HTC Thunderbolt power issue after using car charger
AVBuff

My son and I both have the HTC Thunderbolt, and have both experienced the same issue with the battery drain after using the Verizon car charger.  Each and every time after the phones have been plugged into the car charger, the phones well get about 2 – 4 hours of stand by life MAX.  Both phones get very hot and the battery is almost to hot to touch.  This happens every time we use the car charger.  If after using a car charger you remove the battery and reinstall the battery the phones will now get at least 8 hours or better of standby life.  I repeat this happens to both phones EVERY time we use the car charger. 

Almost forgot to mention that I used two different car chargers as well.

I have to believe this is a safety issue and that Verizon needs to look into this issue ASAP.

0 Likes
Re: HTC Thunderbolt power issue after using car charger
Digitos
Enthusiast - Level 3
Are the two car chargers specifically made for the Thunderbolt? Universal chargers do not regulate amperage as well as brand specific chargers. Also, car chargers in general tend to deliver slightly higher amperage than wall chargers do. This has been true for years. Not HTC'S fault.
0 Likes
AVBuff

These are chargers purchased from Verizon at the time of purchase of both Thunderbolts.  I was told they are for the Thunderbolt.

0 Likes
DLMA

Ditto-

I thought it was just me!

What's up with this?

0 Likes
AVBuff

Not sure why Verizon hasn't looked into this issue.  I think they need to take this as a VERY serious safety issue.  Remember the Dell laptop battery issues?  Fires!

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

AVBuff wrote:

Not sure why Verizon hasn't looked into this issue.  I think they need to take this as a VERY serious safety issue.  Remember the Dell laptop battery issues?  Fires!

This seems not too be a universal issue because I haven't seen this on my device, so if this isn't a universal issue for everyone that some other variable is the factor, have you checked apps, settings and power manager to verify that its not something else causing this that may have been changed or installed by you?

0 Likes
Ripsaw

Posted by AVBuff

Just talked to another friend of mine and he has the same problem, as well as another person in this post. 

I have stopped all unnecessary apps and have turned off all things like GPS, etc.  All you have to do is plug the phone into a car charger let it fully charge, take it out and after a few hours phone is near dead and extremely hot.  

Phones works fine until you plug it into a car charger, nothing has changed from the time I take it out of my holster, plug it into to the car charger and the time I have to take out the battery and recharge.

This is NOT an OPERATOR ISSUE.  I have been using cell phones since 1994 and know how to navigate around one.  I'm also a EE and know a few things about electronics and know this should not be happening.

VERIZON NEEDS TO LOOK AT THIS ISSUE!!!!!!!

This may not be universal issue but it is an issue that needs to be looked at!

AVBUFF

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Ripsaw wrote:

Posted by AVBuff

Just talked to another friend of mine and he has the same problem, as well as another person in this post. 

I have stopped all unnecessary apps and have turned off all things like GPS, etc.  All you have to do is plug the phone into a car charger let it fully charge, take it out and after a few hours phone is near dead and extremely hot.  

Phones works fine until you plug it into a car charger, nothing has changed from the time I take it out of my holster, plug it into to the car charger and the time I have to take out the battery and recharge.

This is NOT an OPERATOR ISSUE.  I have been using cell phones since 1994 and know how to navigate around one.  I'm also a EE and know a few things about electronics and know this should not be happening.

VERIZON NEEDS TO LOOK AT THIS ISSUE!!!!!!!

This may not be universal issue but it is an issue that needs to be looked at!

AVBUFF

The post wasnt meant to insult in any way but if you know about electronics, you know that hardware is just like the software.... Unpredictable but on the same page there can be situations that come from one item having issues.

I have seen a large amount of users reporting that the Droid X had a charger issue because everytime they charged the device and then unpluged the device it would automatically restart but after researching further it was learned that it was a app called Bump that was used by all users and after ut was uninstalled it resolved the issue.

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode?

In order to enter safe mode, please turn off the phone. Then briefly press the Power button to turn on the phone. While the phone powers on, press and hold the Volume down button until phone loads the OS and "Safe Mode" should appear on the lower left part of the screen.

0 Likes
Sborden
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the car charger from Verizon for the Tbolt and i have not had this issue at all, so maybe it was a bad batch?

0 Likes
AVBuff

It very well could be a lot code or date code issue.   But try getting Verizon to help out on that one.  The guys at the the stores would have no clue as to what to do.  They won't exchange it if charges.

0 Likes