Cannot get updates via OTA
dvpatel
Enthusiast - Level 3

Got he TB in May. It was a replacement of my original one within 14 days as the bottom panel was popping out in my first phone. The VZW rep at the store when he activated the phone accidentally started a FW upgrade and cancelled it by pulling the battery. I have no issues with the phone except, it doesn't do anything when I check for new updates. I am still on the factory original FW. Never got the June update, the July fix for the rebooting issue of the June update and never got the Sept. Gingerbread update. Now that the fixed GB is rolling out, I have been trying to pull the update by checking the update. I get the small window saying checking for updates and then the window just vanishes in 5 or so seconds. I checked out my friends' TBs and they all roll a OTA message on the top bar and then come back and say there are no updates but my phone never goes in OTA mode so I am not sure if its even checking for updates.

I have spent more than 2 hours on separate days with VZW tech support and they keep telling me that its a HTC issue and HTC is responsible for the roll outs and even though my phone doesn't go in OTA mode, I should be getting the push. I did tell 'em that I didn't get any other pushes so why would I get it now since its not going in OTA mode at all.

I even called HTC. As expected, they're saying that VZW owns the rollout and they're responsible for the devices getting or not getting updates.

VZW tech support has a fix. Swap the handset for another which I know is going to be refurb. I don't want my handset changed.

Any ideas or more information on how to go about getting this fixed?

Should I just flash the unmodified RUU and be done with it? Should I flash an earlier RUU and see if my phone starts working with OTA or what? I would be happy to accept a replacement handset if its brand new as I feel that this is not my fault and the device is not abused or broken. I only use it as a phone and to check email and FB. I have no apps installed and no games installed either.

Any one have any advice for me?

I have tried the factory reset with the first tech. Tried the "check-in" method and no dice. I have tried forcing the phone into 1X mode and still no dice.

Anyone who has more technical insight care to chime in?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Cannot get updates via OTA
dvpatel
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was finally able to get an update. A VZW employee was helping me via PMs for a few days now. Finally, today, my phone managed to first pull 1.70.605.0 update and then 2.11.605.5 update and was updated to the latest s/w in about 30 minutes for both updates (being in a solid 4G region helps with the rather large downloads :smileyvery-happy:).

If you are still having issues, I believe one of the _VZW folks will now have to get involved and work with HTC to get your phone to update.

Thanks to the VZW employee and the others at VZW and HTC and on these forums who helped me out.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Are you in an area with a strong VZW signal??? (Not roaming or on extended network)

I am surprised a factory reset (where you have to reload apps and all) did not trigger it.

Just wondering, what is your PRL?

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Hey Budone you old p--p!  :smileyvery-happy:  how ya doing long time since we Talked i got my New PRL for my droids it's 40084 an there still hanging in there these old Droids but the new HTC Rezound  an Razr is looking Really good! :smileyhappy:  B33

0 Likes
dvpatel
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes. I get very strong 4GLTE signal. I have checked for updates with full bars on 4GLTE with a full battery many many times in the last week.

Android version: 2.2.1

Base Band: 1.16.00.0223r

Build Number: 1.12.605.6 CL338893 release-keys

PRL: 15075

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Just wondering, have you tried connected to 3G instead?

0 Likes
jslstephmsl
Enthusiast - Level 2
I have done the factory reset as well and mine searches that way so its not just you. Mine searches for a few seconds and then disappears.
0 Likes
dvpatel
Enthusiast - Level 3

budone wrote:

Just wondering, have you tried connected to 3G instead?

Yes. Tried in 4GLTE mode, 3G mode and even 1X mode as some site indicate success only in 1X. No dice for me. Just stopped by a VZW store as well as it was across the street from a Kohls I went to. They say I have to deal with Tech Support and that they cannot do anything for me. Seems they're all too happy to order me someone else's used {word filter avoidance} instead of looking what's wrong on what I already have.

:smileysad:

0 Likes
thechuck

How did you get in touch with somebody that offered to replace your phone? Everybody I talked to said that the update was still rolling out.

0 Likes
dvpatel
Enthusiast - Level 3

thechuck wrote:

How did you get in touch with somebody that offered to replace your phone? Everybody I talked to said that the update was still rolling out.

3 separate TechSupport guys on the phone and the one guy I saw in the store all are saying if the phone won't pull an update, perhaps I need to replace the handset and they're very willing to order me the replacement if I agree. I don't want my handset replaced. But if I choose to, I won't have any trouble what so ever.

0 Likes
chuck07
Enthusiast - Level 3

None of the techs that I talked to would offer they, they said that HTC is working on rolling it out. I am **bleep** about messages going to the wrong person. 

I wish I could get someone to give me one under warranty, I might go up to the Verizon store tonight.

Awesome convo with the 'tech' on the phone. I told him about my problem with my messages going to the wrong person. He said that there was nothing that could be done and that I was stuck with this phone. He said the phone isn't actually broken, it just has a bug. I wish I could use that line when I wrote software. (I know the people on the phone don't write software)

I think Verizon's handling of the Thunderbolt is becoming the best advertisement for Sprint. 

0 Likes