Face to Face video chat
OKCDROID

Does ThunderBolt support Face to Face Video Chat on Qik

0 Likes
Re: Face to Face video chat
AZSALUKI
Legend

not sure about qik, but it does with skype.

0 Likes
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

I tried Qik once and it froze my T-bolt... I Quickly uninstalled it and never tried again. I just had a very successful T-bolt to Dinc video chat with Tango. Note that the Dinc had to stand in front of a mirror due to the lack of a forward camera but it worked well. 

Skype I have only tested once with a T-bolt to pc chat but for a first test it worked well. The thing I like about Tango over Skype is you have to be logged in to skype all the time for someone to just randomly video chat you and that's know to use battery. Were with Tango you don't have to logged in and when someone wants to Tango your phone rings like a call is coming in. 

For now I say try Tango

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

GreenRobot wrote:

I tried Qik once and it froze my T-bolt... I Quickly uninstalled it and never tried again. I just had a very successful T-bolt to Dinc video chat with Tango. Note that the Dinc had to stand in front of a mirror due to the lack of a forward camera but it worked well. 

Skype I have only tested once with a T-bolt to pc chat but for a first test it worked well. The thing I like about Tango over Skype is you have to be logged in to skype all the time for someone to just randomly video chat you and that's know to use battery. Were with Tango you don't have to logged in and when someone wants to Tango your phone rings like a call is coming in. 

For now I say try Tango

but if tango knows someone is calling then doesn't it have to be running as well? i haven't used tango yet so i don't know how it works....but it seems like it would have to be open/running in order to know someone was contacting you through it??? sounds cool though. however, most of the people i video call only have pc capabilities, and tango can't call from a mobile device to a pc....only mobile to mobile. i haven't tried a video call with qik, but i use it all the time to upload/stream videos to various sites and it works well. maybe there's a bug with the video call feature?

0 Likes
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

AZSALUKI wrote:

but if tango knows someone is calling then doesn't it have to be running as well? i haven't used tango yet so i don't know how it works....but it seems like it would have to be open/running in order to know someone was contacting you through it??? sounds cool though. however, most of the people i video call only have pc capabilities, and tango can't call from a mobile device to a pc....only mobile to mobile. i haven't tried a video call with qik, but i use it all the time to upload/stream videos to various sites and it works well. maybe there's a bug with the video call feature?

You are correct Tango is in rrunning acording to my running apps list and so is Skype. I think the difference is that you have to be signed into Skype for you to get a video call. As for Qik the time I experienced the freeze was when I tried to make and uplaod a video not a chat. Are you on a Thunderbolt?

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

The Tango app does not have to be running in order to receive the video call.  I just tried it after making sure that it was not listed in my running services. 

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

@greenrobot....yes...i use the thunderbolt. i'll try it again later today and see if i have any problems, but it was working fine the last time i used it.

@21stnow...excuse my ignorance, but how would tango know someone was trying to call in if it's not running? i really don't know how these types of apps work, but it just seems like it would have to be running?

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

AZSALUKI wrote:

@21stnow...excuse my ignorance, but how would tango know someone was trying to call in if it's not running? i really don't know how these types of apps work, but it just seems like it would have to be running?

Please be patient with me, as I post only as a user, and not with a deeper understanding of the technical aspects of what's going on in the background. 

With that said, I really don't know the answer to your question.  :smileysad: I guess that the many permissions that the Tango app requests (one of them being read phone state and identity) would allow the app to activate once a call was coming through its servers. 

I made sure that Tango was not in running apps on my Android phone.  I used another phone that had Tango on it to call my Nexus S.  There was a delay in the Nexus S ringing, but the call came through as a Tango call.  I had to activate the app on the calling phone, but not the phone that was called.  I hope this makes sense.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

makes sense

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

If you use System Panel Lite, it shows up as a background task but oddly enough doesn't show up in Applications under Running Services or Manage Applications.  

0 Likes