Bluetooth Headset
johnnyC604

I am trying to use a Jawbone Icon Bluetooth headset with the HTC One, and I have an issue with the microphone gain. People say it is too loud unless I am whispering. The voice is booming and distorted. I have tried repositioning the microphone, even pointing it towards  the back of my neck, and nothing works.  I tried a different headset today from Motorola, and again I have the problem of too much microphone gain. I can't find a volume adjustment for the mic gain on the HTC One. Is anyone else having a similar problem with the microphone being too loud on a Bluetooth headset? Is there a better headset to use with the HTC One (Bluetooth preferred)?

0 Likes
Re: Bluetooth Headset
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JohnnyC604, thanks for the info. It sounds like you've been very proactive in trying to resolve this issue. It could be a faulty device. Have you tried this:http://vz.to/1ewGK4w and retested?

SammuelP
VZW Support

0 Likes
lh03

JohnnyC604, I have the exact same problem with my two Jabra headsets (Supreme and 9470) on my HTC One. I think perhaps the problem varies in respect of the receivers device - meaning that landlines seems to me more affected than mobile phones? But in any case, it seems to me that the problem must be with the HTC phone?? It is really annoying since I use my phone several hours a day with a headset.

I have both tried discussing the problem with HTC and Jabra several times without luck. I have also tried to reset the phone without success.

Let's promise each other to post here in case we solve the issue. Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
davidharpe

I have the exact same problem with my new HTC One. The bluetooth audio through the phone sounds way over amplified. What's interesting is I downloaded an app called "Bluetooth Mic Test" and recordings from it are fine - so it's something specific to the bluetooth headset with the phone app.

I've tried two different bluetooth models plus a car stereo, all the same thing.

The big problem is I called customer service and they sent me a new phone and it has the exact same problem.

It's a big issue. Everything else about the phone is great except this...

0 Likes
oldcanoe

I have the same problem, tried a Motorola H500 and Motorola H730, on both the microphone seems over amplified to the point of distortion. Verizon was not much help went I went back to the wireless store.  HTC had me do all the predictable items like reset the phone. repair, etc.  They eventually escalated the issue and 10 days later I was very politely told there was no solution.  I asked for a list of headsets that would work and it does not exist apparently.  I have tried a Plantronics 975 without success as well.  All the headsets worked fine when connected to other phones. 

Rather than go down the trial and error path of trying headsets hoping for one that works I am likely going to return the phone.  I did log it as an issue within the restock window.  While I do like the HTC One, it does need to be a working phone first and foremost.

0 Likes
johnnyC604

I have indeed done a hard reset on the phone, and it did no good. The response I received form Jawbone was to reload the latest firmware and return the headset to factory settings. This did no good at all.  I also contacted HTC, and apparently they do not have a solution other than telling me to use a wired headset or the internal loudspeaker. I just saw the post from oldcanoe, and I am going to have to do what he is doing, return the phone for another model that will work with one of the  bluetooth headsets I currently own.

0 Likes
31tudor
Enthusiast - Level 3

I called my local VZW store two days before the release date, and again the day before the release date to make sure they had these in stock. I was standing in front of the store 30 minutes before opening to be sure I got one before they sold out. Silly of me, as I was the only one who got one that day.

Regardless, I've been using BT headsets for years and using 4500 minutes a month you can quickly conclude that I NEED a headset. I've been through the same things you all have, trying other headsets, rebooting the phone, resetting the phone to default, clearing BT memory/history, etc.

VZW's latest instruction to me was: Settings>Apps>Bluetooth Share>Clear Data and try again.

Here's a short list of BT headsets on hand that I've tested:

• Plantronics Voyager Pro
  • Plantronics Legend Pro
  • Jawbone Icon
  • Motorola something or another... no model number on it.
  • Jabra Sense - I think that's what it's called, gave it to my daughter.

EVERY one of these worked perfectly on my HTC Thunderbolt except the Legend Pro, I just purchased it. They all work perfectly on my wife's iPhone5, my daughter's iPhone4S and my old T-bolt. Tested all since the release of the One.

From what I've read this isn't really a VZW issue or an HTC issue, but as consumers we need to hold them responsible until it's fixed. Don't quote me on this because it's only heresy, but Google completely rewrote the Bluetooth Stack protocol with 4.0. Some equipment sorts that new programming fine, some doesn't. Google is well aware of the problem although VZW and HTC seem to be playing dumb on it, and it supposedly addressed in 4.3.

We were PROMISED 4.3 by the end of September, then again by the end of October by the President of VZW, Jason Mackenzie. As of two days ago the so-called promise is now by the end of November!?

Why do I bring this up? Because Google has "reportedly" addressed this issue in 4.3. I don't know anyone with a One one any other carrier, so asking if 4.3 resolved the issue is a moot point for me. Anyone know if the other carriers 4.3 has solved this ridiculous, painful issue?

0 Likes
drumtrucker

Have HTC One and people are telling they cannot understand me on whichever of my several bluetooth headsets that worked fine with my Razr Maxx.  They describe it just as you and others in here have.  Way over amplified.  Wish I had of finally realized that is probably the phone while I still could have returned it...

0 Likes
B33
Legend

D.T I wonder if it has anything to with the Beats Audio have you found a feature's setting that can be Disabled.. Possibly!  I'll do some looking see what I can find

0 Likes
drumtrucker

I'll try that next.  I had installed a bunch of different SIRI like assistant apps (Utter beta) being the last one and wondered if any or all of them had futzed up the bluetooth mic gain.  I tried uninstalling them and rebooting, but did not seem to help.

0 Likes