Ice Cream Sandwich update, now no video playing via the internet
dribbles

My Thunderbolt was updated to Ice Cream Sandwich in the wee hours of the morning today. Now video doesn't play through the internet. The YouTube app plays video as I would expect it to. However, there are some training courses I watch via the internet. I've checked a few sites that stream video (i.e. screen.yahoo.com) and those don't play either. Update: YouTube videos not playing via internet either. There is a 3-D blue box with a "?" on the sides where the play button normally is.

Anyone else having this issue? Anyone know a solution. Need access quickly. Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Ice Cream Sandwich update, now no video playing via the internet
dribbles

It appears that there may have been issues with the update, per the HTC rep. the Ice Cream Sandwich update removed mobile flash player and is no longer available for download from Adobe. Hence, no more video via the native internet browser. It was suggested that I download a different browser 'til I find one that works. This is extremely frustrating to say the least. Sure doesn't make me feel good about Google, HTC or Verizon at this point.

0 Likes
Re: Ice Cream Sandwich update, now no video playing via the internet
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

This is partially true. ICS did remove Flash Support and the browser embedded within ICS is Chrome. You can download a different browser such as an older version (Pre 9.3) of Dolphin or Firefly (not sure if the current version still supports Flash). You can then download Flash from Adobe and have a functioning Browser that will play online videos.

Be aware though of 2 things. do NOT obtain Flash from any source other then Google Play (most likely will not be able to find it there) or Adobe itself and Adobe has stopped supporting Flash on a Mobile platform so it is only a matter of time before they take it off of their site as well.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

If flash player was already loaded in the phone before the update, it is still loaded on the device.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

Ann you are correct and I forgot about that.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have found out recently that an application I had loaded on the Tbolt used flash to work. It currently doesn't work with the version of flash player apk I have installed on the Tbolt. I'm going to try a few ideas to see if I can get it to work.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
dribbles

Ann, if you do, please let me know. I was told by the rep the update removed the program.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The flash player apk file was still loaded on my Tbolt. However it seems to be a version not as compatible with the ICS OS. Thankfully I also have the Galaxy Nexus which I installed the Flash player on it while it was available. I used a file explorer application to backup the apk from the Nexus and then transferred it to my computer. I copied the apk to the Tbolt and installed it to the Tbolt. When I installed the newer version, I did get a message telling me it would be replacing a system application.

The newer version works with the application I was having trouble with.

0 Likes
havoczero522
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon doesn't have anything to do with an Android software update, that strictly deals with Adobe and Android.

0 Likes
Not applicable
0 Likes