GPS issues
philhyde
Enthusiast - Level 2

Anyone having GPS issues?  My phone seems to get a 'weak' GPS signal and cannot get a full lock.  In Google Maps my arrow has a blue circle around it.

A friend of mine with the same phone is not having these issues.

thanks,

Phil

0 Likes
Re: GPS issues
RobB772
Contributor - Level 3

Phil I got this from HTC tech service:

(caveat. it worked for a while then started locating me >3miles away again after a reboot of the phone)

From the Home screen, press Menu and tap Settings.
Tap Location
Turn off Mobile Location Services
Turn on GPS
Check Google Maps to see if the location is correct.

If this does not work, navigate to the Market and download GPS Test by Chartcross Limited.
Use this application to find your GPS location.
Google Maps should now display the correct location.
Refresh the weather manually -- the correct location should now display.

0 Likes
RobB772
Contributor - Level 3

It also corrected my current location in Weather sense for that same period.

0 Likes
philhyde
Enthusiast - Level 2

"Turn off Mobile Location Services"

I don't have that option under Location.  I have:

VZW Location Services

Standalone GPS Services

Google Location Services

0 Likes
RobB772
Contributor - Level 3

I turned off both Verizon(VZW) and Google "Location" services

0 Likes
RobB772
Contributor - Level 3

I believe VZW location uses cell towers to triangulate your location. GPS uses however many satellites it can lock onto (the more the better) and I'm not sure what Google uses as it locator. Leaving any or all on isn't suppose to effect battery usage as it only uses the service when a running app requests (so if you're using navigation or updating the weather app constantly then the location services would be on more. Most accurate would be the GPS if you can lock in to a number of satellites.

0 Likes
philhyde
Enthusiast - Level 2

I downloaded the GPS Test app.  It was able to lock onto about 4-5 satellites, but the SNR is in the YELLOW range.

0 Likes
jgorton123

i'm having issues as well.  my location on google maps isn't close.  google navigation is spotty at best.

0 Likes
philhyde
Enthusiast - Level 2

Took my phone into the store today.   As it happened, the store manager helped me out.  Told him about my GPS issues (funny coincidence that GPS started working on my way to the store).  He suggested that we do a hard reset and then talk about a replacement if that didn't fix it.  Fair enough.  Of course it's been working fine since the reset.  Will give it a couple of days and see.

0 Likes
behrooz1

I'm also haven the same issue, I've had to reset my phone 2X's but the GPS is still not locking on.

0 Likes