No 4G reception in area where mobile hotspot has good 4G reception
dtbiv

I live in the San DIego area and have never had reliable 4G reception in my home or at work with my T-bolt.  I have 2 friends who have the Samsung 4G mobile hotspot, which receives a good 4G signal without any problems in my workspace.  Has anyone ever compared the 4G signal reception of your T-bolt to other 4G devices?  I've had this phone for 5 months now and figured that I was just relegated to 3G only service until the 4G service was brought fully up to speed here in SD.  Now I'm wondering if it's my phone that is not up to speed.

I have received a 4G signal with my phone in other areas, but I do notice that I have to restart my phone to receive the signal without intermittent drops.  Does any of this sound familiar to anyone?  Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: No 4G reception in area where mobile hotspot has good 4G reception
pat3332
Contributor - Level 2

Hi dtbiv,

I haven't tried to compare my TBolt to a stand alone 4G modem, but I have had this problem ever since the last MR2 update. There are several posts about this and Verizon is aware of the problem and is hopefully trying to fix it in the next update.  I've tried the different suggested fixes, but what has helped most are two different approaches.

1 A response from Verizon to another post:

.Re: Thunderbolt drops 4G off and on

Hi Batherto, 

I know it is frustrating for your device to drop to 3G in a 4G area, or 1X. Please try the following steps if you have no internet connection.

Dial ##778

Call

Hit edit

Enter 000000

Choose modem settings

Choose Rev A and change to enable

Press Commit

At this point the internet should work correctly

I assure you that this issue has been raised to HTC and we are waiting on a fix from the manufacturer. Please use the steps above for a temporary work around. 

Thank you!

ChristinaB_VZW
Follow Us On Twitter @VZWSupport
I think this actually has helped my reception. Others report that it was no help, but it won't hurt to give it a try. This is the link to the pertinent info. To save you a little time, where Christina says to press commit, you have to press menu first which brings up the commit option. After pressing Commit, your phone will restart.
2. Verizon  added a network switch in their last update. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that well and definitely not as well as the third party app's LTE OnOff and LTE Switch that Verizon tells you not to use. If I use one of the third party apps and set it to LTE mode, I can get and keep a 4G/LTE connection better and longer than if I use Verizon's LTE/CDMA selection. LTE OnOff and LTE Switch are identical, so just pick the one that has the icon you prefer. You may already be doing this, but I'm just adding adding it because some people aren't aware of the two third party apps.
Or, just wait for the next update to Gingerbread like the rest of us and hope it fixes the problem.
Good Luck

View solution in original post

0 Likes
pat3332
Contributor - Level 2

Hi dtbiv,

I haven't tried to compare my TBolt to a stand alone 4G modem, but I have had this problem ever since the last MR2 update. There are several posts about this and Verizon is aware of the problem and is hopefully trying to fix it in the next update.  I've tried the different suggested fixes, but what has helped most are two different approaches.

1 A response from Verizon to another post:

.Re: Thunderbolt drops 4G off and on

Hi Batherto, 

I know it is frustrating for your device to drop to 3G in a 4G area, or 1X. Please try the following steps if you have no internet connection.

Dial ##778

Call

Hit edit

Enter 000000

Choose modem settings

Choose Rev A and change to enable

Press Commit

At this point the internet should work correctly

I assure you that this issue has been raised to HTC and we are waiting on a fix from the manufacturer. Please use the steps above for a temporary work around. 

Thank you!

ChristinaB_VZW
Follow Us On Twitter @VZWSupport
I think this actually has helped my reception. Others report that it was no help, but it won't hurt to give it a try. This is the link to the pertinent info. To save you a little time, where Christina says to press commit, you have to press menu first which brings up the commit option. After pressing Commit, your phone will restart.
2. Verizon  added a network switch in their last update. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that well and definitely not as well as the third party app's LTE OnOff and LTE Switch that Verizon tells you not to use. If I use one of the third party apps and set it to LTE mode, I can get and keep a 4G/LTE connection better and longer than if I use Verizon's LTE/CDMA selection. LTE OnOff and LTE Switch are identical, so just pick the one that has the icon you prefer. You may already be doing this, but I'm just adding adding it because some people aren't aware of the two third party apps.
Or, just wait for the next update to Gingerbread like the rest of us and hope it fixes the problem.
Good Luck

0 Likes
dtbiv

Thanks Pat3332.  I'll give #1 a try and see if things improve.  I do have the LTE On/Off app and use it a lot.  Thanks again.

0 Likes