Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Can't add custom ringtones
CathyLane1

I want make three custom ringtones, and I succeeded on one.  Here's exactly what I did:

Last week, for the first contact, I transferred an MP3 file to the Downloads directory on the Thunderbolt using Windows Explorer with the phone connected to the computer with the USB cable.  I went to the contact (People icon on the home screen) and selected Ringtone.  The new one was in the list, I selected it, no problem.

Last night, I tried to do the same thing for the other two.  I connected the phone and transferred two MP3 files to the Downloads directory (and verified they are there).  I selected one of the two People and selected Ringtone; the two files were _not_ in the list of ringtones available.

How did I go wrong?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Can't add custom ringtones
mdram4x4
Leader

put them in a folder on the sd card called

media/ringtones

other folders can be music, wallpaper, notifications, alarms, books, ......

its the locations android looks for these items, or so i was informed during research

View solution in original post

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Leader

put them in a folder on the sd card called

media/ringtones

other folders can be music, wallpaper, notifications, alarms, books, ......

its the locations android looks for these items, or so i was informed during research

0 Likes
CathyLane1

I don't have a folder by that name.  Makes sense, though. 

I put the first sound file in the downloads folder and it worked just fine; the second and third time, it didn't.  Do you know why?

0 Likes
PJNC284

Did you try a reboot?  Sometimes the media scan can be flaky and a reboot should reinitialize the scan.

0 Likes
CathyLane1

Yep.

I'll add that /media/ringtones folder with Windows Explorer and see what happens.

By "default," does the Thunderbolt have an SD card or just internal memory?   I got mine in late April from a Verizon store.  They did all the installation and setup.  I didn't buy s separate SD card.

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Leader

website says it has a 32gb card included

0 Likes
BMadden

Cathy, I put my custom ringtones in a folder named sounds and they work just fine.  I don't have the subfolder under media on my Tbolt either.

0 Likes
CathyLane1

I just added a /media/ringtones folder.  It worked!

0 Likes