Can't add custom ringtones
CathyLane1

I want make three custom ringtones, and I succeeded on one.  Here's exactly what I did:

Last week, for the first contact, I transferred an MP3 file to the Downloads directory on the Thunderbolt using Windows Explorer with the phone connected to the computer with the USB cable.  I went to the contact (People icon on the home screen) and selected Ringtone.  The new one was in the list, I selected it, no problem.

Last night, I tried to do the same thing for the other two.  I connected the phone and transferred two MP3 files to the Downloads directory (and verified they are there).  I selected one of the two People and selected Ringtone; the two files were _not_ in the list of ringtones available.

How did I go wrong?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can't add custom ringtones
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

put them in a folder on the sd card called

media/ringtones

other folders can be music, wallpaper, notifications, alarms, books, ......

its the locations android looks for these items, or so i was informed during research

View solution in original post

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

put them in a folder on the sd card called

media/ringtones

other folders can be music, wallpaper, notifications, alarms, books, ......

its the locations android looks for these items, or so i was informed during research

0 Likes
CathyLane1

I don't have a folder by that name.  Makes sense, though. 

I put the first sound file in the downloads folder and it worked just fine; the second and third time, it didn't.  Do you know why?

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Did you try a reboot?  Sometimes the media scan can be flaky and a reboot should reinitialize the scan.

0 Likes
CathyLane1

Yep.

I'll add that /media/ringtones folder with Windows Explorer and see what happens.

By "default," does the Thunderbolt have an SD card or just internal memory?   I got mine in late April from a Verizon store.  They did all the installation and setup.  I didn't buy s separate SD card.

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

website says it has a 32gb card included

0 Likes
BMadden

Cathy, I put my custom ringtones in a folder named sounds and they work just fine.  I don't have the subfolder under media on my Tbolt either.

0 Likes
CathyLane1

I just added a /media/ringtones folder.  It worked!

0 Likes