Re: Faint ringing HTC One
random64
Contributor - Level 2

Root cause investigation -- perhaps if we identify some common operating parameters among those affected then it can help VZW/HTC determine a root-cause and find a software/systems/engineering solution.

I'm really interested to get this phone, but this potential issue is freaking me out.  I'm counting 8 different individual cases so far, and the thread isn't even that old (not counting all the DNA occurrences).

To analyze the root cause from a correlation standpoint, if we: a) consider that it doesn't happen on other carriers' devices and b) identify differences between phones from various carriers then two are areas come up (perhaps more also):

1) installed carrier software

2) radio hardware/software (which could also interact with apps)

The radio access networks and freq bands are different between carriers, e.g. GSM, CDMA, UMTS, LTE, etc.

HTC's VZW radio implementation is different from Moto's, Samsung, etc. (which is why, if it's carrier radio related it's possible for HTC to have an issue when Moto and Samsung don't).

For example, it could be something like: with a weak signal strength the phone power amp has to transmit at the max level and when the phone is just sitting their it has to periodically probe the access channel (or something like that) and the high current through the switching power supply inductor is magnetically coupling to the speakers (which may have very high sensitivity for boomsound efficiency).

Can we see whether everone who suffers from this has some common operating parameters with their radio (Network) parameters?

Go to settings --> About phone --> Network and report your Signal Strength and Mobile network type.

For that matter, we should ask anyone who has the HTC One and doesn't suffer this problem, "what radio operating parameters do you have"?  Of course as demmo pointed out with the SIM card issue:  If they don't have the ringing problem then they are probably not paying attention to this thread Smiley Happy.

Can anyone think of other possible common or differentiating operating parameters to consider?

0 Likes
keithrlewis
Enthusiast - Level 2

I spent about an hour on the phone earlier today with HTC - noone is aware of the issue there and I expressed many people here complaining of the faint ringing issue.    I then called Verizon and went through their support channels only to be reconnected with HTC to go over the issue.

One thing that is very obvious here is that two HTC devices - the HTC one and the DNA are experiencing the same issue.   It would appear that this issue is related to Verizon and their version of code loaded on to the phones.  If you search the internet you only see issues on the Verizon versions of these phones.     The support person from Verizon suggested i change device to some other phone.  How does that fix an issue that seems to be pandemic on two devices.    One user above states that this could be a low signal issue,  in older phones there used to be an audible alert that you could activate to warn you when you are out of coverage or very low - both questions I posed to HTC and they expressed that there was not this feature.  Couple of things that HTC did say is to perform a factory reset on the phone and see if that fixed the issue,   having performed this on a phone i have owned for just 7 days seems to be something that should not have to be performed.

In the Verizon HTC one - on the left hand side of the phone there is a tray for the SIM card - you will see a pin hole next to it.  HTC recommended removing the SIM card and reseating.   This in itself would not in my opinion cause these random issues.   

The phone tends to do this randomly and when in good coverage area with full bars.   Having spent an hour on the phone with HTC i am concerned on two fronts: 1.  There have been no reports of this problem, 2. Verizon needs someone to recreate the issue,  express that there is infact an issue, 3.  Provide either a work around or provide a fix that will stop this problem.

0 Likes
Azz316
Enthusiast - Level 2

For what it's worth

Android Version 4.2.2

Software 1.10.605.8

Not Roaming

Signal Strength -102dBm

Mobile Net Type 1xRTT

Not a cell phone techie so not sure what else to add that is pertinent.

0 Likes
random64
Contributor - Level 2

@Azz316 thanks -- that's interesting.  For example, my HTC TB shows:

Signal Strength -88dBm (4 bars).

Mobile Net Type LTE

So, your signal strength compared to mine is 10^(-14/10) = 0.04 or 1/25.  That means your power amplifier need to transmit at 25x higher power.

Of course, your results are only one sample (I would like hear from the other 7 cases on this thread).

It also would be interesting to know if the buzzing goes away when you are in a higher signal strength location.

0 Likes
gambrej
Enthusiast - Level 3

Have had my one for about a week and it started doing it 2 days ago. I noticed it only does it if my phone is picking up a bad signal. It has done it 3 times in the past 2 days and all three times I had only 3g coverage. I also believe that the the radios in the one are bad because places that I would get great coverage with my motorola razr hd and samsung galaxy s4 I on get 3g coverage on the one. I think verizon needs to address this issue because it seems to be something on there end because none of the other carriers are having this problem. I will be going to the verizon store and getting me a new phone just to see but i doubt that will solve the problem. Also mine stops when i place a call or get 4g coverage back so that is why i think it has something to do with the coverage. Anyone else think this.

0 Likes
random64
Contributor - Level 2

@gambrej,

When it's having the ringing problem, can you temporarily put your phone in "Airplane Mode" to see if it goes away?

This is another way to see if it's related to cellular radio, and if so, possibly weak signal strength, which is correlated to high cellular power amplifier output power and, in turn, high current from the power supply, which can couple to the speaker.

0 Likes
gambrej
Enthusiast - Level 3

I will try that as soon as it does it again

0 Likes
rtpbiker

Looks like I spoke too soon about my wife's Droid DNA phone never having experienced the issue.  During this weekend, her phone has experienced the faint ringing issue twice.  I don't understand why during the previous eight months she has had the phone the issue never happened until now.  My wife and I are very unhappy about the way Verizon is handling this.

0 Likes
Azz316
Enthusiast - Level 2

Was it during a low reception time? We're

trying to narrow it down

Sent from my HTC One on the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network

0 Likes
gambrej
Enthusiast - Level 3

I changed the Sims card in mine and that seems to have done the trick for