EPIC FAIL is Accurate!
Heliosgirl

I purchased a HTC Thunderbolt on April 13th and immediately had issues with no coverage (I have pictures) and dropped calls.  I went into the store twice and Verizon did a hard reset and a soft reset and told me there was no problem with the phone as I had 3 G in the store.  I told them I only had 1X and they told me that the issue should be resolved.  It wasn't and I called back.  Verizon told me I could exchange the phone but I had to pay a restocking fee.  I said that I had paid almost $300.00 and that my phone dropped calls and only had 1X service.  Verizon said there was nothing else they could do.  I went back into the store on the 14th day and told them I had to have a new phone because it was not working as promised.  I still had dropped calls and only 1X most of the time.  Verizon told me it was a network issue that was reported in the paper and on the news.  They said the network issue would be resolved in a couple of days and that my phone would work perfectly.  The network was restored and my phone still had the exact same problems.  When I went back I was told I went outside the 14 day warranty even though I had been into the store 3 times and called customer service 4 or 5 times.  I told them that I was promised my issues were a network issue and when the network was restored, the problems were still happening.  I was told there was nothing I could do.  Over the next two months, I had dropped calls, 1X service or NO service.  AT one point, I could not make a phone call or access the network.  So, I was paying for a phone that I could not even make a phone call on much less access the internet.  At this point, the phone started rebooting 5 or 6 times a day.  I use my phone for work and during meetings (AT MY JOB), the phone reboots and I hang up on my customers.  I called Verizon and the technical support person told me that my issue is a known issue that HTC has acknowledged.  He told me that a software update is being pushed out sometime that will fix the problem.  But the update has been delayed and no one is sure when HTC is going to release it.  I told him that I have to have my phone for work and this is impacting my job.  He told me that if he sends me a certified like new phone, it could have the same problem since so many of the Thunderbolts are defective.  SO, I said, I have to continue to pay for this phone even though I cannot make phone calls or access the network.  He said the best option is to wait for the update.  Then yet again, I could not make a call or access the network.  When I finally could, I called 611.  Verizon finally agreed (3 months later) to send me a new phone since Verizon admitted my phone was 'defective'.  Verizon shipped me a used phone!  I told them that I would accept a used phone if they refunded the difference I paid for a new phone 3 months ago that was labeled by Verizon as 'DOA' or 'Defective on Arrival'.  I have spent HOURS on the phone with customer service and hours in the store only to be told that my phone is defective and that my only option is a used Thunderbolt and that I could not have a refund of the cost difference.  Nicole, a technical support agent, told me that Verizon is doing me a 'courtesy' by handling my warranty issue since it is really something I should be discussing with HTC.  I told her that I bought the phone from Verizon and pay Verizon each month.  I was astonished that she would have the audacity to tell me it is not Verizon's issue.  I have also been told time and time again that this is my fault for not returning the phone in the first 14 days when I tried to do just that 6 or so times but was told it was not an issue with the phone. Finally I talked to a customer support person that told me to go into the store that I bought it from and see if they would help me since they 'control the inventory' and the phone is documented as 'Defective on Arrival'.  I walked into the store at 7:00 pm.  I was handed off to a manager at 7:20 pm and the first thing she said was that there was nothing she could do.  I told her that the phone I purchased at her store was defective and she told me that I should have returned it in the first 14 days.  I told her that I tried.  She walked off and came back 10 minutes later and told me that she was going to give me a new phone but that the issue I am having is a known issue with HTC Thunderbolts and it is likely I will have the same problem.  But, she wanted to 'make it clear' that I would not be getting a new phone if I have the same issues.  She said there would be NO 14 day return period on this new phone.  That is against the Verizon terms and conditions and I cannot believe a manager in a store can override the documentation stating that new phones have a 14 day return period.  So, if this phone is defective, I have to pay FULL PRICE of $650.00 to get a new phone or I have to accept a used phone without a refund of the difference in the cost of a new phone and a used phone even though I have never had a working new phone.  I actually recorded her telling me that on my camcorder which she was aware of when she was telling me this.  I left the store close to 8:30 pm so I was in there 1 and 1/2 hrs.  I was on the phone with customer support for an hour earlier so at this point...2 and 1/2 hours later, I left with a new phone knowing that more than likely it is defective.  So, I called customer service again.  The rep was incredibly friendly and apologized profusely that I have gotten the run around for 3 months and told me she could give me a special circumstances 'upgrade' to whatever phone I wanted.  FINALLY!  I chose the Samsung Droid Charge which is comparable to the Thunderbolt (4G, 32G hard drive, 1GHz processor and an 8 megapixel camera).  She told me that she has not heard of any issues with the Samsung Charge like she had with the Thunderbolt.  Then, after we had it all worked out, she told me that the total cost for the phone was over $300.00!  I asked why I would have to pay since we were replacing a defective phone and asked if she was going to take off what I had already paid (almost $300.00).  She said she could not do that.  She said my only option was to go back and start the process over with technical support and 'ask' them if Verizon would consider shipping me a Charge.  I said that I had been on call after call with technical support for 3 months and Verizon wouldn't even send me a new Thunderbolt and it took 3 months for them to send me a used one.  Verizon changed the terms of service we agreed to when I purchased the phone 3 months ago,  sold me a defective phone which they acknowledged is defective,  never offered to reimburse me minutes for all of the dropped calls (which is also in the terms and conditions), or given me a dime for all of the times that I have not been able to use the phone or the data but they certainly expect me to continue to pay for a service that I cannot use.  My only option is to pay for a new phone?  SHOCKING!  Of course, as EVERYONE knows, the battery is ridiculous.  Also, no more mobile HotSpot even though that is one of the ‘perks’ offered when I was being ‘sold’ this crappy phone.  Just SHOCKING! 

