Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, get the incredible iPhone 13 Pro on us. Online only. With select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 12.5. Buy now
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: Early next week, we’ll be merging the current Fios and Wireless Communities into the all new Verizon Community! Beginning the evening of Sunday 12/4, both Communities will be placed in read-only mode. You’ll still be able to visit the Communities and browse content, but login will be disabled. On the afternoon of Monday 12/5, all users will be able to log into the new Verizon Community. We expect the new Community to be fully functional the morning of Friday 12/9. Additional details can be found in the Announcements board and under Featured Topics!
My Thunderbolt will not update it's coverage area
Jon_Carter13

I live in Gracey, KY and when traveling to Russellville, KY and Bowling Green, KY my phone will not send/receive text/voice but will receive data.  I was told to press *228 with the first SIM card to update the coverage area, but later told *228 will damage the SIM card and haven't done it with the second SIM card.  I still will not update its coverage area.  I have been through two SIM cards and my phone will still not update.  Bowling Green in a 4G area for sure, I am unsure about Russellville, but I will be traveling to both regularly and need coverage.

0 Likes
Re: My Thunderbolt will not update it's coverage area
rapongallo69

I travel all over ohio and surrounding states and what i do is every few days i remove the battery and pull the sim card tray out and wait a minute or two. Reinsert the sim tray and the battery and you should be fine. I works for me and it also clears the temp memory of the phone which is good too.

0 Likes
Re: My Thunderbolt will not update it's coverage area
TamaraH_VZW
Verizon Employee

You are absolutely correct by NOT dialing *228 from your 4G device.

First, make sure your Thunderbolt is set to the correct network settings. (CDMA/LTE)

Next, ensure you have the latest software which was last updated 10/25/11 to:

Build Number: 2.11.605.5; Baseband: 1.48.00.0906w_1, 0.01.78.0906w_2

Lastly, you can also check the 4G coverage for Russelville here. Is the area you travel to in a 4G/LTE area?

You mentioned that you have had two (2) replacement SIM cards already but have we ever replaced your device?

Tamara H.

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes