone 4 times now. 

I have also been volleying technical support emails from HTC since the 6th day of having the new phone.  I love the IDEA of its potential; all my previous smart phones have been HTC.  Well…..now I am so angry and frustrated that I can’t get certain elements of this Jellybean (4.2.2) system on the Verizon network to do some basic things!

I will try to keep this short:

Day 1: Tried setting up my BlinkFeed to see what all the fuss what about.  I couldn’t access any other options in the “Topics & Services” menu.  The ONLY options it gives me are:

A. the service & Apps page (no swipe function to access the “Categories” or “Featured Headlines” pages) is the only screen I see, and I have established to both parties (Verizon & HTC) there should absolutely be these options on this phone on this carrier.

B. Under the sub-menu of “Service & Apps”, rather than give me multiple options (varies depending on what apps you have on the phone), it only gives me three: Facebook, Flickr for HTC Sense & LinkedIn for HTC Sense.  Whereas every model of this phone I have looked at (in-store & on my husband’s phone) this sub-menu contains many more different feeds to add to the home BlinkFeed page.  (such as instagram, calendar, gallery, etc.) So after talking with Verizon about this issue over the first few days they basically threw up their hands and said I needed to talk to HTC, because they didn’t have a clue as to why my phone wasn’t showing these (and a couple of other things) on this new phone.

So on the 4th day after buying the phone I contacted HTC through their online tech support so that I could take pictures of my husband’s phone (the way it SHOULD look), and my F’ed up phone, along with explanations in detail as to exactly what I was missing or what wasn’t functioning.  Also, missing from the options menu is the “Local Content” selection, in which my ‘version’ is missing.

C. I literally have, as of today, gone back and forth with HTC tech support 9 (NINE) times!!! The last couple they sent me I had to get rather nasty as they said (and I am quoting here): “…we expect your comprehension on this matter…we totally comprehend how you feel for this situation and know a week seems to be enough to solve these issues….” And then they blather on for another paragraph about how I wasn’t paying attention to THEM when they first told me my issues were due to Verizon selectively not including the settings I refer to!!! I am positive this response about “comprehension” comes from my previous response, which was, I admit, rather scathing, as I talked about how every single response from them thus far seemed link it was a canned memo/response, and that whomever was on the other ‘side’ (HTC) couldn’t read or see what I was speaking of.  Ummm…condescending much!?!?!

So here, I am now nearly A MONTH LATER and still haven’t received a SINGLE SOLUTION!! I kept telling them that I only have a short window in which to exchange/return the phone to Best Buy, and then once that had come and gone, about how now they really needed to fix the issue, or issue me another phone as I could no longer do any such thing through Best Buy.  NO solution in sight, and have been told AGAIN that my ‘case’ has been sent to their “escalation team”, whatever the F that means, and since I can’t unlock the boot-loader (thanks Verizon) I can’t just get rid of the stupid BlinkFeed page which just sits there leeching battery, and possibly data, with a blank black screen and the refresh/loading sign.  (see picture below).

So now my question to this community is:

Have any of you experienced this kind of ineptitude on tech support for this phone? 

Has anyone have the same missing sub-menus or settings?

Does anyone know how to try to fix these problems? (in a very non-obvious way since I have run the gambit)

Long of the short: Verizon is sending me to HTC, HTC actually has tried to send me BACK to Verizon, and now I am basically stuck with a phone I HATE, and can’t root. So below is a picture of my blank BlinkFeed page, and I attached the last explanation I sent to HTC in case anyone else is interested.  HELP~

Blank Loading.jpg

0 Likes
Re: BlinkFeed issues anyone??
Not applicable

I don't want to break your heart but first, blinkfeed cannot be removed from the phone. You can read this at the HTC USA site, you can Google it and find many other online stories about it. Its on there and that is all there is to it. Sorry.

Now however HTC is correct in that what is placed on the device at Verizon is through Verizon crippling certain features other carriers have left alone in example your FM Radio feature is not available. There is another feature that is denied as well and there was a web page link that shows what is missing. HTC is being honest with you by having you voice your concern with Verizon Wireless. They requested certain functions to be removed or turned off in order to use the device on their network.

There are also reports on the HTC One ringing all by its lonesome where it does not do this on the other carriers. My HTC One on T-Mobile has the blinkfeed streams work perfectly, I have the FM radio and I don't have any faint ringing as the others on this forum have complained about.

I will also tell you if you complain to Verizon Wireless about the Blinkfeed issue naturally they will not tell you that they as the carrier requested portions not to function, HTC manufacturers the device to work on verizons CDMA network so if you have any anger bring it towards Verizon who crippled your device.

0 Likes
xenacick

Unfortunately I think you are making the same assumptions HTC and Verizon have made about my issues.  To put it as plainly as I can, my husband’s phone is also a HTC One on Verizon, and has the features my phone is missing.  I understand completely that there are certain other things that Verizon has asked HTC to block for its customers using this phone, however, it’s not rocket science to see with the two devices (and others in the stores for that matter) contain menu options and settings my phone is simply missing.  Not to mention since day 1 BlinkFeed has only been a blank, black loading page. 

I can agree, that my complaints should be laid equally between Verizon and HTC, but at least HTC is communicating with me!  Verizon has maintained the stance that they don’t know enough about the phone to assist fixing my issues. 

Also, you aren’t breaking my heart, I am well aware that BlinkFeed cannot be removed, only ‘covered’ up with some of the launcher apps out there.  I guess I wasn’t clear that I would love to just be able to Root the device as I did with my previous phone, so I could run a custom rom and be done with it! That however is wishful thinking at this point…. L

I haven’t had any ringing issues, though besides the missing menu stuff the only other issue I have had is with it importing my calendar information correctly.  But I think that is more an issue with the stock widget then with the OS. 

Edited for private information as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
Klue
Master - Level 1

Not to be throwing salt into your issues, but why didn't you just return the unit for an exchange to BB or VZW while you had the chance and save yourself all this aggrivation. From reading all the back and forth stuff you must have ran the full spectrum of troubleshooting steps so obviously your phone is defective and no setting will fix that or it would of happened.  HTC knowing that VZW did not remove blinkfeed from its devices should of realized that you have a defective phone.

If your phone is insured exercise that program. If not contact HTC for a return authorizaton and have them fix it. Being without this phone for a couple of weeks while it gets fixed is a small price to pay to avoid what you will still be going through next month if you don't.

0 Likes
xenacick

Yea, I know that seems so logical now, but hindsight is always 20/20.  I was giving both companies the benefit of the doubt that they would either fix the issues or replace it (well eventually), but obviously that hasn’t worked out so well. 

Plus, unfortunately because I am self-employed I cannot be without a phone period.  So that was part of my indecision during those first 14 days.  Wish I…coulda…shoulda…woulda….

The only consolation I will probably get ( since most likely the insurance is going to have to step in, like you said) will hopefully be that this issue may now be on the radar of tech support at HTC.  I finally heard from the escalation department today, however was unable to pick up at the time.  They left a direct line, and so I shall see what they have to say tomorrow. 

Edited for private information as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes