Hey Verizon I'm calling you out!
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

The Thunderbolt is flawed with more bugs than a sewer. You have your employees and HTCs emplyoees admitting there are many issues that are being addressed but the consumers have yet to see results. Don't post on here you don't know anything because if you are truely " working on it " someone has an idea where they are in the process of developing, testing , or releasing fixes to these issues. VZW you still have a link ( http://support.vzw.com/pdf/system_update/thunderbolt.pdf )  to the proposed update that we are no longer getting due to problems with so why is it still up? This lie displays a build and baseband number ( Build Number: 1.13.605.7 Baseband: 1.16.00.0402w_1 )  but how can those #s still stand true if it was " scrapped do to issues". Please stop jerking us around and start giving real answers. Don't be scared to admit you'r mistakes and take a moment to spill some truth. So come on Verizon I'm calling you out! what's your answer? 

 

Just a couple quotes from your forums and HTC

 

MikeS1_VZW

I can't really give you a timeframe ( I wish I could) for the update.  When I say that this is a top priority for Verizon to get this phone to quit dropping its data connections, I truly mean it.  It doesn't happen with all the phones, but enough to make it a top priority.  This has escalated as high as an issue can go, we are just waiting for that software to be pushed out.  We report these types of issues to HTC, and they collect any issues with the phone, develop patches with these issues addressed, and push 1 big update over the air.  Right now we are just waiting for that software update to get pushed out.  We know about the software being pushed out right before it actually gets sent but not any sooner.

 

HTC 

Thank you for your reply. The update you are referring to has been temporarily scrapped, due to some issues with it. Since you have already performed a factory reset on your Thunderbolt, there is probably a hardware issue going on that our warranty and repair department should address. For further assistance, please contact 1-800-229-1235 Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. EST

 

0 Likes
Reply
28 Replies
philhyde
Enthusiast - Level 2

In my own personal experience, my service was working fine until the 4/27 outage.  After that, I started having issues.  

 

My own WAG: they rolled out some infrastructure update that caused the outage, and in turn necessitated an update on the phone.   The original "update" didn't fix the problem.

 

0 Likes
Reply
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

philhyde wrote:

In my own personal experience, my service was working fine until the 4/27 outage.  After that, I started having issues.  

 

My own WAG: they rolled out some infrastructure update that caused the outage, and in turn necessitated an update on the phone.   The original "update" didn't fix the problem.

 


The outage only caused me problems while the outage was present but I still have plenty of problems. I can understand that they had an issue with the new 4G system or whatever but my Thunderbolt plus from the looks of the topics, amount of views ,and new members writing for the first time on the " Thunderbolt by HTC"  forum there are a lot of problems that VZW is failing to fix.

0 Likes
Reply
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

Nothing yet Big Red? You must be checking with your developers and legal dept. to see if you can answer me. I'll be here with my crippled Thunderbolt waiting so when get a chance thanks. 

0 Likes
Reply
AZSALUKI
Legend

GreenRobot wrote:

Nothing yet Big Red? You must be checking with your developers and legal dept. to see if you can answer me. I'll be here with my crippled Thunderbolt waiting so when get a chance thanks. 


they only periodically check these forums and then give fairly broad/generic answers. you're not going to get an answer that you're looking for here. as far as all of the threads, topics, views, etc goes on this forum.....you will find the same on the droidX, incredible, iphone, etc, etc forums. this is where people with issues come to try to solve them, so, logically, most of the threads are started by someone with an issue. same on the iphone forum, and all of the rest. check out the incredible threads from last may and june (right after it launched) and the iphone threads for the 2 months of it's initial launch. you will find the same issues and complaints, and these are from two devices that are fairly accepted as 2 of the best that verizon has (of had) to offer.

0 Likes
Reply
vargo911
Newbie

Don't call me a fan boy... but I have no problems with my TB. Other then my battery going dead faster then most phone I had, But I knew this before I got into it. When we had the 3G/4G outage, I found the quick solution by going to forums like this and others. The outage was a pain in the butt for about 36mins. till I found the solution and then I was happy. No different then finding issue with my MacPro problems. I'm sure that every company releases a product your going to have bugs in a few of them. I would rather have them push the update back and have a better software update then pushing one now and it being crappy.

 

thanks

 

 

" A race for quality there is no finish line" 

0 Likes
Reply
Synycalwon
Contributor - Level 1

I completely agree with BOTB and have experienced no problems with my TB. Let's also keep in mind that many happy Thunderbolt users don't post, so you can't necessarily go by all the posts of those reporting problems.

0 Likes
Reply
Dnakaman
Contributor - Level 1

All I have to say is, "Thank God my Thunderbolt is not a Samsung"

 

I've owned Android phones since the very first G1.  I also had Blackberries and other phones.  I've had no more or no less issues than i've had with any other phone.

 

The one nice thing about my Thunderbolt (and Android in general)...  Open source with a very active developer's community.  So when you have problems, they find fixes.

 

Granted, not "official", but nonetheless just as effective.

 

i don't think I can ever go back to any other OS after owning an Android phone.

 

Just my two cents.

 

0 Likes
Reply
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

Dnakaman wrote:

All I have to say is, "Thank God my Thunderbolt is not a Samsung"

 

I've owned Android phones since the very first G1.  I also had Blackberries and other phones.  I've had no more or no less issues than i've had with any other phone.

 

The one nice thing about my Thunderbolt (and Android in general)...  Open source with a very active developer's community.  So when you have problems, they find fixes.

 

Granted, not "official", but nonetheless just as effective.

 

i don't think I can ever go back to any other OS after owning an Android phone.

 

Just my two cents.

 


The first time I used my gps navigation I thought wow this is as bad as my friends Samsung Galaxy S and that the reason I didn't wait for the chrage. I also had 2 droids the OG and the X both great devices and the only major changes to the motorola setup i made was adding launcher pro till I installed Cyanogen 7 on my OG. So I understand what you're saying about open source and the developer community but I like to keep my devices fairly stock till they are about out of warranty so the fact that I'm already coming to the conculsion that this Thunderbolt is going to have to get a different rom on it dissappoints me. I love the Android operating system and wish VZW would give us a strait Goolge Android like the nexus devices.  

 

Thanks for your cents

0 Likes
Reply
AZSALUKI
Legend

fyi...i have posted in many threads that i've had no issues. i should clarify that i DO have the gps issue. i know there's a work around, but i don't use it much so i haven't meesed with it. however, it does take about 20 seconds to lock in my gps when i use google nav. my incredible locked in in about 2 seconds!! i've read that this will be adressed in the update and i sure hope it is. 

0 Likes
Reply
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

AZSALUKI wrote:

fyi...i have posted in many threads that i've had no issues. i should clarify that i DO have the gps issue. i know there's a work around, but i don't use it much so i haven't meesed with it. however, it does take about 20 seconds to lock in my gps when i use google nav. my incredible locked in in about 2 seconds!! i've read that this will be adressed in the update and i sure hope it is. 


😄  I knew you were hiding something but I think I remenber you saying something happended while in Flagstaff what was that again? 

0 Likes
Reply
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

Well after talking to tech support I confirmed that the update is not going out to anyone right now and I'm getting my first replacement Thunderbolt only a month or two after getting it due to possible hardware issues. I must say I'm not impressed with this HTC phone since I had both the OG and the X without any notable issues or replacements and my OG has been to the bottom of a mop bucket full of water and soap and still works. We will see if a replacement makes a difference, I hope so.. 

