GB Update
davidw510

My TB was updated on October 28th.  I've noticed a few minor issues.

My Email app no longer syncs correctly.  I use a free Email client from the Android Market.  It is called "Mail" (see next issue for more) and I only synch one email address (comcast.net account) to it.

Since the update It no longer syncs every 15 minutes per the schedule when on wifi.  This is fairly consistent but not 100%.  It does periodically, about once a day, synch when on Wifi.  when I'm not on wifi it synch fairly consistently, but also not 100%.  When not on wifi sometimes I realize it hasn't synced when I open the Mail app (and it synchs).

The Android Market keeps telling me I have 3 or 4 apps that need to be updated.  When I open the market and check MyApps it does not tell me any apps need to be updated.  When I do see an app in the list that shows as needing to be updated I update them, but I continue to be notified of 3 or 4 apps that need to be updated that don't show up on the list.

I also have apps loaded that I do not see in the MyApps list, like my email client.  I've searched the Android Market to see if I could remember the Email app I installed but can't find it there either.  I believe there are other apps I have loaded but are not showing up in MyApps list, I just haven't take the time to find each one.

My custom ringtones are also flaky.  One I have assigned to my wife will occasionally be used for any incoming call and occasionally when my wife calls the ringtone will be the default one I have setup.  I read another poster with this issue as well but I haven't done anything to try and resolve it (my phone doesn't ring that much anyway..).

To me, these are minor issues and are not causing any problems, just quirky behavior.  is anyone else seeing these same things?

0 Likes
Re: GB Update
gratfuldead69

I have had a couple of the same issues as you. I was getting the app update issue as well when I first installed the update. It kept telling me I had 5 updates but maybe there was only one. That seemed to have resolved itself as of late. The one I continue to have is the ringtones. Sometimes specific peoples tones are correct, sometimes not. No rhyme or reason. Very irritating though. If you found any fixes, please respond.

Thanks

0 Likes
Frudaddy

My phone rings with the tone that is set for the previous caller.  Which is very problematic, as I use tones to screen calls, especially if I am not right next to the phone, or busy and don't want to grab the phone for just anybody.

I am also growing tired of getting email notifications in the middle of the night (off-peak set to manual), so much so that I have turned off email notification sounds altogether.

Then there is my irritation about the Verizon standard numbers, which I have renamed to suit my filing schema.  These are now embedded onto my sim card with no option to rename or delete.  The only way to remove them from my people list is to hide all sim contacts, which also hides any person that I might have chosen to save there.  I have only used one of these numbers one time in what is probably ten years as a Verizon customer, and I know that I will never use most of them.  I also have a SMART phone, with the ability to access the Verizon website should I need to look up any of these, so I cannot fathom a reason to force this minor yet annoying detail.

I denied the previous upgrade (sometimes twice daily for about a month) until it was finally forced on the the day before I was forced to accept the GB update as well.

I love MY phone, but I am quickly becoming annoyed with the way Verizon chooses to control it but forcing me to install and maintain software that I do not want.  MIght be time to void a warranty so I can take control of MY phone.

0 Likes
davidw510

Update to my first post...

When I received the update I had my Trident Electra Series case with the HTC extended battery installed.  The Electra series case removes the back cover and becomes the back cover.  it includes the antena contacts in the case.

I was upgraded to GB on October 28th and had done a couple reboots but never a shut down, remove the battery reboot.

I decided to try my stock battery in my phone 2 days ago to see if GB was any nicer on my battery.  In doing so I took the phone out of the Electra case (since it is made for an extended battery only) and put my phone into my Trident Kraken case (with the stock battery and battery cover).

Since I did this I've been on 1x.  I've seen 4g and 3g once, right after I made the change but they only lasted for a few minutes before dropping back to 1x on my phone.

I'm not sure if this has been caused by the cover antena or by the reboot with pulling the battery.

I've had none of the issues others have had with my phone since I got it in March (or was it may).  My phone has worked great since I got it other than some spotty 4G coverage/connections but those are due to the Verizon 4G network.

Is anyone else having the same issue of thier phone stuck on 1x since updating to GB?

I've had my BT and Wifi turned off for 3 days as well (see my first post).  I will try switching back to my Electra case and extended battery tonight and see if I get any 4G connections again.

Since my first post I have not had the email notification issue or the ringtone issue either.  I turned off BT and Wifi about the same time I made the first post.  The ringtone might just be due to the fact I have only hade 3 calls in the last 3 or 4 days anyway...

0 Likes
davidw510

I may have discovered the cause of the lack of 4G connections over the recent few days and why I was stuck on 1x.

See my other post at: http://community.vzw.com/t5/ThunderBolt-by-HTC/weak-3G-4G-theory/td-p/722515 

0 Likes
Not applicable

Hello everyone, thanks for sharing your concerns about your device after receiving the update. There were quite a few issues mentioned, so I will address a few of them. 

First, Davidw510, for the email issue, you stated you were using an application called Mail. The default mail application is also called Mail. Are you sure you're using a third party app and not the stock mail application? Are messages still delayed in the default application? 

Also, for the Market issue, try clearing cache/data from the Market by going to Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>All>Market>Clear data/cache. 

Lastly, for the custom ringtones playing the wrong ringtones, we have seen this reported by other users. We have escalated this issue to HTC and our product team and they have been able to duplicate the issue. A fix is expected in the next maintenance release. We do not have a date for the software release at this time. 

0 Likes
drecien
The apps you are getting notifications for are the Verizon bloatware apps...just move along...nothing to see there...
0 Likes