Check For Software Update Question
pat3332
Contributor - Level 2

I don't think this is a problem, but up until this morning, every time I tapped on Software update/Check new, I would get the message Checking for new software available, then I would get one of two messages. Either No software update available, or a message like No connection available.

Since this morning, I get the message Checking for new software available, then it just goes away and I don't get any other messages. I went to Verizon and the rep I talked to tried it and his did the same thing. Any one else noticed this change?

0 Likes
Re: Check For Software Update Question
AZSALUKI
Legend

mine always says "checking for new software available now"....then it pops up with "ERROR service unavailable." it's been like that since the day i bought it.

0 Likes
v-man
Enthusiast - Level 2

I received this error over the past few days:

Error

SERVICE UNAVAILABLE

Check for Software Update under

Settings when service is available

But starting today, I still receive the initial error, but it goes away on its own and I then displays the following error:

Error

Error: 2304

I hope this is positive news, so I contacted Verizon Support and was told they know nothing about any updates for the Thunderbolt.  I contacted HTC Support, but they said the latest OTA update was released last Monday.  Of course, there was no additional information available...

Neither Verizon or HTC could explain what the error meant.  They just always offer to replace it with a refurbished device.  Nothing quite like offering customers a phone that was used or abused by someone else, but likely with the same problems....

0 Likes
Esschoir
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes - I am seeing the exact same thing the OP reported.  I check for software update manually, it tries for a second or 2, then it goes away.  No error message.

0 Likes
DroidM
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same problem hear. Anybody else have this problem and has been able to get the new update?? Im hoping this just means it will be available soon but so far Im reading several people have gotten the Update and I still can't even get mine to tell me if it's available or not....

0 Likes
ps653

Mine has been doing that for at least a week now.  Check new window just goes away with no other notification.  No update available, no notice that there is none available, no error.  It just disappears. 

0 Likes
bearx16
Contributor - Level 1

pat3332 wrote:

I don't think this is a problem, but up until this morning, every time I tapped on Software update/Check new, I would get the message Checking for new software available, then I would get one of two messages. Either No software update available, or a message like No connection available.

Since this morning, I get the message Checking for new software available, then it just goes away and I don't get any other messages. I went to Verizon and the rep I talked to tried it and his did the same thing. Any one else noticed this change?

I am starting the 2nd day of this exact action on my TB.  I'm 67 yoa and when my 2 yr. contract is up I will be seriously considering dropping my wireless service.  I like gadgets, however, I survived without wireless for 45+ years and I think I can live without it for my time remaining on God's beautiful earth as,for me, a cell phone is now nothing but a gadget.  If someone wants me, they can get a hold of me after I get home from my motorcycle ride.:smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes
Sborden
Enthusiast - Level 3
Don't download it. Its none of the things stated on the flyer. The only thing it does do is take away mobile hotspot. There is no bookmark (no loss), there is no tabbed browsing in app drawer, the bluetooth is not fixed....DONT download it, nothing but lies as usual
0 Likes
DroidM
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sborden wrote:
Don't download it. Its none of the things stated on the flyer. The only thing it does do is take away mobile hotspot. There is no bookmark (no loss), there is no tabbed browsing in app drawer, the bluetooth is not fixed....DONT download it, nothing but lies as usual

As far as I know the Update did add performance improvements to the phone. This according to a few who have already posted hear. Also and most important it seems to have solved the Random Re-Boot problem that has plagued many T-Bolt users that past few months. I can't speak to any of this because my phone has yet to get the stupid Update. I would really like to get it but when ever I check the phone states it is looking for new Update then simply stops with out a response (Normally a window pops up saying No New Update or if there is one....) Im really annoyed hear We all know VZW  watches these post so why has nobody from VZW answered this question IS THERE A PROBLEM WITH THE PHONE!!! I I should be told the UPDATE is not available to me or get it not this disappearing act...... HOW ABOUT AN ANSWER BIG RED!!!

0 Likes
Tboltaz
Contributor - Level 1

Sborden wrote:

I don't think you could be any more WRONG this update is exactly what the pdf doc states, so far completely fixes reboots. It doesnt say it makes a tabbed app drawer. It says app menu tabbed, which is only on certain apps. Helps with performance overall, i absolutely love it and starting to love my phone again after this update. Don't listen to Sbordens post, couldn't be further from the truth. If your getting the service unavailable message look at my thread i started about an email i got from HTC, there is a tip in there(from htc) to get it working.(havent tested the trick cause i aready have the update)

0 Likes