How to Fix 4G Outage on HTC Thunderbolt
coolhd31
Enthusiast - Level 2

If you can’t wait for Verizon to fix the issue, xda provides the following fix that will get you back on 3G speeds until the network is fixed. Personally, we are just using WiFi today, and hoping for a speedy recovery.

How to Fix 4G Outage on HTC Thunderbolt

1. Dial ##778#
  2. Press Call button
  3. The password is 000000
  4. Choose Edit Mode
  5. Go to Modem Settings
  6. Choose Rev A
  7. Switch from eHRPD to Enable
  8. Press OK
  9. Commit Modifications (reboot phone off/on)

Keep in mind you’ll likely need to change this back to get your phone back to normal after the nationwide Verizon 4G LTE outage is fixed.

The issue has cut speeds down from the incredibly fast speeds we are used to back to near dial-up speeds of 129kbps down and 151kbps up, compared to the normal 4G speeds that are measured above 12MBps down and 5MBps up or higher.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How to Fix 4G Outage on HTC Thunderbolt
coolhd31
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK if any of you out there have done this change to your phone to get 3 G service while 4 G service was down just reverse the steps and then pull the battery out for 15 -20 seconds to do a soft reset and re-install battery and turn phone on you should have 4 g service again I did it and it works.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
RobB772
Contributor - Level 3

Verizon seems to have 4G back on-line

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Okay I had done this fix and was able to get on EDVO Rev A while the 4G LTE/eHPRD was down. I am in an area with 3G only now. However now that I hear 4G LTE is back, I want to get my phone set back on the new 3G (eHPRD). I have done the steps above is reverse and have eHPRD enabled and rebooted the Tbolt. After the reboot, my connection is still EDVO Rev A and not eHPRD. I even went so far as to disable Rev A altogether and was switched to EDVO Rev 0 and repeated the process and enabled eHPRD. No luck. Still on EDVO Rev A.

Thoughts?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2
Yeah same here. I got 3G back sometime last night but it's showing rev-a. Verizon probably changed the default so they could get things back up.
0 Likes
kirKauai
I got mine to go back to eHPRD. ?? Used the steps in reverse as well. Try it again.
0 Likes
wayne8821212
Enthusiast - Level 3
I switched back to eHRPD while service was still down. Hoping that service would be back when I woke up (which it was). So I have LTE/eHRPD.
0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

kirKauai wrote:
I got mine to go back to eHPRD. ?? Used the steps in reverse as well. Try it again.

So under Settings-About-Network, yours says eHRPD for Network Type?  Are you in a 3G-only area?  I had mine set to eHRPD and went to bed with 1x, woke up with 3G but it's Rev-A as the network type.  Still shows rev A after switching it to enabled rebooting and then switching it back to eHRPD.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i just used wifi all evening and when i woke up this morning my 3g and LTE was back!!!!!!!! i'm begining to wonder how we all survived a mere 3 or 4 years ago....lol

0 Likes
kirKauai
Actually, to be precise it says "LTE" when I go to Settings > About Phone > Network > Mobile Network Type.
0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

ok, maybe I should have directed that to anyone in a 3G-only area or who switches between to 3G and LTE

0 Likes