0 Likes
Re: EPIC FAIL is Accurate!
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
The free Hotspot was always a promotional offer and would end when Verizon choose to end it. The promotion ended on July 6, 2011. I haven't confirmed it myself since I haven't needed, but those users with the unlimited data plan can get an unlimited hotspot plan added for an extra $30 per month.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Heliosgirl
It amazes me that people defend Verizon. You must work for them and NO...no one EVER said it was a promotion!
0 Likes
B33
Legend

Ann Did you have to log into My Verizon to Read your Pm Msg. its asking me to do this Before i can read the one you sent me

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Heliosgirl wrote:
It amazes me that people defend Verizon. You must work for them and NO...no one EVER said it was a promotion!

I owned a thunderbolt, and if you ever ready the receipt it does say promotion  expires May 16, 2010 on it.  Also if you ever logged into my Verizon it did say the same thing.  There were multiple places where the information could have been found.  They have extended it twice since then before switching to the tiered plan...

It amazes me that because people read what they are supposed are considered working for Verizon.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
@Heliosgirl
No not a VZW employee. VZW did keep extending the hotspot promotion.

Original Thunderbolt press release. Read the second paragraph after additional features section
http://news.vzw.com/news/2011/03/pr2011-03-14u.html

Droid Charge press release. The hotspot promotion is mentioned under the pricing and data plan options.
http://news.vzw.com/news/2011/04/pr2011-04-20.html

The Revolution by LG press release. Read the pricing and availability section.
http://news.vzw.com/news/2011/05/pr2011-05-24e.html

@dincx110
No I just log into the community.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Well this Weired since Verizon Changed to the new Look i havent been able to read my Pm's an this should not be this way

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

yeah, it just tries to make me log in again in Chrome. I have to use IE to view pm's.  

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Pj i sent a Msg to a Moderator i hope that helped But the ones that Run Lithium or what ever its Called Needs to Fix this. Pronto.! or Please fix the Problem.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Heliosgirl wrote:

It WAS listed as a promotion. EVERY TIME you turned on the Hotspot app, there was a popup screen that stated the free hotspot was a limited time offer for certain devices. Didnt take time to read it did ya?????

0 Likes