Continuous Rebooting after upgrading to 7.02.605.10 ICS
ricerocket17

Is anyone else having an issue with their thunderbolt rebooting itself after the new ICS 7.02.605.10 build update??

0 Likes
Re: Continuous Rebooting after upgrading to 7.02.605.10 ICS
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Nope, I'm not having reboot issues.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
iversonno3
Enthusiast - Level 1

My Thunderbolt reboots roughly every five minutes since the latest upgrade which was automatically pushed to my phone.  (It has rebooted three times in the time it has taken me to write this.)  The phone becomes very hot and I get an "activating your phone" message on the lock screen that does not go away.  The battery completely drains within 30 minutes if not plugged in.  I have factory-reset my phone (which is a very time consuming process) several times to no avail. When the phone does work, the operating system is impossibly slow and full of glitches.  Applications take nearly a minute to open or close, phone calls take several minutes to go through, and the keypad seems to have a mind of its own.  (From reading various forums, I understand these issues are widespread on this device after the upgrade.)  I have gone to three VZW stores in NYC, each of which have mentioned several consumers coming in with similar complaints over the past few days, and none of which offered support or advice other than to factory reset.  (And the occasional, "that sucks, sorry.")

Every one of these issues has occurred only after ICS and subsequent upgrades.  The Thunderbolt was a nice phone and I have been a mostly happy owner since the day it launched.  But the updates that have been forcibly pushed to the phone (despite deferring multiple times) have rendered the phone virtually useless.

I understand that it's not reasonable for VZW to be held accountable for normal "wear and tear" effects of older, out-of-warranty phones.  It's one thing for a phone to become tired and sluggish after two years of use, but it's quite another for the malfunction to be the direct result of a carrier- and manufacturer-endorsed software update.  This is not a problem with my specific phone nor a result of its age.  The cause-and-effect is clear, and others' experiences have strengthened this belief.  To me, it feels as if a VZW employee came into my house, took my phone out of my hand, dropped it into a pot of water, and took no responsibility when the phone stopped working. 

Nowhere in my contract does it say I must upgrade my phone every two years, especially if I am satisfied with my current phone.  And even though I don't believe this is VZW's intention, I sure do feel like this is a backhanded way to force a new phone purchase and contract extension.  I believe it is irresponsible for a carrier to endorse and forcibly manipulate the software on a device that is out-of-warranty, without offering a remedy if there is an issue.  (Many Thunderbolts are out-of-warranty at this point.)  If you do indeed endorse this upgrade (your website says, "Verizon Wireless and HTC encourage you to download this update"), then please stand behind it with your manufacturer partners.

VZW, if you are reading this, please address this widespread issue and please communicate, not just for me but for all of the Thunderbolt owners experiencing these issues.  I have been happy with VZW's service and support since the days of Bell Atlantic / NYNEX and I find myself very disappointed in the company's response to this issue thus far.

ricerocket17

@iversonno3, I think we had the same problem. I also had that message with

the picture of the SIM card on it, saying that it would take a few minutes

to activate&reboot.

I finally gave up on it and did a factory reset on the phone. FYI, factory

reset just resets the phone to the base content with the droid OS still on

ICS with build 7.02.605.10. However, seems at the very least the rebooting

has stopped for now. On the other hand, the USB connection from

computer-to-phone has stopped working...will post again if any further

issues.

0 Likes
iversonno3
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the reply.  Hope your phone stays stable.  I will post again on my end as well if there are any updates.

0 Likes
dmartin5656

My thunderbolt has had nothing but problems since the "upgrade".  When I try and type a text message, it either freezes or goes crazy and starts typing random letters by itself.   I am also having the issue with apps opening without me pressing anything. When I do try and open an app, its really slow or a completely different app opens instead.

I try and look through my contact list and the phone just continues to scroll through the names nonstop and I usually have to turn my phone off completely for it to stop.

