Dictionary and Voice Input Language is no longer in English
SammyInOH

Bottom line - my dictionary/predictive text is in another language and the microphone toggles between English and another language. How do I get it back to English?

The long story - Knowing that sometimes there are options for things under menus I wasn't expecting, I was checking out different categories in Settings to see what I may have not yet discovered.  I went to Language & Keyboard and then Select Language. I used the back arrow to get out of the screen without making changes but ended up changing the language to something like Croatian. Although I no longer recognized the words in the menus, I knew how to get to Settings and thought I knew how to get back to Language & Keyboard because of the letters on the icon. I chose the first item on the menu and choose English but no changes.  I tried switching to another language like French or Spanish so that I would at least be able to recognize a few words, but again no change.

Turns out I choose the wrong icon with letters. Instead of choose Language & Keyboard I had actually chosen Voice Input & Output. Turns out the first item under that menu leads to Voice Recognizer Settings which also leads to a language selection so it took me awhile to realize I was on the wrong menu.  Eventually I made it to the correct menu. I now have both Language & Keyboard and Voice Recognizer Settings set to English(United States).

Everything on my phone now looks normal with two exceptions.When my keyboard appears the microphone key now toggles between EN and HR (which I assume stands for Hravatski, a Croatian language) and the predictive text is for words in the other language.

It is, of course, quite likely I made other selections while the whole phone was in the other language but I'm pretty certain I was only in those two menus. 

How do I get everything back to English?

0 Likes
Re: Dictionary and Voice Input Language is no longer in English
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

SammyInOH, sounds like you’ve been through a lot. Great job getting the phone language set back to English while it was still in a different language. I can only imagine how frustrating that must have been.

You mentioned that everything is back to English except for when your keyboard appears the microphone key now toggles between EN and the predictive text is for words in the other language. Let’s get this straighten out!

On the Main screen go to Menu > Settings > Language &Keyboard > under Keyboard Setting select Touch Input .

1. Make sure the Keyboard type is set to Standard.
2. International Keyboard should be set to English.
3. Bilingual Prediction should be set to None.

This should take care of the issues you are having. If you need further assistance, please post back and I’ll be more than happy to further assist you.

John B

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
bravefan76

My Stratosphere suddenly does not have English words when texting either.  I tried the above steps, but I do not have the same selections as you mentioned above.  All my words it asks if I want to add it to the dictionary.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi bravefan76,

Let's review the steps that may be a bit different for your device. Please access Settings -> Language & keyboard -> Set locale and verify it's set to English. I also encourage to check "Swype", "Samsung Keypad" and "Android Keyboard" for the different language options available as they may change. Please keep us posted on these options.

Thank you,
MariaC_VZW
Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes