Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GPS Signal locks then drops, locks then drops
benda18

Ever since the 2.2 OTA Upgrade my GPS hasn't been working right and I believe I narrowed the problem down to the following:  If using an App like GPS Status to view satellite locks prior to the last OTA the phone would grab 8+/- satellites and hold those connections indefinitely.  Now what's happeninng is the phone will seach and lock onto 6-8 hold the signal for a few seconds, then drop all satellite connections.  Then a few seconds later it will pick up 6-8, the drop them again.  This goes on constantly.  

I created a chart showing what's happening using an app called Torque.  Image can be seen in the link below: 

Click for image

Because I never have a constant connection it means problems for GPS accuracy across all apps I use - Maps/Navigation, imapmyride, mytracks, GPS status, etc.  

I've searched all around the web and haven't found much information or even any indications that anyone else has had this problem.  Look familiar to anyone? 

TBolt

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: GPS Signal locks then drops, locks then drops
Wildman
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

Try clearing data at Settings / Applications / Running Services / Storage Use / Maps / Clear Data

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Wildman
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

Try clearing data at Settings / Applications / Running Services / Storage Use / Maps / Clear Data

0 Likes
benda18

That worked great, thanks so much.  I've been trying to figure this out for like a month. 

0 Likes
Wildman
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

Glad to hear it got you going...

0 Likes
MyLifeIsAnRPG

I am having a similar problem actually. I couldn't follow your directions though. I went to running services and I couldn't find "storage use" so instead I went to manage applications, running applications, and then went to the storage area and cleared data from there after force stopping. Unfortunately, when I went back to GPS status, it would still do the same thing. It would pick up 7-9 satelites and then drop and then pick them up again.

Ive tried using GPS status and GPS Fix but neither solves the problem. It really makes my navigation innaccurate. Can you help?

0 Likes
Wildman
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

MyLifeIsAnRPG wrote:

I am having a similar problem actually. I couldn't follow your directions though. I went to running services and I couldn't find "storage use" so instead I went to manage applications, running applications, and then went to the storage area and cleared data from there after force stopping. Unfortunately, when I went back to GPS status, it would still do the same thing. It would pick up 7-9 satelites and then drop and then pick them up again.

Ive tried using GPS status and GPS Fix but neither solves the problem. It really makes my navigation innaccurate. Can you help?

0 Likes
MyLifeIsAnRPG

OK, so I follow those instructions until I click on Applications.

The only options under that menu are

Unknown Sources

Allow installation of non-market applications

Manage applications

Manage and remove installed applications

Running services

View and control currently running services

Development

Set options for application development

There is no Storage Use, Start Automatically, or Notifications

0 Likes
Wildman
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

Are you running the latest update, it should be there but you xan also access it with Settings / Applications / Manage Applications / All Tab / Maps / Clear Data...

0 Likes
MyLifeIsAnRPG

Did that... unfortunatley still getting the problem, booted up GPS status shortly thereafter and i kept getting GPS pickups and drops.

0 Likes
MyLifeIsAnRPG

and im running android 2.2.1

I checked under software update and it says I am up to date

0 Likes