Messaging choses wrong phone number.
MBFlorida

After the ICS update when I open text messging the phone choses the wrong phone number. If the contact has a cell, home and work number for example the phone will chose work or home (both landlines). I have the cell number in the contact chosen as the default number but the phone still choses one of the other. When I open messaging and chose a person to text from previous texts saved there is a drop down menu by the contacts name at the top to chose which number to text. I should not have to chose which number each time. Even if the previous text was from the cell number i still have to chose it again. Is there some way to make a certain number the default for texts?

0 Likes
Messaging choses wrong phone number.
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

I don't remember about the stock messaging app (I'm assuming that's what you are using), but there may be a setting within the app to only show mobile numbers.  I use Handcent (in the Play Store) and it does have that option, so if you can't figure this out, you may want to try that.

0 Likes
Re: Messaging choses wrong phone number.
cbud72
Enthusiast - Level 2

Glad to know I am not the only one with this same problem. The default messaging app worked perfect before ICS now I have to unlink contacts in order to ensure that the right person gets the message. And of course now the contact link feature keeps asking me if I want to link those contacts. Urgh!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi MBFlorida,

I realize the importance of sending and receiving text messages and I am here to help! If you are using stock messaging try this:Settings>App>All>Text Messaging>Clear Data/Cache. I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if your have any additional questions or concerns.

Thanks for your contribution to our community forums,

AyaniB_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
jenyo1222

Maybe you have inadvertently selected one of the land lines when you sent a message recently.  I accidentally sent a media msg to my friend's work land line and this started a trend of the incorrect # defaulting for any subsequent messages I sent to him. It took a while to figure out why he wasn't getting messages and then I realized the land line was defaulting on each message, even if I was replying to a message from his mobile number. 

I think you have 2 choices to fix this.  You can create 2 different contacts for the person's phone #'s in order to keep the message history of both.  This is the quick and "easy" fix.  I chose a different method which fixed my problem.  You can also delete all of the messages sent to/from the phone number you do NOT want it to default to. I'm not sure why when you have set a default # for messaging it would then start to select a different number. It seems to be a glitch that should be fixed.  Not sure if it will be.  Hope this helps!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi MBFlorida,

Just checking up with you to see if the steps and tips offered in this thread have helped you out. Please let us know!

Thank you and may everyone take care.

Sincerely,

Nicandron_VZW
VZW Support
Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
dunamis

Hi Nicandron, hopefully you still get followups to this. I just came across this because I've been having the same issue since the ICS update. I did as you suggest and still have it randomly choose which # to send to.  Similar situation as OP; I have a single contact with multiple #'s, all cell phones, wife, son, daughter.  I'll get message from my wife and we can txt with my replies going to her #, until I get a text from son/daughter, then it almost never goes back to wife, even when I send receive several messages to wife, it wants to go to either son/daughter. Very annoying especially with Christmas approaching.

I've been searching since the ICS upgrade for a fix, and short of separating into 3 contacts, nothing working so far.  Appreciate any help!.

0 Likes
stevests

I cannot locate :Settings>App>All>Text Messaging>Clear Data/Cache on my Iphone 3. Can you help. Like others since the latest SW upgrade when I create a Text Message it no longer prompts for which number I wish to use.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

stevests wrote:

I cannot locate :Settings>App>All>Text Messaging>Clear Data/Cache on my Iphone 3. Can you help. Like others since the latest SW upgrade when I create a Text Message it no longer prompts for which number I wish to use.

You replied to a discussion about an android device. The options for iphone devices are quite different and limited. Also the iphone 3 isn't compatible with Verizon Wireless. You should check out the Apple and iPhone space for your specific phone to see if there are any similar questions there.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes