Gingerbread 2.11.605.0
Lt-Belspur
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello All,

Got the gingerbread fever and I updated my Thunderbolt last night. So far so good. Still have some testing to do. Yes it does wipe the phone but not the SD Card.

It was easy to install. Just run the exe file from the computer, set to use disk drive, follow instructions and go.

All firmware should be like this. No waiting a month for the over the air updates.

A couple of  question though.

1. What is good app backup program. I thought my Verizon Backup would have done this. (Wrong had to reinstall 86 apps).   Contacts were restored without issue.

2. What is the quickest way to erase attachments downloaded from your E-Mail? In 3 months I had 1.2 Gig of data. I just deleted from my computer. Does not seem to be a way from the phone.

3. Live wallpaper does hot hold after a restart. Its shows under Personalize\Wallpaper the correct one, but it defaults to default wallpaper on the screen.

I understand this is beta and not the final release.

It has some nice new features though.

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Gingerbread 2.11.605.0
Wildman
Legend

The only point I was making was that this isnt a Beta release it is a Leak build which mean that its not supported or encouraged by Verizon or HTC and it just isnt wise to start a thread on software that you are not suppose to even have... 

I dont discourage using software updates like this but I just think its not wise to report to Verizon that users are installing this but on the same note I try not to encourage users that are unsure of what they are doing..  

If you post it here users think its official and installs it and take a chance of damaging device that Verizon wont cover under warranty under this situation.

The developer notes that they are not responsible for any damage to device for a reason.....  This is my opinion.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

Lt-Belspur wrote:

Hello All,

Got the gingerbread fever and I updated my Thunderbolt last night. So far so good. Still have some testing to do. Yes it does wipe the phone but not the SD Card.

It was easy to install. Just run the exe file from the computer, set to use disk drive, follow instructions and go.

All firmware should be like this. No waiting a month for the over the air updates.

A couple of  question though.

1. What is good app backup program. I thought my Verizon Backup would have done this. (Wrong had to reinstall 86 apps).   Contacts were restored without issue.  My Backup Pro...worth the $4-5

2. What is the quickest way to erase attachments downloaded from your E-Mail? In 3 months I had 1.2 Gig of data. I just deleted from my computer. Does not seem to be a way from the phone. Get a file explorer like astro or estrongs and find out where the attachments are stored. preiodically delete the files in that folder.

3. Live wallpaper does hot hold after a restart. Its shows under Personalize\Wallpaper the correct one, but it defaults to default wallpaper on the screen. Not sure? i hate live wallpapers. they KILL your battery.

I understand this is beta and not the final release.

It has some nice new features though.

Thanks

enjoy gingerbread. i love it!

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Hope you realized that the installation you done isnt official and it may cause issues for you recieving the official installation and also Verizon wont support or service your device with the OS installed..

0 Likes
CJREYES666
Contributor - Level 1
Chill wildman he can always flash a froyo ruu and accept the official gb update and as well file warranty claims done it before with other phones
0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

You wont if you keep announcing you do this on the carriers forum.... There's one thing to use the software but announcing it on the Service Perviders site is not wise no matter how you look at it...

No disrespect but going back is not always as easy when the user just learned how to install update from a RUU... Seen this go wrong a lot.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

+ 1

0 Likes
Elitist_Jerk
Contributor - Level 2

The best part of GB is all the cool features it adds to the phone..

oh wait, my bad.

0 Likes
Lt-Belspur
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok Guys,

This was just an information post.

I am well aware this is a beta release. But it is an official Verizon pre release.  I could have waited but I didn't this time. It took a month just to get the MR2 update on my 3 phones.

I can easily root to any other mod at any time if I so choose, but I haven't.

My point was how easy it was to upgrade. Download file and run from your computer. Took 10 minutes.

If and when the official release becomes available it should be no problem to do an over the air update. This is what is in the field being tested on phones now according to a little birdy who I know at Verizon.

So far its working great. I do like some of the new features.

I would like to see updates be available by computer or over the air. I prefer the computer file do to the size and you wont have to wait a month for an over the air update.

Just my 2 cents.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

The only point I was making was that this isnt a Beta release it is a Leak build which mean that its not supported or encouraged by Verizon or HTC and it just isnt wise to start a thread on software that you are not suppose to even have... 

I dont discourage using software updates like this but I just think its not wise to report to Verizon that users are installing this but on the same note I try not to encourage users that are unsure of what they are doing..  

If you post it here users think its official and installs it and take a chance of damaging device that Verizon wont cover under warranty under this situation.

The developer notes that they are not responsible for any damage to device for a reason.....  This is my opinion.

0 Likes
Lt-Belspur
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello Widman,

I agree with you 100%. However we are all adults and have the right to do  what ever we want with our phones whether is voids the warranty or not.

I do not endorse installing this update. It's your choice. I am just providing information.

I had no choice to get the Thunderbolts and I own 3 of them before Verizon changed there data plan.

After waiting for 3 months to get the MR2 update. I wanted to try the leak or beta.

Regardless were this is posted is irrelevant. There are plenty of forums around.

I am afraid the Thunderbolt will be discontinued soon and replaced with another phone. And were all stuck with it till our contract expires.

:smileywink:

0 Likes