My phone will work fine for a few minutes then all of a sudden start doing crazy stuff. I have done a factory reset and that did nothing.  I have also had to take the battery out on several occasions now because my phone completely freezes.  I loved my phone before this upgrade.  Now, I find myself getting more and more frustrated and counting down the months until my contract is up so I can switch carriers.  I have had verizon for a long time but if they don't do something soon about this awful glitch in their "upgrade" they are going to lose a lot of long time customers. 

Please post again if you find a fix for these issues people are having with their phones now. 

0 Likes
AcN_Rupert
Enthusiast - Level 2

Mine and my wifes thunderbolts have become horrible since the upgrade was pushed.  Apps are slow, or don't even load some times.  Trying to make a phone call is sluggish and at times it will try to call twice at the same time for some reason.

however, i overlooked all of this because i liked the look of ICS.  then last week after being pushed two updates in a row, it now will just turn off at random times.  i can't even go to a webpage anymore because it will immediately crash.  better yet, when i try to reboot the phone, it will get to the point where it recognizes the verizon network, and then just shut off again.  this happened to me 8 times in a row the other day.  it will also say that the battery is in the red, even though it had a full charge before the crash.

i have found that if i plug my phone in and then boot it up, it will boot up correctly.  that is the only way i have been able to get it to actually boot up since all of this started happening.  it will still show the battery is about to die, and then about 15 minutes later it will show it is at 100% again.

i tried to do the chat with a reprensentative today and the guy was asking for my account password before he could look into my issue.  what kind of company asks for a password.  that is the dumbest thing i have seen.  so now, i have a phone that "sometimes" works, and online chat that reminds me of a scamming site. 

when my wife called to talk to someone they told her that it was htc's fault and that it would cost us $60 each to switch to new phones.  how is that customer service?  besides, verizon's network sent the update.  there is no way that they can try to say it wasn't their fault.  that isn't how the real world works.

i hated at&t, but at least i never had to deal with crap like this...

0 Likes
msg452
Enthusiast - Level 3

this has to be one of the best posts I've read on the matter of the Thunderbolt problems and Verizon's liability and lack of attention.  I feel absolutely disgusted with this practice of forced updates and lack of response to broken devices.  It feels near criminal to me.

0 Likes
msg452
Enthusiast - Level 3

Mine seems to be fixed now.  Seemed to have a weak battery.

A little background - I did carry out a device hard reset shortly after the first ICS update, but not after the subsequent one.  First thing I noticed after the first update was reduced battery life.  After the second update, I began to have the random reboot issue, sometimes going from 60%-70% battery to zero, unexpectedly, then shutting down.  It would usually quickly recharge, which didn't make sense at first, but turns out is indicative of a weak battery.  So is the phone/battery being unusually hot, which I also experienced at times.

I tried a new battery - the device has been relatively stable ever since.  Works pretty well now, actually.  I've not seen a single unexpected reboot since replacing the battery, and the battery life is much more linear/stable.  I should note that another Thunderbolt user at my office was having a terrible time with her device, too.  It was realllllllly slow, not very responsive at all.  She'd not done a hard reset after either update.  I only did the hard reset after the first update.  After we did the hard reset of her device, it performed much, much better.

I can only speculate that perhaps my battery was weak before the updates, and the updates just stressed the battery, making a bad condition worse.

I'm not saying that this will fix your phones, but it's helped at least two, so those of you who like your Thunderbolts can probably get a bit more satisfactory use of your devices with a new battery and hard reset of your device.  Verizon doesn't seem to offer the batteries, so I ordered mine from SEIDIO; they have a 1750mAh battery that fits with the stock back.  this is 350mAh greater capacity than the stock battery.  Be sure to allow for several full 8+ hour charges as recommended and try to let the battery run down in between charges instead of having it live on its charger.

http://www.seidioonline.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=thunderbolt

0 Likes
BraveLittleToaster

>>Duplicate post removed.  Discussions concerning rooting, jailbreaking, hacking, etc., are against the forum's <<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes