Can't send/receive picture message
jessica_v
Enthusiast - Level 2

Up until a week ago I could send and receive picture messages without my WiFi or data enabled, and members of my household still can.  I went to Verizon store and they told I was never able to send the message without data.  Well, that is just not true, because I did.  I tried to call Verizon support but the wait time was basically endless.  Then I started reading on the Verizon community.  Several people have posted about similar problems and received different answers from Verizon support, ranging from, "you always needed data to send" to "you need data to send after the update" to "the update caused this problem and Verizon is working on a fix".  So, I am wondering if someone or multiple representatives from Verizon can speak with some certainty on this issue.  I would like to go back to being able send a picture message without my data on as I generally keep it off.

Re: Can't send/receive picture message
Brittanysphone
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same issue with sending and receiving photos. I really hate the update

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want you to be able to send those pictures jessica.v! I'm sorry to hear of your difficulties. Please be aware that picture and video messages can't be sent over wifi. They require that cellular data is turned on. I understand your concerns with minimizing wireless data; however, most plans include unlimited picture and video messaging. What plan do you have with us currently?

JonathanK_VZW
VZWSupport
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes
jessica_v
Enthusiast - Level 2

Can you explain why I need the data turned on now (only in the last week or so) but not anytime before (I've been using this phone since January)?  It began after an update to my HTC One, although I don't if they are related.  The other member of my household with the same phone hasn't had the update and can still send and receive picture messages without data enabled.  I just want to understand the change, if that is how its going to be from now on, and I am 100% sure it did not require data for the last 6 months.

merediths
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the same issue.  I also now have to have data on to send a group message.  This all starated with the update.  Is there a way to fix it or change it back?  I don't understand why it changed.

merediths
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the same issue now.  I could send picture text and group text with out data on before and now I have to have it on to send or receive these messages.  How can this be fixed as it was not an issue two weeks ago.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@merediths,

VZW to the rescue! You need to be connected the VZW network to send picture messages. Are you able to send the picture messages when not connected to wifi?

JohnB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
jessica_v
Enthusiast - Level 2

Can you define "connected to the VZW network"?  I do not have to have the wifi on, but I do have to enable data.  I am just looking for an answer as to why I could send picture messages without data enabled up until two weeks ago, but now I cannot.

0 Likes
irisheyes4477

I am having the same exact issue, and I just don't understand why I now need to have a data connection to download a picture or send one via text.  It works without needing to do that when I send or receive pictures through my email on the same device.  This makes absolutely no sense.  I went to the store the day after this software update happened and they had no solution for me, other than to back it up and do a hard reset.  I spent 6 hours backing everything up but I'm afraid to do a hard reset.  It seems like I don't really have to do that.  In addition, with this software update, I lost my ring tone, alarm tone, etc and that type is no longer available.  All I want is a plain and simple phone ring, like an old fashion phone.  I don't need some fancy ring tone.  Is anyone else having the ring tone issue too?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Jessica.v,

I can shed some light on this mystery! I apologize for all the stress this is causing. The VZW Network is the data connection between a phone and our cell towers. In previous software versions, even when connected to Wi-Fi, your phone would automatically switch to the VZW Network to send your picture or video messages. It did this without notifying you or requiring you to turn Wi-Fi off.

Here's a great way to show you that all phones use the VZW Network to send those types of messages! If the other members in your household have Android phones have one of them turn their Mobile Data off and then try to send a picture message from that phone. If they have an Apple device have them turn their Cellular Data off and try sending a picture message to a non-Apple device. The picture messages will fail because the data is turned off - even if Wi-Fi is on.

*Please note that Apple devices can still send these messages to other Apple devices with a Wi-Fi only connection because they support iMessage.

Let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with!

SarahO_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes