Help with Google Voice please
Digitos
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just installed Google Voice but can't get incoming voicemails to go to the Google number.

I've gone to the Google Voice account page to verify that my number is registered. It is.

I've recorded my voicemail message and verified that it exists via my Google account page.

I've followed the VZW specific instructions for entering the code in my phone dialer to register my phone.

I've selected Google Voice as my voicemail provider in my phone's settings (settings/call//voicemail service).

Still, when I try to call my mobile number from my home phone, it rings my phone for about 10 rings, then goes to Verizon's automated message saying my number is not in service (or something like that).

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Help with Google Voice please
Digitos
Enthusiast - Level 3

OK, I figured it out on my own: The Google number listed in my account settings page was 2 digits off from the number that Google instructed me to use to register my phone. Very odd.

I manually requested a new Google number and went through the registration process again. Everything works great now.

Thanks again for the help.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Have you dialed *71 followed by our 10 digit google voice number?  That's how you set the no answer forwarding for your main number to google voice.  Shouldn't have to change anything in settings

0 Likes
Digitos
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes, that's the code I referred to in my OP. I've tried it several times. The last time I tried it seemed to have some effect. But, now instead of going to voicemail (calling from my home phone), it goes to an automated message that says "please enter the number you are trying to call, followed by the pound sign." When I try to enter the number in my home phone's key pad, it just keeps saying "sorry, I didn't get that. Please try again."

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Do you have your home number as one of the numbers that your gv number forwards to?

0 Likes
Digitos
Enthusiast - Level 3

OK, I figured it out on my own: The Google number listed in my account settings page was 2 digits off from the number that Google instructed me to use to register my phone. Very odd.

I manually requested a new Google number and went through the registration process again. Everything works great now.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Digitos wrote:

Thank you for the update!

It is funny sometimes how people come here looking for help, figure out the answer themselves, repost that the problem has been solved, but fail to share what the solution is. These people are always quick to accept help from other people, yet refuse to return the favor by sharing their solution in order to help someone who may have the same problem.

These people then disappear, never to be heard from again, until the next time they want someone to help them, that is.

0 Likes
Digitos
Enthusiast - Level 3
Just doing what I can to be a good netizen.
0 Likes