0 Likes
Reply
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

vargo911 wrote:

Don't call me a fan boy... but I have no problems with my TB. Other then my battery going dead faster then most phone I had, But I knew this before I got into it. When we had the 3G/4G outage, I found the quick solution by going to forums like this and others. The outage was a pain in the butt for about 36mins. till I found the solution and then I was happy. No different then finding issue with my MacPro problems. I'm sure that every company releases a product your going to have bugs in a few of them. I would rather have them push the update back and have a better software update then pushing one now and it being crappy.

 

thanks

 

 

" A race for quality there is no finish line" 


Are you in a 4G are? I'm curious but it really doesn't have to do with much. I am dead center of a 4G area and I get constant no connection and both HTC and VZW agree it's a hand off issue with the device. I'm not asking for an update that will turn the device into bugless perfection I just want them to start by working on what is probably the biggest issue with the device. The Thunderbolt was in the hands of VZW employees well before launch and we all know the launch was delayed due to some sort of issue. So my guess is since I have noticed this problem since day 2 with the device is that they knew it had issues and tried to fix it before they went ahead and decided to release so they didn't look to bad after already advertising their superior device is coming. Now the outage, yes you and many others were able to look up on forums on how to lock your Thunderbolt to 3G or whatever it is you did to get it to work but what about those that don't go on forums and leave their faith in the device, its manufacture, and their service provider to correct the issue. Mine on the hand sat on 1X because I wanted to know when my 4G would be back up and there wasn't an issue with 3G. As per VZW the 4G network had an issue and the thunderbolt was the only device effected because it couldn't recognize that 4G was unavailable and switch to 3G only on it's own. I agree I would rather receive a software update that works and is not crappy but here we are 5 days after the proposed update was going to roll out and then scrapped for having issues. If a big wireless manufacture and provider have had all this time to recognize and develop an update only to find it's better to delay it or scrap it ( as htc put it ) that tells me there is more to the story either there are hardware issues that they are havening a hard time overcoming with software or they're are trying to integrate bloatware and disconnect the free hotspot and update to correct issues all at the same time and are delaying to benefit VZW.

0 Likes
Reply
vargo911
Newbie

vargo911 wrote:

Don't call me a fan boy... but I have no problems with my TB. Other then my battery going dead faster then most phone I had, But I knew this before I got into it. When we had the 3G/4G outage, I found the quick solution by going to forums like this and others. The outage was a pain in the butt for about 36mins. till I found the solution and then I was happy. No different then finding issue with my MacPro problems. I'm sure that every company releases a product your going to have bugs in a few of them. I would rather have them push the update back and have a better software update then pushing one now and it being crappy.

 

thanks

 

 

" A race for quality there is no finish line" 


Are you in a 4G are? I'm curious but it really doesn't have to do with much. I am dead center of a 4G area and I get constant no connection and both HTC and VZW agree it's a hand off issue with the device. I'm not asking for an update that will turn the device into bugless perfection I just want them to start by working on what is probably the biggest issue with the device. The Thunderbolt was in the hands of VZW employees well before launch and we all know the launch was delayed due to some sort of issue. So my guess is since I have noticed this problem since day 2 with the device is that they knew it had issues and tried to fix it before they went ahead and decided to release so they didn't look to bad after already advertising their superior device is coming. Now the outage, yes you and many others were able to look up on forums on how to lock your Thunderbolt to 3G or whatever it is you did to get it to work but what about those that don't go on forums and leave their faith in the device, its manufacture, and their service provider to correct the issue. Mine on the hand sat on 1X because I wanted to know when my 4G would be back up and there wasn't an issue with 3G. As per VZW the 4G network had an issue and the thunderbolt was the only device effected because it couldn't recognize that 4G was unavailable and switch to 3G only on it's own. I agree I would rather receive a software update that works and is not crappy but here we are 5 days after the proposed update was going to roll out and then scrapped for having issues. If a big wireless manufacture and provider have had all this time to recognize and develop an update only to find it's better to delay it or scrap it ( as htc put it ) that tells me there is more to the story either there are hardware issues that they are havening a hard time overcoming with software or they're are trying to integrate bloatware and disconnect the free hotspot and update to correct issues all at the same time and are delaying to benefit VZW.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

I live in a 3G area and Work in a 4G area. I have no problems. If I had the problems you had, I would asked for a defective phone replacement.  I remember  I had to exchange my HTC Touch Pro 3 times till VZW  got me HTC Touch Pro 2  that worked perfect. I have to admit I was very upset. but in the end it paid off very well. I LOVED MY TP2!!!. But when it comes to VZW bloatware and VZW's data plans or hotspot charges etc...., I really could care less but that's just me. And for the people who wouldn't know to check VZW  forums or others for help. I find it very funny and hard to believe  that people in this time of age who own smartphones have no clue how to use a computer???... GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND!!  I do feel bad that you are going threw all this problems. If I was rich I would send you my Thunderbolt and buy another one.

 

 

0 Likes
Reply
JimH4662
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well I just did do the update. Other than me watching it download, and reboot with the update I would not have known it updated.

Still cannot get a location for an accurate weather forecast. It still says Currant Location and has a 10 degree difference in temperature difference for Weather bug, which enables, exact location settings.

I new of the battery hog characteristics before purchasing, so I cannot whine about that. But other options bother me that my first smart phone is not that smart.

0 Likes
Reply
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

AZSALUKI wrote:

GreenRobot wrote:

Nothing yet Big Red? You must be checking with your developers and legal dept. to see if you can answer me. I'll be here with my crippled Thunderbolt waiting so when get a chance thanks. 


they only periodically check these forums and then give fairly broad/generic answers. you're not going to get an answer that you're looking for here. as far as all of the threads, topics, views, etc goes on this forum.....you will find the same on the droidX, incredible, iphone, etc, etc forums. this is where people with issues come to try to solve them, so, logically, most of the threads are started by someone with an issue. same on the iphone forum, and all of the rest. check out the incredible threads from last may and june (right after it launched) and the iphone threads for the 2 months of it's initial launch. you will find the same issues and complaints, and these are from two devices that are fairly accepted as 2 of the best that verizon has (of had) to offer.


Valid point, I guess I'm just bitter since I have an OG droid and I had a Droid X that I didn't problems with at least not to extent that this Thunderbolt has. My Droid X received an update within a month or so of getting it and I didn't have any issues with it so it kills me that this Thunderbolt has so many known issues and not one little maintenance update or anything has been pushed out. I have had apps that have update 3-4 times since I got this device and I didn't pay anything for the apps. I have 2 years and hundreds of dollars invested in this device and all that VZW can say is " sorry " " we know its an issues " " update coming soon " " rolling out 5/5 oh wait that update is no good nevermind ". I understand that VZW employees only check the threads and help where possible that's kind of why I decide to post this. So maybe someone will get out of their seat and go ask a few questions then maybe post something useable. 

Do you think this passing the buck and telling us they know there's a problem then offering no options besides wait would fly if this was your new car? Lets just say the internet connection issues was the same as a  connection issue with your gas pedal to your engine. I would have been stuck without transportation a lot, sitting in a parking lot doing a battery reset, or getting some else's car to contact tech support. That's ridiculous after a month you would be getting a different car. That's only the connection issue. Imagine if your car ran out of gas after only 50 miles, kind of like the battery going dead after only a few hours of use. Then when you go to the dealer they turn away and say "there's an update coming soon". 

 You would probably put your car on the morning, noon, and night time news for the world to know that you were sold something that they can't or won't fix. 

0 Likes
Reply
Not applicable

The updates were being pushed out last week.  There were problems with it.  We stopped it immediately until HTC/Google were able to get everything squared away.  Once the problems were fixed with the software update, we began rolling it out again in stages. Available yesterday/today:  http://support.vzw.com/system_update/thunderbolt.html.  It is being pushed out in batches. You can update your phone by going under settings>software updates> check new.  

