HTC Rezound update has shortened battery life and causing device to run hot anyone having issues?
tloyd
Enthusiast - Level 2

I removed all apps, turned off 4G services, wireless, bluetooth, and updates. Phone had a full charge but ran hot from 5:45am to 9:00am-ish 27JAN12 before powering off. Several times i used task manager to kill Blockbuster, Verizon services, and any additional app that I have to keep but still coming back to life. What did this update do to my phone? Without performing a factory reset what should I try? Verizon forums lead to no other issues. So looking for support or info for this device since I thought this was a carrier update not an HTC update.

0 Likes
Re: HTC Rezound update has shortened battery life and causing device to run hot anyone having issues?
budone
Legend

I would look and see what the uptime and active time are under the Battery option under Main, Settings

Also see WHAT is using the battery the most

0 Likes
Re: HTC Rezound update has shortened battery life and causing device to run hot anyone having issues?
Tidbits
Legend

It's your task killing.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

If you have your task killer on auto and when the screen is off then your phone will never go idle. If the apps are always going to load it means your task killer is shutting down the apps incorrectly or they are cached processes(not actually running).

0 Likes
tloyd
Enthusiast - Level 2

Up time: 4:45

Awake time: 2:47

All Apps from ES Task Manager

Apps

Facebook

Google Search

Home Personalize

HTC Report Agent

HTCDm

Mobile IM

My Verizon Mobile

Open Sense Plugin Manager

Package Access Helper

Package Installer

Settings

Slacker

Sound Set

Tasks

Updater   

Verizon SSO

Voice Search

Wallpaper

I kill all tasks but Verizon and HTC REQUIRED Apps every 15 minutes. Tidbits is assuming since I have 13 years of OS experience on almost every version of OS and IOS. I unloaded a lot of apps that couldn't help me. This phone was running fine until 3:30pm CST when I recieved a push for the update. I went running using Endmondo and it died. I charged it cleaned apps and turned it on. 3 hours later I'm down to 9% and never used it. GPS and Blue tooth off. Wireless on at home. Only have to charge once a day before this unless conditioning. It could have been a tower issue but happen when I was at the Airport with full signal today.

0 Likes
tloyd
Enthusiast - Level 2

Battery is at 41% stopped charging at 3:30 when I arrived home.

0 Likes
tloyd
Enthusiast - Level 2

I realize that but EZ Task Manager isn't running constantly and issue came about after update. Phone has not had any additional software installed and I removed most apps. The phone has been used the same way for the previous 6 weeks with no issue. Until an update the previous day, won't hold a charge and runs a little warmer than before

0 Likes
budone
Legend

I have to agree with Tidbits, having the task manager kill apps that will then reopen, only to have the task killer shut them down, only to open will eat a battery quicker than anything.

What does the graph show under MENU>SETTINGS> ABOUT PHONE> BATTERY>BATTERY USE

Also download Battery Monitor Widget. let it run for 3 or 4 days and then in the program click on ESTIMATES>STATISTICS and see what is using the battery based on that program

Message was edited by: budone

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

2/3 of those apps are NOT running they are cached processes. You are forcing more work out of your phone by using a task killer. A lot of the ones you are closing are tied to specific services that you don't see and that service will reopen them.

0 Likes
tloyd
Enthusiast - Level 2

Awesome, Exactly the data I've been looking for!

Display 54%

Voice Calls 24%

Wi-Fi 5%

Cell Standby 4%

Phone Idle 3%

ES Task Manager 2%    

Android OS 2%

Android System 2%

which is 96% over 5h 15m

Found settings that sleep mode was set to never. This was definitely not a change I made. Restored back to Automatic.

This is my first Smartphone since I work IT all day hated the idea of having to lug around another tool of the trade.

The troubleshooting is helping to identify the culprit though. Looks like display has been a big battery drainer and the sleep mode maybe an issue.

Killing may have enhanced the issue but did not cause it. I used it as troubleshooting to identify apps that were restarting and/or hanging. The battery stats REALLY a big help. I will install Battery monitor widget for data collection but have read that this can cause issues too.

Battery 21% , so it's not draining as fast but still not living up to standby time and the traditional one charge a day.

Definitely hasty with tidbits. Long day and frustrated with a device I previously enjoyed. I just wish Verizon would give us more control over a device I purchased and services I continue to pay for especially since I'm used to Admin privileges.

0 Likes