Display suddenly stopped working, it was fine earlier tonight!
JiveTurkey1983

As stated, my phone was working fine, and when I went to use it again, only the backlight/soft keys lit up (making it look like a TV turned on w/ no signal...)  I know the phone is functional because when I called from a landline, the ring tone goes off.  Pressing the softkeys gives a haptic response as well.

I've done all the usual battery pulling, etc.  When the phone boots up, I do see the "HTC" logo, but then all I get is that dark black screen.  Any ideas?!

Oh yes, and I do occasionally hear a brief double clicking sound as if the screen is unlocked & locked in quick succession, but there are no changes to the screen.

0 Likes
Re: Display suddenly stopped working, it was fine earlier tonight!
AZSALUKI
Legend

i would try a factory reset, but you will lose all of your data on the phone (but not the sd card). i don't typically recommend a reset, but if you have tried a battery pull, reboot, etc, etc and it still does this then it doesn't sound good.

1. Turn the power off. If your HTC ThunderBolt is frozen, pull the battery out and reinsert it
  2. Hold the Volume Down button
  3. Press and hold the Power button until the device turns on
  4. You are now presented with a menu that allows for Fastbook, Recovery, Clear Storage, and Simlock
  5. Select Clear Storage by pressing the Volume Down button
  6. Press and release the Power button
  7. Now simply confirm your decision: Volume Up for YES and Volume Down for NO

All data including third-party applications will be deleted from the HTC ThunderBolt. Once the wipe is complete, the phone will reboot to its factory fresh state.

0 Likes
Re: Display suddenly stopped working, it was fine earlier tonight!
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JiveTurkey1983,

I'm so sorry to learn the screen is not working properly on your phone! Beyond the hard reset, if the issue persists, please send me (AdamE_VZW) a direct message for further assistance.

Thank you,
AdamE_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes