I DON'T WANT YOUR UPDATE! How do I stop it?
Mudkicker

I had a working TB.  I did the OTA update on 7/10, and that's when my TB stopped working correctly.  Phone support sent me to the store to get a new SIM card and the guy at the store ordered me a replacement phone because NOBODY could figure out what was wrong with the stupid thing, and nobody had yet heard of any issues with the update (so they tell me).

I got the "new" TB (a "like-new" reconditioned... nice, huh?).  It didn't have the update, and it works just fine.  Naturally, that's the way I want to keep it.

From about an hour after I got that replacement operational, I got daily messages for about a week that there was an update available.  I declined every one of them.  Now I don't even get notes.  VZW is apparently trying to push the update to my phone without notification.  The only indication I get is that little download arrow icon at the top of the screen.  I can stop the update from pushing... if I catch it.

How do I keep the push from happening in the first place?

My concern is that the next push attempt will happen while I'm in bed, and there will be nothing I can do about it.  Turning the phone off isn't an option.  I have Background Data and Auto-sync disabled, but that doesn't work.  It still gets through.

I have a phone that's working the way it's supposed to.  I don't want another brick, and I certainly don't want another one of someone else's used phones.  When y'all can push an update that works the way it's supposed to, then come talk to me.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: I DON'T WANT YOUR UPDATE! How do I stop it?
Tidbits
Legend

There are currently 2 updates out right now.  I don't know which one was giving you problems (first MR cause problems for a lot of people), and the second one fixed a lot of the problems.  You will have to take both updates to see if it works for you.  I recommend you doing a factory reset prior to doing both updates to see if it fixes your problems.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

There are currently 2 updates out right now.  I don't know which one was giving you problems (first MR cause problems for a lot of people), and the second one fixed a lot of the problems.  You will have to take both updates to see if it works for you.  I recommend you doing a factory reset prior to doing both updates to see if it fixes your problems.

0 Likes
Mudkicker

Sorry about that... it was the 1.70.605.0 update that (allegedly) broke my first TB, and the one that's trying to install itself now.  Right now my phone is showing software number 1.13.605.7, baseband version 1.16.00.0402w_1, and everything is humming along swimmingly.  No problems here, folks... let's move along now...:smileyhappy:

Someone else did mention in another topic to do a factory reset before the install, but recommended doing a full install as opposed to the OTA update.  Should either method work with about the same effectiveness, I wonder?

0 Likes
Ambushbug

They pretty much have to force push this last update because it turns off the free mobile hotspot, so it's not going to be easy to avoid. There are ways to do it, but for the most part it would require you to root your phone. We have two T-Bolts and haven't had any issues since the MR2 update, actually we didn't have any before it either, so unless you are trying to keep the free hotspot I suggest just downloading it. I think the fact that it messed up your other phone was just bad luck since it doesn't seem to be a wide spread issue.

0 Likes