Did You get The Most Recent Firmware Update And Did It Work
DroidM
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok There seems to be alot of confusion on hear about the Friday ( 07-08-11) Update that was sent out to fix the Reboot issue with the Phone. Some people like my self have reported that they can not get the Update as there phone is getting an inability to connect to the network error, or the update window simply disappears with out a response (This is what is happening to me).

Many have reported that they got the update it fixed the reboot bug, and that they are seeing improvement in the phones functionality in general. Some people have reported that they have heard that the update is causing more problems. What I have yet to see (And I might have simply missed them) is reports from users that this has actually happened to them. So I started this Thread to see if we can't get a straight answer from the people that are actually using the phone (Because it seems VZW and HTC don't' seem to know or want to tell us right now) 

So hear is what Im asking 

1) Did you get the Update 

2) Did it Fix The Reboot Bug From The Last Update

3) How is the performance of the phone now

4) Has the latest update brought any new problems

Hopefully this clears up any confusion and we can all get a clear idea of weather this update is a worth bothering with.

0 Likes
Re: Did You get The Most Recent Firmware Update And Did It Work
Tidbits
Legend

DroidM wrote:

Ok There seems to be alot of confusion on hear about the Friday ( 07-08-11) Update that was sent out to fix the Reboot issue with the Phone. Some people like my self have reported that they can not get the Update as there phone is getting an inability to connect to the network error, or the update window simply disappears with out a response (This is what is happening to me).

Many have reported that they got the update it fixed the reboot bug, and that they are seeing improvement in the phones functionality in general. Some people have reported that they have heard that the update is causing more problems. What I have yet to see (And I might have simply missed them) is reports from users that this has actually happened to them. So I started this Thread to see if we can't get a straight answer from the people that are actually using the phone (Because it seems VZW and HTC don't' seem to know or want to tell us right now) 

1) Did you get the Update 

2) Did it Fix The Reboot Bug From The Last Update

3) How is the performance of the phone now

4) Has the latest update brought any new problems

Hopefully this clears up any confusion and we can all get a clear idea of weather this update is a worth bothering with.

There's mixed results. For the most part a lot of people are in the clear.  The best results is a full wipe then update so far from what I have read.  Mixed results with a straight update without the factory reset.

0 Likes
JimH4662
Enthusiast - Level 2

I got the update.

First: Fixed pretty much all the issues these forums complained about minus the belly aches some users are going to have regardless of phones. The only problem I see is My location. You still cannot list a local zip code in Weather widget to change My location. It picks up the closest towers which is 13 mile away. Living where I do makes that several degrees different on temp. That matters when it is freezing out. To fix that after checking the new update, I reloaded Fancy Widget, which allows you the options to load what ever Zipcode, street or house address up want and what ever local weather reporting station and use Weather bug or other weather provider.

Second: This baby gets hot now when using wide open, Web, reading Twitter, Bookmarks etc. Did got warm before update, but now it produces noticeably more heat on the back.,

It appears faster then it was before. Hard to tell on Battery drain, since I went to the Extended battery long ago to keep a full day use. Inconsistent. I new going in it was a battery hog. Appears stable and get 9 hours on a standard day which would consist of

Checking news, twitter, send several email, check weather conditions,web searches, read local paper,and Tunein for 6 hours.

0 Likes
Lt-Belspur
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have not received the update.

Check new software disappears after a few seconds.

Sarasota, FL

0 Likes
budone
Legend

DroidM wrote:

1) Did you get the Update Yes, I requested it at 7:50pm, 7/8/11

2) Did it Fix The Reboot Bug From The Last Update Yes

3) How is the performance of the phone now  Much better, I no longer have data drops so I no longer need to turn on and off Airplane mode to get data back

4) Has the latest update brought any new problems Zilch, none, nada, nope

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

it will likely be like any other update. it's probably fine for most users. however, if you go to any of the device forums around a date that an update was pushed, you are going to find plenty of deviecs that were adversely affected by that update. keep in mind that even the first update that was pushed in may only caused problems for some. there's over a million tbolts out there. some of them will have issues every time there is an update (not necessarily the same ones). i've already seen (on other forums and this one) complaints about connectivity, battery life, etc....since friday's update. i've also seen plenty of posts like budone's. i've never had to do a clean install or factory reset after an update. in the past, every update i've had pushed to other devices went flawlessly. however, if you did recieve the update and it seems to have caused problems, then i would suggest doing a factory reset to see if it clears everything up. some of the developers and users that know a lot more about this stuff than me, suggest that a factory reset after an OTA update is the best method (besides manually doing a clean install).

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Alot of times an app that works perfectly fine with the current software can be an issue and cause a conflict with any new update.

I forgot to add to my assessment above, that the battery life does not seem any different. Yesterday I purposely used Tune-In to see how much usage I would get out of the battery. It was my usual 3-1/2 hours.

Today I am just seeing how much standby I get out of it.

It is satisfactory for a stock battery, but VZW (and all carriers) really needs to spend the extra $5/phone to have juicier batteries installed in these new more powerful devices.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

yeah....other androids have shipped with 1700-1900mah batteries in the past. that would have made ALL the difference in the world. an 1850 (which wouldn't have had to bulk up the phone any) would've given us 40% more juice and would've been the difference between potential posts of "best battery life of any androids" and the actual posts of "worst battery life ever."

0 Likes
NightWatcher

Got the update Friday 7/8 after I manually checked for update.

Have not had a reboot all weekend, and prior to patch was rebooting at least every 12 hours... so that is fixed..

New issues...

I have the HTC extended battery...  up until Friday I could charge my phone over night.. take off the charger and drive to work and down to maybe 98% normally 99%...  since the patch I am at 95% or less.. . so battery drain is really bad...

Had to reset the phone once (Saturday morning) due to not connecting to Market and other internet apps.  Since I reset been ok...

0 Likes
Hollentour

1) Did you get the Update Yes

2) Did it Fix The Reboot Bug From The Last Update No

3) How is the performance of the phone now No better other than not turning off since the update, still not dependable

4) Has the latest update brought any new problems Haven't noticed any

0 Likes