No "Voice Dialer" prompting after GB Update
ProfChips
Enthusiast - Level 2

Has anyone else had an issue with the stock "voice dialer" no longer working properly since the recent OTA to 2.3.4 (Gingerbread)?  I have the same "won't appear / won't disappear" issue with the voicemail notifications, but I have one other issue, and that is that the voice dialer no longer works for me with voice prompting.  I installed the Google text-to-speech data download (which I had to do last update as well), but it has not solved the problem.  This is especially troublesome if I want to make a hands-free call with either my Bluetooth headset or the link in my car.  I did the OTA on the first day (Wed late afternoon) and am now finding the broken voice dialing prompting to be a major hangup.  I push the button and hear nothing.  It will record what I say and then I have to push a button on the screen to confirm the dialing, but without voice prompting, I have no idea if it got the number correct or not.  I read elsewhere from one other forum where an individual had this same problem and a few users suggested using the free "Vlingo" app from the Android Market instead.  I gave it a try, but it behaves oddly with the bluetooth connection (e.g. prompting doesn't come through my headset, but the phone's speaker, though it will use the mic from the headset).  I want my stock "voice dialer" to work again.  Help anyone?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: No "Voice Dialer" prompting after GB Update
ProfChips
Enthusiast - Level 2

I solved my issue today within minutes of knocking at the VZW store's door to roll me back to Froyo.  Ready folks?

1.  Turn off your phone.

2.  Remove the backing, battery, and sd card

3.  Leave it sit for a bit

4.  Reinsert the battery and sd card

5.  Perform a restart (hold in the power button)

Phone restarted.  Connected to the car bluetooth.  Now pressing the button to dial brings the voice prompting for dialing back again!

I have restarted the phone since then and the setting has been retained.  If you lost your voice dialing prompting, please try these steps.  Don't know why they worked (when a restart did not), but it did!

Now I just have the broken VM prompt that everyone else is experiencing...  Hope a fix is soon.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Bogart56

:smileysad:Got the same problem got the update wed and updated. Didn't know i had a problem till today. Running GoLauncher and it at least let me know i had a voicemail.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

I notice this but also if you do not touch screen it will dial the contact on the screen..

0 Likes
speedygw

Same problem here. Hope somebody notices and fixes it. I've got a raft of other problems as well. My phone was as close to perfect as any phone I've ever owned. Now it's got problems galore. Should've left it alone.

0 Likes
RMLJ
Contributor - Level 1
I have also had some strange issues like these and music is no longer pausing properly with my Bluetooth when a call comes in. Sometimes now when I am not listening to music and I try to call someone it will start dialing properly but also start playing music. Another example would be I'm listening to music get a call music pauses but when I end the call the music does not start back. It's really strange it worked almost perfect before update. Also when I speak to text it really messes up. Today I said can you make sure Zoey has a coat and it came up with Can you make sure Sally Hansen.
0 Likes
ProfChips
Enthusiast - Level 2

I solved my issue today within minutes of knocking at the VZW store's door to roll me back to Froyo.  Ready folks?

1.  Turn off your phone.

2.  Remove the backing, battery, and sd card

3.  Leave it sit for a bit

4.  Reinsert the battery and sd card

5.  Perform a restart (hold in the power button)

Phone restarted.  Connected to the car bluetooth.  Now pressing the button to dial brings the voice prompting for dialing back again!

I have restarted the phone since then and the setting has been retained.  If you lost your voice dialing prompting, please try these steps.  Don't know why they worked (when a restart did not), but it did!

Now I just have the broken VM prompt that everyone else is experiencing...  Hope a fix is soon.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

I just realized that I was testing the wrong voice app, the one for the phone through bluetooth is Voice Dialer not Voice Search and the prompter works on the bluetooth only but not when activated from device...   Keep forgetting that the device has multiple voice apps..

0 Likes
ProfChips
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was really surprised, wildman, when the battery trick somehow reset a flash setting inside the phone.  You are correct that the "voice dialer" is a separate app from the "voice search."  Now for that VM prompt fix for those of us NOT using Google Voice.

0 Likes
speedygw

So I went to use my navigation this morning and after I spoke the destination to the phone (not using the bluetooth) it prompted me to download a google text to voice program from the marketplace. After I did the the bluetooth voice prompts worked fine. **bleep**? Still need to work out the issue with the car mode not starting when I cradle it. Today while using the bluetooth and in car mode, I pulled the phone from the cradle and it switched from bluetooth to speaker phone. Ok? What's up with that?

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

I think that this may have been disabled intensionally because so many complained that it kept causing issues with users with magnet case,, This hasnt been berified but I noticed that other devices  have this option disabled now also if they use the magnet sensor..

0 Likes