HTC Rep: Thunderbolt Android 2.3 Update Pulled Back, No Estimated Time Frame for Relaunch
ghamden

HTC Rep:  Thunderbolt Android 2.3 Update Pulled Back, No Estimated Time Frame for Relaunch

Sounds like a another load of **bleep**

Devs have working versions of GB with sense 3.0 and sense 2.1 or a hybrid of both working flawlessly

with sudden price drops as low as 50.00 for new customers i think we may be seeing an early death of TB and TB 2 no to far off

From what i have read the reboot issue is pretty much a dead issue since mr2 now that a possible mr3 radio leak is out and also an mr3 gb leak both of which work great onl known issue no voice mail notification.

I see alot of POed TB owners nor getting what was advertised a fully functionig TB with video conferencing capabilites-- what the heck is the front facing camera for with no avaiable software to make it usefull.

this is wht happens when companies become arrogant and think they can do wat ever thay want and do this becuase they are never really called on it i sayb now is the time to calling VZ and VZ corperate lets welcomethe New CEO with our displeasure of the TB almost 4 months after relaese still not what was advertised....

0 Likes
Re: HTC Rep: Thunderbolt Android 2.3 Update Pulled Back, No Estimated Time Frame for Relaunch
B33
Legend

This is what happens when a company rejects the Os an sends it back for retesting an time is not of the essence an it was done wonce before with gingerbread an Motorola on the Droid X

0 Likes
Re: HTC Rep: Thunderbolt Android 2.3 Update Pulled Back, No Estimated Time Frame for Relaunch
Ambushbug

I've tried all of the major GB ROMS out there, and while there are several that are excellent, there isn't a single one out there that works flawlessly. Can you imagine the uproar if HTC/Verizon released an update where some of the notifications didn't work? Or the camera didn't work? Sure, to those that root there phones these things are usually acceptable, a small price to pay. The vast majority of people though don't root their phones and would  be outraged with an update with issues like that. The point being HTC/Verizon have to have it as close to perfect as they think they can when they release it, they don't have the option of releasing a new build every week or two until they get it right.

I'm just curious about your rage over the delay of Gingerbread, what does it have that you want so bad? I mean is some phones it has produced better battery life and performance, but in others it has decreased battery life and been buggy as can be. It's been stated several times that the T-Bolt isn't going to get Sense 3.0, actually they said no single core phone would get Sense 3.0 but who knows. We aren't even sure what the official version of Sense 2.1 will bring to the table. I hope Gingerbread brings the under the hood improvements we are all hoping for, but personally I would much rather wait on a working version than the bug filled version going out to most devices.

As far as no available software to utilize the front facing camera, I'm with you on that but you can't blame HTC/Verizon for that. They can't make developers such as Skype, or others, make a working app for it.

0 Likes
ghamden

you may want to look at gingeriti 3d v5 beta  no issues except no voice mail notification.

0 Likes
wayne8821212
Enthusiast - Level 3

ghamden wrote:

you may want to look at gingeriti 3d v5 beta  no issues except no voice mail notification.

Or Das Bamf  with Sense 3.0 and Gingerbread 2.3.4! It has voicemail notification but icon stays on after you have listened to the voicemail.

If Verizon was so concerned with getting it right the first time, would we have even seen the Stock Thunderbolt even by August 2011 (much less on March 17th 2011 LOL!)? There are so many custom Roms that beat Verizon's stock Tbolt in terms of speed, battery life, and lack of  reboots, having Gingerbread (or superior flavors of Froyo), Skype Video, Netflix months in advance of "Big Red".  Early adopters (buying the Tbolt before it is ready to perform, despite being released) are like involuntary guinea pigs for the company while those of us who

{edit for TOS violation}

are at least going into it with our eyes open and can only blame ourselves if something goes wrong.

I would not be enraged at Verizon for their new-found caution, but more so due to their touting and exaggerating the capabilities of a device that was not ready for prime-time neither on release date nor even today.

{edit for TOS violation}

I love my Tbolt now!  Thank you to the developers of the 20-30 or so gingerbread (both sense and de-sensed) and easily as many froyo  roms for the Tbolt!

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Got bored and installed Gingeritis 3D thursday which is based on the new GB leak and the leaked radio but have had about 6 random reboots since then.  Probably explains why we likely won't see that version.  Switched back to the official MR2 radio and still got reboots so looks like it's back to BAMF RC4.9 which has been pretty much bullet proof for me.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

:smileysurprised: Pj may i ask what is BAMF RC4. 9 little coonfused on that one or nor have i heard of it.:smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

oh sorry, lol. It's a custom rom based on the original GB leak from a while back with Sense 3.0 pulled from the Evo 3D.  Should've known better to switch but I get itchy if I go more than a couple days without flashing. :smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i went with bamf rc4 and the voicemail issue is hit and miss. other than that though, it has been nearly flawless. it does get buggy with certain apps and some apps force close from time to time (mostly games), but i assume it's because they haven't been updated to run well with GB. i'm THRILLED with it, but i definitely agree with the post above. if they pushed any of these versions as they are now, it would be MORE complaining (ie: "i just lost the best job of my life because my phone didn't tell me i had a voicemail!!"....or "i paid $250 for a phone that can't get rid of the VM notification icon!!!"). 

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Google Voice is another option.  Just set you phone to forward non answered calls to Google Voice and GV will email you a text transcription of the call.  Doesn't always transcribe perfectly but I use the email as a notification so I don't have to have the app running in the background.

0 Likes