Can't set default browser
theNorman

Since the recent software update, I am unable to set Opera as my default browser,

After the update the stock browser became the default browser.

Went into the "Internet" app setting and hit Clear Defaults.

The next link the I tapped should have popped a dialog that asked me for the default app for this action. Just launched the stock browser.

Try reinstalling Opera and clearing defaults on Internet again. No change.

Any ideas?

Is this a bug in the latest release?

Thanks,

Norman

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can't set default browser
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You need to go to Settings >applications > manage applications > application associations and change the browser default to Opera browser.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You need to go to Settings >applications > manage applications > application associations and change the browser default to Opera browser.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
theNorman

Thank you Ann154.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

BTW it isn't a bug in the release of the update, but instead HTC's way to get around the patent dispute with Apple.

I don't like this application associations setting. It won't allow me to view YouTube videos in the YouTube application. The messed up the Play Store links too.

0 Likes
theNorman

I read about these patent issues. The article talked about a work around when clicking a phone number in a web page. I didn't realize it would impact us too.

Having to use this work around makes me want to run right out and buy an iPhone. NOT!

Hey Apple, Samsung, HTC, etc, let's compete on price, performance and features instead of suing each other to death. We all end up paying for all those legal fees eventually.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Why don't you innovate something and eat the developmental costs. Also patents spur innovation.

Not saying the patent system is perfect and needs adjusting. There will be a negative impact without it and would affect us more than not having it.

0 Likes