Re: Feeling Duped and forced to pay more
JTAllen

A couple of thoughts...

First, as previously recommended but stated differently: name, date, time. Name, date, time. I never call any company's customer service or technical support number without pen and pad, or my computer on with a text editor page in front of me. I always ask the employee to repeat his/her name, which I record next to the date and time. All details of the conversation are noted. If you call back later, and the company denies the facts, go as far up the organization as you can, being exceedingly courteous with each person. Usually, you will end up with an acceptable accommodation.

Second, in many states, after going through multiple problems with a product and its replacements, you can declare the product to be a "lemon". If your adventures with the company are properly documented, and you have conducted yourself in a manner whereby the employees WANT to help you, you'll achieve a satisfactory conclusion. In the case of your adventures with the TBolt, there is ample evidence, even in Verizon's own "Community", that the phone is a "lemon" for those who have the bad phones. In a worst case scenario, you would prevail against VZW in Small Claims Court to void the contract, without penalty, and secure a full refund of the money you paid to VZW. Armed with that knowledge, you will likely be able to encourage VZW to make life easier for both parties.

If I were having your kind of problems with the TBolt, I'd be finding others in my immediate area and learning whether their experiences are the same as mine. Some people are being KILLED by their TBolts, whereas my wife and I are both using ones that were purchased in mid-April, with absolutely no problems whatsoever. Our area did not get the MR1 update, which was a death knell for many TBolts, so that certainly worked well for us. We also don't live in a 4G area, and it appears that most of the terrible TBolt experiences are in areas in or bordering 4G service areas. We waited until today to download the MR2 update and, since we had no problems before, we're seeing no real changes so far. Our TBolts continue to be the best phones we have ever owned.

0 Likes
realism51

$340 Would still be a better price than 2 years of $95 a month and a bunch of frustrations

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

ask them why you can't just pay the $50 difference between the charge and the tbolt. you cought a $250 phone already and they could replace it with a charge, which is $300. i would DEMAND that they give you a replacement droid charge for the $50 difference.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

crabbyone wrote:

I thought  all Verizon phones had a 1 year warranty. If you are having trouble with a device under warranty, you can get it exchanged. After several exchanges of the same item, ask to speak with a manager about getting a different device.  I have had to do this once and kept the receipts from the 3 faulty devices and when I went back the fourth time in less than 2 months, I asked to see the manager and explained the situation, showed the receipts and he approved my getting a different phone.

Good luck!!

This is something that Verizon does for some customers but this isn't a official policy, also this is at their discretion....  I think Verizon stop doing this because users figured that this was how Verizon was handling a  problem device and a number of user started returning devices because they seen a new device they want and figured they can get a easy upgrade.

It is situations like this that causes policies to change because it get abused.  And as for the solution they have followed with sending out replacement devices is following this same pattern, users keep calling and demanding a fix for a device when the issue isnt hardware related and cant be fixed until a update is released so to satisfy the customer they give them a replacement, you do not need to accept the device if you know its a software issue, I have declined replacements several times because I knew I would be replacing a new device for a refurbish and in most cases this wont fix anything.

Blaming the device when its been identified as a software issue wont resolve your issues...

0 Likes
crabbyone

I think if the Op has documented the number of returns and the tech's notes that it was am issue (hardware or software) it gives the OP enough to get a manager to see the problem, AND if needed, enough to give the BBB or court a thorough understanding of the problems with this particular device. What is very peculiar is the fact the OP has the same problem at almost the same location with different devices.

I have over 225 lines with Verizon and NEVER had this type of problem with any of them. We did get a few bad devices over the years, but a replacement always solved the issue.

0 Likes
DrDroidDre
Enthusiast - Level 3
I will trade you my alley and some cash for your Tb.
0 Likes
realism51

Lol, Ally must not be to great if you want to trade it for the TB. I spoke with a main man from Verizon, (thank you Budone for the contact info) I was informed that the deal offered to me was not a valid one but that what Verizon would be willing to do was to have me bring in my phone just as if it was a trade in and I would receive a $200 credit towards the purchase of a new phone and that Verizon would try to reimburse my account for the cost of the activation fee but not the early upgrade fee. And that the 2 year agreement would stand and that I would be able to purchase a new phone and start a 2 year agreement just as if I never had one. 

So it seems that Verizon is willing to return my money in a round about way minus the activation fee possibly but wont cancel the extended 2 year agreement, thus ensuring that they get a defective phone back and I am left with an already 15 month old phone that they no longer support or offer for sale, that I have to continue to use for another 2 years. Get my money back but have to pay Verizon an extra $1140 for that extra year of service that they are unwilling to cancel out on.

