Check For Software Update Question
pat3332
Contributor - Level 2

I don't think this is a problem, but up until this morning, every time I tapped on Software update/Check new, I would get the message Checking for new software available, then I would get one of two messages. Either No software update available, or a message like No connection available.

Since this morning, I get the message Checking for new software available, then it just goes away and I don't get any other messages. I went to Verizon and the rep I talked to tried it and his did the same thing. Any one else noticed this change?

0 Likes
84 Replies
Lt-Belspur
Enthusiast - Level 3

Upgraded market did not do it for me either.

Waiting on a PM to see whats going on.

0 Likes
pat3332
Contributor - Level 2

Okay, thanks. When it worked for me it must have been a weird coincidence that it started working right after I updated the market. I was hoping maybe it was a fix for the problem, but apparently you start getting the messages again when the update is pushed to you.

0 Likes
fanman2
Enthusiast - Level 2

FYI...one thing I have noticed about the NEWEST UPDATE (Build/Software # 1.70.605.0), that wasn't on my phone prior to installing the NEWEST update...is that when you touch check new, the software update window opens on the screen, and, this is the new thing it's doing...an arrow pointing down with with two circular half arows around it appears in the notification bar, with the words, "OTA Device Management" behind it.

Also, As explained earlier, I downloaded the update early Wednesday morning, 13 July and have NOT had ANY reboots since then, and am up to 123:00 hours uptime...:smileyhappy:!!!

0 Likes
B33
Legend

I'd say Pat the list i seen is going to address some important things for T-bolt. And hopefully it gets to all of the T-bolts soon, as for me i got another year   :smileysad:   before i can upgrade but i do have a HTC device its a Dinc. An then i got Birtha my Droid X so i keep Hoppin with those Too.!  :smileytongue:   :smileyvery-happy:   :smileywink:

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Ann is the update suppose to help the T-bolt in lots of Area's. O i wanted to add it's comming on your 1 year Anniversery of being on here 7 / 22 / 2010 Congrats.!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
@vx1
The latest baseband version has been posted in this thread.

http://community.vzw.com/t5/ThunderBolt-by-HTC/Battery-after-most-recent-update/td-p/588510

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
fanman2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had the exact same problems the OP had.

I started checking for the latest update the night it was released and could not get it.  I then learned that Verizon was pushing the  OTA updates in batches to avoid a huge logjam on their regional and local networks, and was told that it would take a week or two to push the OTA update to all ThunderBolt owners and that I should just check my phone once a day...and that I would eventually get the update when it it was pushed to my "region".

I did this and late Tuesday night, 12 June and/or early Wednesday morning, 13 June...the update was pushed to my phone and I successfully downloaded it and am EXTREMELY HAPPY with the results.

FYI...I have not had one reboot in the past 78 hours...:smileyhappy:!!! 

0 Likes
pat3332
Contributor - Level 2

At least now we know that if our software update messages disappear, we'll still get the update eventually. I know they were busy with the update, but it would have been nice if someone had explained that to us though.

0 Likes
Thunderdroid
July 17th. Still no update. This process of downloading giant files over the air is poorly though out. Android will only get bigger and bigger. SOLUTION: VZW needs to start using the Internet to push and pull updates. Why not let users update via WiFI instead of OTA? This would allow many users to update at once and not crash the wireless network, which should be reserved for Voice first and data second. This is a very simple solution and the future way to upgrade handsets for all carriers.
0 Likes
Not applicable

Thanks everyone for your input. The update is being pushed out in phases and will eventually reach all of your devices. It normally takes about a week for software updates to be received by all devices. We have received information that the push should be received by 7/18 (dates are always subject to change). If you have still not received the update by then and still saying no updates available when you check for updates, reply to this message and we can further troubleshoot. 

0 Likes
jaschne

Please help!  I still have not received the update.  Everytime I try to check for new it says "Service Unavailable".

0 Likes
pat3332
Contributor - Level 2

At this point, I think there are only about 2 choices. I could be wrong about that, so maybe someone has another suggestion. 1. Call Verizon Tech Support and talk to them, or 2. Just try to be patient and wait until the OTA is pushed to your phone. I don't think talking to tech support is going to be that satisfying because they'll probably just tell you that the update is still being pushed out and to wait for it and call back in X number of days if you don't get it by then. But at least by talking to someone, you'll feel like you tried doing something.

Wish I had better suggestions for you.

0 Likes
Cowboy
Enthusiast - Level 2

and here's the 19th!... and nada.. nothing. zippo. nil. etc...   By now they SHOULD have hit 90% of the handsets, if they were targetting completion by the 18th.. so why not let those of us who NEED or WANT the update to check for it?

0 Likes
Cowboy
Enthusiast - Level 2

okay. it's the 18th.. nada..  replying to MarquiaF_VZW's specific message here, hoping it does something. 

0 Likes
Cowboy
Enthusiast - Level 2
okay. so I respond to the original post, and it just ends up "in stream", not "below and offset" from the original post.. so what the hell ever.. i just hope this update shows up . I am sick and tired of the reboots...
0 Likes
Sborden
Enthusiast - Level 3

they will probably just tell you "Well the 18th isnt over yet, so if you dont have it by midnight tonight, then let us know"  

The usual Verizon **bleep** line.

0 Likes
ps653

MarquiaF_VZW wrote:

Thanks everyone for your input. The update is being pushed out in phases and will eventually reach all of your devices. It normally takes about a week for software updates to be received by all devices. We have received information that the push should be received by 7/18 (dates are always subject to change). If you have still not received the update by then and still saying no updates available when you check for updates, reply to this message and we can further troubleshoot. 

It's the 18th. No update.  Still says checking for new and then nothing. As reported previously it hasn't returned an error or a no updates available message for a couple of weeks now.

0 Likes
ktownsend3240

I keep getting the same problem, I just got my Droid Incredible 2 last Tuesday and I have tried to get my software update and it says ERROR, Download Failed. I wonder if there something else that's needed to be done for this update to go through.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Ktownsend3240 said:

I keep getting the same problem, I just got my Droid Incredible 2 last Tuesday and I have tried to get my software update and it says ERROR, Download Failed. I wonder if there something else that's needed to be done for this update to go through.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Try doing a battery pull . Pull the battery when the incredible 2 is on then while the battery is out hold down the power button for a few seconds reinstall the battery power it up let it set for about 4 to 5 min then go to software update an try the update again.

One other thing to remember they pute the update out in regions or sections an they do this so if there is a issue with the update they can stop it.  an so that everone with a incredible 2 is not affected by it. 

Does that help answer your question.  :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
pat3332
Contributor - Level 2

I'm not familiar with your phone and I may be wrong, again, but I think the latest update we have been talking about is for the Thunderbolt. I think some Incredible 2's  may have Gingerbread installed and I don't think it's a 4G phone. Not being familiar with your phone, I don't know if you will get that message if there's no update available, or if it just can't connect to the server. You may have to check with Verizon. Maybe someone more familiar with your phone can help out.

Have you checked in the Incredible 2 forum?

http://community.vzw.com/t5/DROID-Incredible-2-by-HTC/bd-p/DroidIncredible2

Sorry I couldn't be more help

0 Likes
vx1
Enthusiast - Level 2

MarquiaF_VZW wrote:

Your posts have been most helpful. Can you tell us what the build number should be when the update is done so folks can confirm it happened properly?

0 Likes