Gingerbread leak 2.11.605
kzerefos
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just figured I'd provide a little simple feedback since I've tried this leak.  Data connections have been very stable with minimal data drops and I have definitely notice an improvement in battery life.  I still have the voicemail notification bug since it's a leak, and the force closing camera which I workaround by doing the date change method.  I believe from what I read that the force close on the camera was a built in time bomb since it was a software leak for developers.  No real complaints other than force close on gtalk which I believe was also a self destruct  built into the leaked software as it only started doing that recently.  So, I do feel a bit more reassured that the final build should be smooth (fingers crossed that a Sense update is included).

0 Likes
Re: Gingerbread leak 2.11.605
Wildman
Legend

Please tell me you did not just post about unarthorized software again on service perviders forum? :smileysurprised:  You do realize just using the software could void your warrenty and I just dont get why you would announce this...

0 Likes
kzerefos
Enthusiast - Level 3

Wildman, although your point is a valid one, I was backed into a corner because of the issues I was having with my phone.  The warranty isn't my concern.  I am simply providing feedback to the many thunderbolt owners who are experiencing issues with their phones.  This was posted to reassure some of the frustrated owners that we are very close to resolution in several areas.  If my post helps others and voids my warranty, then so be it, it is a chance I am willing to take.  Not to mention that my phone is not rooted, I am simply running a leaked build.  Either way, I will choose to provide peace of mind to the masses over my warranty if that's the position I have to be put in by VZW. 

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Wildman wrote:

You do realize just using the software could void your warrenty and I just dont get why you would announce this...

Just using it does NOT void your warranty regardless of what some like to think.  There's no red flag that pops up in Verizon's system once you install a non-"official" rom.  That said, whether it's informative or not, this probably isn't the best place to discuss it.  It'd be nice if Verizon embraced the development community but that's wishful thinking.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

I understand your point but I am starting to get concerned on the number of users posting about using unauthorized software and giving other users the impression that installing this is normal and acceptable practice.. I also understand you do not have to be rooted but still if you experiance issues with device you can not return the device to verizon for service with this software installed.

I am just trying to clarify the risk that goes with using this software and the ideal of posting on the service perviders site is kind of like robbing a bank and getting away and then go to a police station lobby and tell the police that you did this..

Dont get me wrong I love the developing community but you are not the only one at risk sometimes, this is what gets a number of  developers the SAD (Cease and desist) letters...

This is just information to consider...

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

Wildman wrote:

Please tell me you did not just post about unarthorized software again on service perviders forum? :smileysurprised:  You do realize just using the software could void your warrenty and I just dont get why you would announce this...

admitedly, i don't pay that much attention to my contract and the fine print, but how is an unofficial rom any different than a third party app (particularly ones like swype, that aren't even available in the market)? again, i'm no expert, but does installing swype void the warranty? if not, why not and why would an unofficial rom? technically, can't nearly ANYTHING you load void the warranty?

0 Likes
Lt-Belspur
Enthusiast - Level 3

HTC Sense is on 2.1 on the 2.11.605.0.

With Ice Cream Sandwich just around the corner, how long is that going to take to get a official Verizon version.

0 Likes
Morkai
Enthusiast - Level 3

Wildman wrote:

"normal and acceptable practice"

I am just trying to clarify the risk that goes with using this software and the ideal of posting on the service providers site is kind of like robbing a bank and getting away and then go to a police station lobby and tell the police that you did this..

No, you will not tell me and I hope anyone else what "acceptable use" of MY device is. Considering that new HTC devices will be coming with unlocked bootloaders, Verizon better get used to this fast.

If I am not mistaken provisions for warranty issues were already covered for this as well; I believe the warranty considerations for an unlocked bootloader specifically mention that if the phone was returned in stock operating condition custom roms etc would not void the warranty. There is more to this I believe, but I am not going to take 30 minutes to research it for this post.

As for your other remark, this is NOTHING like robbing a bank or committing ANY other crime, it is completely legal for me to reprogram my phone any way I wish (cloaning the ESN aside). Please do not associate us with criminals again.

0 Likes
kzerefos
Enthusiast - Level 3
This post was meant to help reassure tbolt owners that relief from quite a bit of their frustration is around the corner in the form of the GB update. I know a lot of people have had issues so I felt providing personal feedback would be helpful. Nowhere in my post did I suggest anyone download anything. I even pointed out the bugs in the leak. Again, if I am forced to sacrifice my warranty, SO BE IT. If anyone has better peace of mind knowing that GB does, in fact, make a difference in battery life and data connectivity then great. To compare me to a criminal is just absurd. I ran the GB leak on MY thunderbolt because I could not tolerate it anymore. I was trying to help and rekindle some of the excitement we had to be thunderbolt owners.
0 Likes
DroidM
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not trying to add to the argument or anything but on these fourms we have seen countless stories of people strugling with there phones. Data drops. Text meseging bugs, constant reboots, and other problems that would lead one to belev that ther are a few Tbolts out ther that are defective in one way or another. With this said if you drop the phone and it breaks the warenty dose not cover you, if it gets wet and stops working the warenty dose nto cover this. The above mentioned problems are not covered under the warenty as well. Ive been wondering this for a bit now WHAT DOSE the Warenty cover?? Best I can tell its nearly imposable to make a clame on the warenty for this or any phone out there. Im persoanly not a fan of rooting only because if soemthing dose go wrong Im with out a phone untll I can work around fixing it. If I had a secondary phone to fidel with then Id probaly be more open to it. When it comes to the warenty thou I think many people are not all that concerned, because what exactly is it protecting us from??

0 Likes