Damaged during shipping... Dang you fedex/verizon
mstrouty

So I finally switched to verizon from t-mobile and ordered the thunderbolt online.  I had it overnighted to me and it arrived Friday evening.  When I recieved it, there was a little speck on the screen that was barely noticeable.  No big deal right? I figured the it was going to get some scratches here and there and instead of trying to deal with returning it I'd just live with it...

Big mistake.

Two days later the small speck has 'sprouted' wings and is now a little crack.  Nothing too bad, mind you, but enough that at my first chance I take it into a Verizon store to look at.  The Verizon girl confirms that it is a little crack, but tells me that she can't help me there and that I need to call support and that they would get it taken care of

They didn't.

After first being reassured that I was going to be getting a replacement, (and about an hour of being on hold), I was told I waited too long to tell them about it and that it was marked as being damaged.  The insurance that I had 30 days to apply for was no longer available.  My 14-day return window was no longer applicable.  I could either cancel my account and eat $400 in early cancellation fees or get a new thunderbolt for $300.  The guy was even nice enough to offer me a refurbished thunderbolt for $200.

Wow, that is so kind of you Verizon.

So I guess the moral of the story is you had better get a magnifying glass out if you order online and inspect your phone when it arrives.  That little speck that is barely noticeable might end up costing you $400 two days later.  Heck, I wish I had at least been the one to drop/crack it.  Then all I could be mad at is myself...

As for me, after 3 days I'm done with Verizon.  It might not be entirely their fault (fedex may be mostly to blame), but being left out to dry three days after switching carriers is leaving a bad taste in my mouth...  As soon as I can, I'm going to eat the cancellation fee and go AT&T.  They might not have as fast/good of a network, but I've had friends who have had stuff like this happen and it seemed to have worked out MUCH better for them...

0 Likes
Re: Damaged during shipping... Dang you fedex/verizon
budone
Legend

Was going to offer someone to contact, but since you are leaving.

0 Likes
vereyezuhn
Master - Level 3

Your timeline does not add up at all. Which leads me to believe you are leaving out parts of your story... You say it had a speck on the screen the day you recieved it... Okay that's 1 day into your 14 day return window...

2 days later it turned into a crack (which would not happen without a lot of pressure on the screen). That's 3 days into your 14 day window...

And now all of a sudden you're past your 30 day window to purchase insurance??? What did you do in the 27 days between noticing the crack/speck, and taking it to the store/calling tech support?

And then at the end of your post you say "after 3 days I'm done with Verizon." If that was the case, you'd still be in your 14 day return window. There is something you are leaving out. I have a feeling you cracked the screen on accident, didn't purchase insurance, and now are trying to get a replacement. Good luck with AT&T.

0 Likes
mstrouty

Phone arrived Friday night. The crack really started getting noticeable yesterday (Sunday).  I brought it into the store and called support today (Monday)

The phone can only be returned within 14 days if it is in 'like new' condition (which it is not).

I didn't sign up for insurance at the time because I thought that I would have a month (to review my options, etc).  But now that verizon knows the phone is damaged, I am ineligible to sign up for insurance.

Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt though... I'll try to explain myself a little clearer next time so people don't call me out on my 'story not making sense'...

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

you need to call back and demand a supervisor. if this is exactly what happened, then you need to make them understand that you noticed the chip when you opened it and that you didn't realize it would spider in a matter of days. the phone arrized damaged. keep at them until you get someone that can help.

0 Likes
vereyezuhn
Master - Level 3
As the other poster said, if the phone truly did arrive damaged, they will replace it. I apologize, you were saying you were out of your 30 day window (and 14 return period) yet you had only had the phone for 3 days. A lot of people will accidentally drop their new phones and then insist that it was given to them like that, even when they've kept it for months. Unfortunately it is true that Verizon will not let you add insurance after the phone is damaged. But they still should have let you return it in the 14 day window. I would call CS and speak to them. They should have atleast told you they would use your 1 exchange for it.
0 Likes
budone
Legend

vereyezuhn wrote:
As the other poster said, if the phone truly did arrive damaged, they will replace it. I apologize, you were saying you were out of your 30 day window (and 14 return period) yet you had only had the phone for 3 days. A lot of people will accidentally drop their new phones and then insist that it was given to them like that, even when they've kept it for months. Unfortunately it is true that Verizon will not let you add insurance after the phone is damaged. But they still should have let you return it in the 14 day window. I would call CS and speak to them. They should have atleast told you they would use your 1 exchange for it.

I am really lost if the OP has had the phone 14 or 30 days. However with the new return policy, whether the phone had been activated or not, the 14 day clock begins when it is purchased, not activated.

But again, I am really confused. (Not hard to do)

0 Likes
vereyezuhn
Master - Level 3

budone wrote:

vereyezuhn wrote:

I am really lost if the OP has had the phone 14 or 30 days. However with the new return policy, whether the phone had been activated or not, the 14 day clock begins when it is purchased, not activated.

But again, I am really confused. (Not hard to do)

Glad I'm not the only one! From their post, I originally thought they had their phone for more than 30 (they said the rep told them they could not add insurance since they were past their 30 day window) and then at the end of the post said they had only had the phone for 3 days... I think they cleared it up in the post I was replying to that they had only had the phone for 3 days when all this happened.

0 Likes
wgragg1

I agree with the poster who said you should talk with a supervisor.  Also, when you claim it was damaged in shipping, you have a very narrow window to complain and it needs to be made to the delivering company.  If the box was not damaged in any way, then it wasn't a shipping damage issue, but more likely a flaw from the factory or was damaged by Verizon in packing for shipping.  More likely the latter as you would expect there to be other damage.  You should probably approach it that way.

0 Likes
mstrouty

Sorry for any confusion.  As of today (April 6th), I have had the phone/contract less than a week.  You are given 30 days froim the time of purchase to pick up insurance (which I definitely wanted to do). However, since my phone is damaged, I can no longer buy it (even if it's only been a week).

I'm out of luck with the 14-day return window as well since the phone is damaged (even if it's been less than a week).

Sorry if in my initial post I seemed a little upset (because I was).  I'm a little calmer now and am going to try contact customer service again to see if they can help me.  I went with verizon because I heard great things (and the unlimited data plan) so hopefully things can work out.

I could also care less about the tiny little crack in it since it isn't noticeable with the screen on and the phone works great (btw, two days later, the crack hasn't gotten any bigger and when you look at it, it looks like a small spidery scratch.) I just would like to be able to buy insurance on the phone in case 1. the crack does get bigger 2. something else happens done the road (like I actually do drop it).  I would glady keep this phone if they'd let me have insurance, I just don't want to be fully liable to pay for a broken phone that I didn't even break.

So wish me luck. Hopefully CS can help me tonight and I can mark this as solved...

0 Likes