HTC Thunderbolt OTA - Signal Issues -
xGrantedx

I just recently joined Verizon from T-Mobile and I am happy I did the service is fantastic.

Well until I started having issues after an OTA update that was stated to fix the reboot issues and the 1+ text messaging issue.

If you are unfamiliar with either of these you've been a lucky Thunderbolt user!

With that being said I've been doing some testing with my device since I did not get a call back or follow up from Level 2 support on my account with Verizon (Not Surpised to be honest)... 

So I am running 2.2.1 prior to the 73Mb OTA update that was suppose to fix the random reboots and text messaging issues.  The text messaging issue is actually an issue with how the phone recognizes phone numbers with 1 infront of the number...  if you are local and you remove the 1 from the number the text message goes through just fine (work around ofcourse).

So I installed the 76Mb OTA update 1.70.605.0on my phone and low and behold signal went from 3bars 4G LTE to no signal or a very weak signal ranging from 1X to 4G LTE.

I've done and tested this twice on my phone and confirmed the same thing results both times.

I really don't feel like going through this process again as it seems to be pretty straight forward - Installed update signal drops.

So you fixed the rebooting but now it messes up the signal - I also verified my buddy at work has the same phone hasn't updated his OTA because of responses and forums discussing this issue.

If any one has any questions please let me know or if they need help with this issue I can assist - Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: HTC Thunderbolt OTA - Signal Issues -
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
The signal bars on the Tbolt only represent the voice (CDMA) strength. It has nothing to do with the strength of the 3G or 4G LTE signal. There are applications in the Android Market that can give you the 3G EDVO signal strength. As far as I am aware of, no one has been able to measure the 4G LTE signal strength yet.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
RobB772
Contributor - Level 3
Ann, xGrantedx may be viewing the icon wrong but he does state it goes between 1X &4G so he is experiencing the same issue as I am . Since the mr2 update my Tbolt has been dropping 4G connection sometimes going to 3G, sometimes 1X, sometimes no data. Very frustrating! Especially since my wife's 3G iPhone4 is getting data faster than my 4G Tbolt sitting literally inches from each other. That's how I'm alerted that my Tbolts data connection is gone or seriously degraded. Done restarts,factory resets(2), battery & sim pulls, airplane mode toggles and have had no permanent resolution. Hope the next update fixes what (for me) Mr2 introduced!
0 Likes
xGrantedx
Ann154 the signal I am stating is the same issue rob is having. Ever since I updated to the new OTA update its fried my signal both voice and data suffer underneath this update. In regards to the signal bar it does impact data as I have tested it with Ookla internet speed test software in all conditions. I work in IT and the signal strength of the phone impacts the connection speed of the device. All 4G is, is 4th generation mobile data voice communications nothing more. Not sure where you got your facts but I would argue that signal has everything to do with how well the device responds on the network both voice and data.
0 Likes
JoeL_VZW
Verizon Employee

Thank you to the community for your replies.

Having signal issues is very irritating. I also have noticed this on my Thunderbolt as well. We have brought this to our Product Investigative Team and HTC and they are investigating. We appreciate your patience. As soon as we have a resolution we will post it immediately.

Thank you

0 Likes
daricec

Since last night I cant' get data or Internet unless I'm on 4G. Anyone else having the same issue?

When I restart the phone, all is well for about 30 minutes and then I lose my 4G. My wireless settings show that the Mobile Network failed.

0 Likes
kzerefos
Enthusiast - Level 3

From what I've seen and researched, the problem lies in software/radio compatibility.  The Gingerbread update, if packaged as a whole, addresses these issues with new radios, both CDMA and LTE.  So, even though this very phrase makes me want to curb stomp a thunderbolt lol, try to be patient.  I believe (holding on to my last thread of hope here) that the official update, once released will solve a lot of problems for many users.  I do feel for you as I've been through many issues myself. 

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

kzerefos wrote:

From what I've seen and researched, the problem lies in software/radio compatibility.  The Gingerbread update, if packaged as a whole, addresses these issues with new radios, both CDMA and LTE.  So, even though this very phrase makes me want to curb stomp a thunderbolt lol, try to be patient.  I believe (holding on to my last thread of hope here) that the official update, once released will solve a lot of problems for many users.  I do feel for you as I've been through many issues myself. 

You are correct, this issue seems to be radio related, the users that has been using the leaked builds have reported good news on the reception quality after recieving the newer radios....   Hopefully the update is right around the corner..

0 Likes
JohnB_VZW
Verizon Employee

daricec, I definitely feel your pain and hate when this happens. Here are a few things you can do to troubleshoot the phone.

1. Perform a soft reset by removing the battery for a few seconds.

2. Turn the data connection off for a few seconds and then turn it back on. 

Please let us know if you continue to experience this issue after the step above. I'll be more then happy to assist you in getting this resolved. 

We appreciate your patience.

0 Likes
daricec

Hi John -

Thanks for your response. Since my post, my phone seemed to behave, although the same issue briefly popped up over the weekend. When it happens again, I'll try your suggestion & keep you posted.

Thank you!

0 Likes