 

These updates are processed in batches based off of your MEID number.  If it says that no updates are available and you still have the old software, that means your MEID number has not been processed yet.  Check again over the next couple days.  

 

I hope that answers your question. 

0 Likes
Reply
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

MikeS_VZW wrote:

The updates were being pushed out last week.  There were problems with it.  We stopped it immediately until HTC/Google were able to get everything squared away.  Once the problems were fixed with the software update, we began rolling it out again in stages. Available yesterday/today:  http://support.vzw.com/system_update/thunderbolt.html.  It is being pushed out in batches. You can update your phone by going under settings>software updates> check new.  

 

These updates are processed in batches based off of your MEID number.  If it says that no updates are available and you still have the old software, that means your MEID number has not been processed yet.  Check again over the next couple days.  

 

I hope that answers your question. 


Is there any reason why my MEID # would make my Tbolt say ERROR when I check for updates when on 3G or 4G but when I switched to 1X BOOM! update is there and ready to download? Also I'm sending back the replacement device I just got last night due to it having cosmtic and internal issues so will my next replacement have the update on it already or am I going to have to switch that 4G Tbolt to 1X to get the update also? 

0 Likes
Reply
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

GreenRobot wrote:

Nothing yet Big Red? You must be checking with your developers and legal dept. to see if you can answer me. I'll be here with my crippled Thunderbolt waiting so when get a chance thanks. 


LOL! VZW marked this as solved with ^^^ that as the solution. It's like VZW said yup thats it legal won't let us say anything hope you learn to like your Thunderbolt cause your stuck with it  😄 touche VZW touche!

0 Likes
Reply
gina7289
Contributor - Level 2
HTC when i called ur number they conformed the number of the new software but told me that there whoever gave u the email wasent suppose to say that so I called HTC reg customer service they had no idea about this email so they looked at what was posted here and checked it out. Conclusion Verizon is in charge of when it comes out. I asked again to Verizon finally admitted after 30 mins Ohh it never came out. Sorry. They said never trust online info. U will be happy after the update don't just trade it in. I should have expected all this. When I'm persistent the get annoyed. Trust them somewhat but HTC is getting on my nerves being top secret.
0 Likes
Reply
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

gina7289 wrote:
HTC when i called ur number they conformed the number of the new software but told me that there whoever gave u the email wasent suppose to say that so I called HTC reg customer service they had no idea about this email so they looked at what was posted here and checked it out. Conclusion Verizon is in charge of when it comes out. I asked again to Verizon finally admitted after 30 mins Ohh it never came out. Sorry. They said never trust online info. U will be happy after the update don't just trade it in. I should have expected all this. When I'm persistent the get annoyed. Trust them somewhat but HTC is getting on my nerves being top secret.
________________________________________________________________________________________________
Seems like you have more time to deal with this than I do. I don't konw if I should thank you or not for call HTC to ask about the email I recieved but more power to you. So since they don't know who or how I got that info here is the whole email minus my last name and ticket #. If they want more info tell them to register on here and message me. Thanks. 


.

HTC to meme
show details May 9 (1 day ago)
 
 
 
 
Dear Gary XXXX,

Thank you for your reply. The update you are referring to has been temporarily scrapped, due to some issues with it. Since you have already performed a factory reset on your Thunderbolt, there is probably a hardware issue going on that our warranty and repair department should address. For further assistance, please contact 1-800-229-1235 Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. EST.

To send a reply to this message or let me know I have successfully answered your question log in to our ContactUs site using your email address and your ticket number 11XXXXXXXXXXXXX992.

Sincerely,

Jessica

HTC

Want to see what others are saying? Have a question to ask other HTC fans?

Become a fan of HTC facebook.com/htc
Follow us on Twitter twitter.com/htc
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel youtube.com/htc

Explore our development resources developer.htc.com
We are unable to receive replies to this email account. Please visit us at htc.com if you have any questions or need further assistance
0 Likes
Reply