I will try one more time for a much more amiable resolution before resorting to the BBB.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i still don't understand why they can't replace it with a comparable device (lg or charge)???? a couple other forum members have got them to do this. they had to go through 3-5 replacement tbolts first....but eventually it became obvious to verizon that they could not get them a working unit so they let them switch out for a different model. there's got to be a manager somewhere with enough sense to just let you get a replacement charge for the $50 difference.

0 Likes
realism51

Well thats the only offer that is being given to me.  Here is the conversation that I had in the end . 

Mike, 

After consideration of the only offer you have to fix the solution that you spoke to me about I am going to to have to decline for several reasons. First of which is that it does not benefit me in the least. I turn the TB in for $200 credit and I may or may not have the early upgrade fee reimbursed, but I am still locked into the rest of the 2 year contract, which would net Verizon an extra $1140 for that extra year of service for providing me a malfunctioning phone. Out of all the phones that are offered, I am not interested in any of them as they all have they complaints for valid reasons as well as they do not fulfill the purpose that I wish to use the device for. As I stated earlier in our conversation the Droid Charge was the only other cellular phone that comes close to what I want but despite its $300 tag with 2 year agreement it falls short because of the looming complaints about its speed lapses and stalling and the positioning of the phone is awkward and human error and interference is a problem when it comes to camera operations. 

Basically what you are offering me is Verizon will return my money if I return the TB but will not undo the extra year tacked onto my contract. I could buy another phone instead of being stuck using my Incredible for 40 months which probably will not last that long, but again the problem is that there is nothing worthwhile offered by Verizon currently. To me, by not simply negating the contract and allowing me to return the phone and receive the money paid is a huge slap to the face. SInce I received the phone I have also been unable to utilize the services I am paying for as they should be, so that is nearly $190 that I have paid Verizon for sub par service. 

Ultimately if i were to take your offer I would have paid $190 for services that mostly I never had access to, the cost of activating or early upgrading, the cost of the screen protectors and case that I purchased for the TB, and the $1140 for an extra year of service. All together your offer will cost me around $1400. I do not see how this is beneficial to me in the slightest. 

I have purchased a phone that I had to complain about for replacement and/or solutions 3 times, In a number of states that qualifies under the new Lemon law for cell phones. According to the forum boards and across the reviews it seems that the TB is being considered and generally accepted as a lemon and a mistake. I was deceived when I purchased the phone, I was deceived when I was told that I would have 30 days to return from the phone, and I am not pleased with either of them. I am losing trust in a company that for 14 months I regarded as the best in not only customer service but also in customer care.

Mainly what I am looking for and asking is to return the phone for the cost of what I paid for it and for any other fees that were charged to me, and to negate the extended contract and revert back to my original which ends in April 2012. 

This is similiar to what you are offering except I am asking for the additional part of the extended 2 year contract that I was mislead into. The two months of terrible phone and data service that I have received I will overlook. 

Let me know if there is a possibility of an agreement with the above suggested solution or if I will need to escalate the claim

Thank you, 

Mike

Hi Joseph:

Sorry to hear that the offers that were given do not meet your needs.  I've thoroughly notated your account on the offer in case you change your mind.  As far as your $1140, that's for cellular service, and that's not something can be waived and is irrelevant to the smartphone you choose.  I offered you the best options that I could.

I will say that if you research "problems with (X model phone)", I'm sure you will find problems with every phone on the market.  That doesn't mean that the model itself is defective.  It simply indicates individuals having problems with their specific phones. They gathered in an online community and posted their concerns. The ThunderBolt was our flagship device.  Hundreds of thousands-millions of people have the handset.  Forums, reviews, and general discussion boards are a place to seek help with problems, software glitches, etc.  You probably won't find too many forums dedicated to "everything on my phone is fine," even though most people don't have problems with it. 

In any case, the offer on the table remains.  It's notated very thoroughly on your account.  If you change your mind, feel free to give us a call at our customer service number.  Best of luck to you, and thank you for taking the time to notify me of your decision.

Best Regards,

0 Likes
realism51

Basically Verizon is unwilling to admit that there is an issue with the phone and all offers from before have been lies. Problems with a phone that I was told was fine and three hand sets later they will refund me the money I paid for the phone minus the early upgrade fee but wont let me revert back to my original contract. This is a dirty practice and Verizon has lied to me multiple times and are unwilling to fix the issue. The only recourse that I now have is a dispute with the BBB and I will be getting in touch with my legal advisor for arbitration if neccessary. 

0 Likes