Help. I Can't download Apps
widssss

When I try to download the progress bar just sits at zero and nothing happens. It says it's downloading , but after waiting for hours trying serveral different Apps still nothing. I looked through some troubleshooting suggestions and the one that seem to relate was that I have to be signed into Google Talk first. To me that seems like the dumbest requirement for downloading Apps. I already gave them $200 for the phone , $90 for service , they know my name , where I live and yet that's not enough for Google...I have to be signed into their little Talk service in order to download?  Well , that seems simple enough except the fact that my phone won't sign into Google talk, the little sign in swirly gig just sits there trying to sign in. I'm never prompted to fix my Google log in or password, I get no help at all from the OS. Maybe I'm asking for too much , but if something on the phone doesn't work for the user , shouldn't the OS recognize that?  Anyways , I'm hoping there's an easy fix because I am new to "smart" phones and I'm beginning to think they aren't living up to their name.

0 Likes
Re: Help. I Can't download Apps
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

You don't need to be signed into Google Talk for the market to work.  As long as you entered your gmail account when you set up the phone, the market will work.  Go into Settings-Applications-Manage Applications, hit the running tab and scroll down to Market.  Click that and choose Clear Data.  When you open the market, agree to the terms if it asks and try again.  

0 Likes
widssss

Thank you very much for your reply. I tried your method but it still doesn't work. When I click the Help button when I'm in the Market there's a troubleshooting App download link. I go there and it gives three possible reasons for the issue. The first one relates to internet connection problems, but I can get on the internet just fine. The second one is about credit card problems and paid apps, but so far I'm only doing free apps. The third suggestion says to make sure I'm logged into Google Talk, which I'm not because it can't get past the log in screen.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Interesting.  Just clicked the help link and saw those options. #1 wouldn't be the problem because you need an internet connection to actually view the help link.  #3 wouldn't seem to be the problem because I'm signed out of Google Talk and can download market apps fine.  But not being able to sign-in to the google talk app itself would seem to indicate an internet or account problem.    Have you tried rebooting?

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

try logging into your gmail account. if you can't then i suspect you have the wrong username or passwrod. try it from a pc as well. if you cant log in to your gmail account on a pc, then you've got the wrong username and/or password.

0 Likes
FrustratedX10
I solved this. Make sure you have an active gmail account on your phone. The first time you attempt to download an app (if it's a free one), the market may not look for your gmail account. So it will assume you don't have one, and simply tell you the download was unsuccessful. Go back into the market and select an app that must be purchased. When you press "buy", the system is very happy to go find and log you in to your gmail account so it can ask you for your credit card number. At that point...you don't need to buy the app. Back out of the purchase and go to the free app you wanted...and it should download fine.
0 Likes