It's called 'Conversion' BitBop, Blockbuster, lets Golf, and other bloat ware
SkyyDogg
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hey VZW:

Here is the deal.  I have been reading multiple posts about how to remove some of the pre-loaded applications.  BitBop, Blockbuster, Let's Golf, and other bloat ware.  Essentially you have committed the legal theory of 'Conversion' by not allowing a customer to remove these applications. 

You should get your silly act together or you will find your self in another class action law suit.  To force a person to keep these and other applications is equal to selling somebody a car and telling them if they change the car radio or even remove the car radio it voids the warranty.  

Since the car radio isn't essential to the safety and functioning of the car it's a non-essential piece of equipment.  Since I am reasonably certain 'Let's Golf' isn't required to make the phone function as a phone it falls into the same category.  

By not allowing the customer to remove non-essential applications you have "Converted" that functionality or ability to function.  It's further going to be a problem for you when you DO allow a customer to download and install new launchers.  Which are an essential piece of functionality for the phone.  

Kindly cease and desist from the practice of conversion and put out a new updated that will enable people to remove unwanted pre-installed applications.  

Don't reply back with "These are a legally binding agreement between Verizon and developers."  Because apparently there are quit a few people who have paid full price for their phones and still can't get rid of them, like me.  Please don't reply back with, "We at Verizon deem these as necessary to the functionality of the phone."  In what realm of reality can you tell me I need, "Let's Golf?"  Please don't reply back with,  "These only take up limited space."  It's clear by my review of these many and previous posts that the space utilized by your forced bloatware is significant and it's there that my assertion of "Conversion" exists.  You (Verizon) have converted the promised available space to your own advertising benefit at the cost of your customers. 

Re: It's called 'Conversion' BitBop, Blockbuster, lets Golf, and other bloat ware
Wildman
Legend

This has been beat to death, every carrier has installed apps like this for years and this is coming practice..  The company use apps like this to create revenue to be able to invest more into the network withour impacting the customers and if they discontinue this practice then you should expect prices to change to even out for the lost of revenue from the advertising market..

I am not crazy about some of the apps installed but the outcome of having them removed wont make you any happer because of the expected changes.

Actually if they just add a option to diable ununsed apps from running automatically would make me happy.

0 Likes
Re: It's called 'Conversion' BitBop, Blockbuster, lets Golf, and other bloat ware
Ambushbug

So you are going to start a post on a forum, a place of public discussion, and then tell people how they can't comply to it? Ok, how about this. If you don't like it don't buy it.

0 Likes
vereyezuhn
Master - Level 3

Google is your friend. You can take those apps off.

If you don't want to take the steps to do so, live with it and stop complaining. Because there IS a solution.

0 Likes
RobB772
Contributor - Level 3
On this subject I agree with skydog. I'm not familiar with the term conversion but loading up the phone with uninstallable apps isn't right. PC makers were doing the same thing (loading up uninstallable software ) UNTIL they were forced to allow the end user to uninstall it WITHOUT VOIDING THEIR WARRANTY. Others keep saying "Google is your friend" but that route still forces me to void my warranty(Not viable to most people and really shouldn't be necessary). Oh, I did pay full retail price for my device so grousing is my right(if you don't like that you can stop complaining too). Hope someday an AG office hears enough complaining to "look into" this matter and while their at it look at the exorbitant text messaging charges versus actual cost to provide.
0 Likes
vereyezuhn
Master - Level 3

RobB772 wrote:
On this subject I agree with skydog. I'm not familiar with the term conversion but loading up the phone with uninstallable apps isn't right. PC makers were doing the same thing (loading up uninstallable software ) UNTIL they were forced to allow the end user to uninstall it WITHOUT VOIDING THEIR WARRANTY. Others keep saying "Google is your friend" but that route still forces me to void my warranty(Not viable to most people and really shouldn't be necessary). Oh, I did pay full retail price for my device so grousing is my right(if you don't like that you can stop complaining too). Hope someday an AG office hears enough complaining to "look into" this matter and while their at it look at the exorbitant text messaging charges versus actual cost to provide.

It's the same thing as commercials on TV. That's how Verizon and Motorola get money.

Also, the result Google will give you will NOT void your warranty, as it IS reversable. Everyone really needs to do their research on this. There is a solid fix for this, that DOESN'T void your warranty if you know how to do it, and if you really don't want to do it, then stop complaining because that's a solution - that's what you wanted, a way to take them off.

Why would I give a rat's behind if you paid full retail for your phone or not? You still bought it from Verizon, it's still made by Motorola, and you still pay Verizon monthly to use it. The fact that you spent more money on it than you needed to is your own fault.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

what apps? i can't seem to find any of these on my phone?  :smileywink:

0 Likes
DroidM
Enthusiast - Level 2

The bloat where on my first Moto Droid realy did nto bother me it was a few APs and a few I actualy used. On My T-Bolt and even my Wifes Droid 2 Global thou I was shocked buy how many usles APs came with the Phoen and how only one of them gave me a way to get rid of it. I dont' mind the Boat where so much as long as it's resonable. As somebudy mentioned it's a way for them to make money. I do have a problem with the VZW Aps that wher forced on my phoen APs that I will honestly nver use and VZW can't be making any money on these as they own them. Useful as they may be I realy my self dont' need them so give me the option to get rid of them. Also ther shoudl eb a time limit on the Bloat wear for exampel maby once we get a New OS Update the Aps they came witht he phoen can be removed to make room for the New Aps that are forced on us. The Rate These Bloat wher APs are going Imnot shore how much room Ill have left. Ther has to be a resonable Compromise hear.

0 Likes
Elitist_Jerk
Contributor - Level 2

YAH.. and take down all the billboards, and stop showing commericals!! Take down all signs everywhere!!

0 Likes
RobB772
Contributor - Level 3

If end users had not complained about Microsoft and PC makers loading up PC's with unwanted, uninstallable software "trials" and whatnot it might still be the norm there too. If they get enough guff for this practice Carriers and handset manufacturers will also give the option to uninstall these unnecessary, unwanted, resource using apps.

As for commercials, they don't reside on your TV and use resources you may want/need(?) to watch a program you want, they're transient. Also the US Congress passed the C.A.L.M. Act and the FCC will be cracklng down on those who make commercials perceived louder than the program. Even though they ( the commercial makers / advertisers) argued that they weren't actually any louder than the loudest point of the program, it was just all of the commercial was at that peak level. FCC has until  Dec 15th of this year to issue a Report and Order adopting the rules implementing the CALM act. I guess complaining does work!

Remember, if you sit back and accept the practice it will never change and most likely will get worse.

If ya always do what ya always did, ya always get what ya always got. (status quo)