No voicemail notifications since GB OTA update
random64
Contributor - Level 2

I've never had any problems with my TB before, but right after receiving the GB OTA update my phone stopped giving voicemail notifications.

I know this is a well known issue, since leaked builds as well as Erisha's (developer) 3rd party patch, etc.  However, (no offense to 3rd party developers), I'm only interested in official VZW/HTC support responses to this issue.

I stopped by the VZW store yesterday and with the customer service person tried all the reset procedures (all the way through factory reset).  My phone was still not fixed.  The CS lady had a TB and I asked her if she had the issue and she said she hadn't had any voicemail since the update, so we tested her phone and hers worked (e.g. voicemail notification showed up).  Her solution was to replace my phone!

I'm a bit hesitant to replace the phone because the one I have works well, and I'm a bit paranoid of receiving a lemon replacement.

Please let me know if there is an officially (VZW/HTC) supported fix to this issue other than repalcing my phone.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: No voicemail notifications since GB OTA update
RobB772
Contributor - Level 3

Already called HTC and emailed HTC and Verizon. I'm tired of the "soon" response. (I'll bet the billing department wouldn't like it if we all started telling them that they'll get our payment "Soon":smileyvery-happy:)

View solution in original post

0 Likes
budone
Legend

I am sure the rep has not updated her phone with GB as of yet.

Replacing the phone MAY correct it as you need to have a device without the GB update for the VM notification to work. But I am not sure I would be willing to accept a refurbed phone on the chance of maybe getting the notification back.

VZW and HTC are working to correct the issue.

0 Likes
DerekC-SST

I too lost my stock VM notifications after the GB update.  With all that I read on different forums I was hoping an OTA fix would be quickly delivered, but not the case here.

I called Verizon CS yesterday to discuss my options, and the rep wanted to send me a replacement phone as well.  What she told me was that this was a software issue, and only affecting some phones after the GB update.  She told me that the refurb. phone she was sending would already have the GB update (I really questioned that), and that after receiving the replacement phone I should test whether the VM notification worked as expected.  She said it was probably a 50/50 shot that it would.

If it did not work, I had the option of keeping my original phone and returning the replacement.  I asked how this would actually address the problem of no notifications.  She seemed stumped on that one.  She said we all would have to wait for a fix from 'Google', as they handle all the updates and that Verizon does not have any say in the matter. (well, that was a new one for me).  I told her that I thought the updates would be managed by both HTC and Verizon, but she replied that I was mis-informed.  LOL.

I will await the replacement device arriving tomorrow and report back.  No fingers crossed here. 

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

A replacement phone is not a solution to resolve this issue because it is a software issue,  Verizon pulled the update to resolve the issue, read http://wirelessandmobilenews.com/2011/09/htc-thunderbolt-android-2.3-update-suspended-update.html

My suggestion is to install a 3rd party app like YouMail or Google Voice until revised update is released or see if they will offer a deal for VVM because they still work...  I would not send in a device that isn't damaged for a refurbish device..

0 Likes
FV3riz0n

I, like everyone else who updated their phone to gb, also have the vm problem.  Verizon's solution to me was to give me 3 months of visual voicemal for free.  The rep said that HTC should have it fixed by then.  With visual vm, you get the notifications.  At least this is a temporarry fix.

0 Likes
RobB772
Contributor - Level 3

Anyone know exactly what the (*) codes for call forwarding definitions are?

I know in order to tansfer you are suppose to use *71, *90 and *92 (each followed by the 10 digit # you wnt VM transfered to) but I'd like to know what they do.

Found this site http://www.nanpa.com/number_resource_info/vsc_definitions.html

VZW mods are these valid for the Tbolt?

Customer Programmable Call Forwarding Busy Line (*90 Activation, *91 Deactivation)
Customer Programmable Call Forwarding Don't Answer (*92 Activation, *93 Deactivation)

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

I believe that:

*71(+ 10 digit # to forward to) is forwarding if no answer

*72(+ 10 digit # to forward to) is forward all calls

*73 is cancel forwarding

0 Likes
random64
Contributor - Level 2

@budone, the vzw cs person definitely had GB.  Also, the act of sending me a replacement phone backs up the premise that they think at least newer phone builds are not having the problem.

I am wary of accepting a replacement phone though, and would rather just implement a fix on my orig device.

By the way, yesterday I went ahead and called HTC (866-449-8358) customer support.  They confirmed that this is a known issue and that they are working on a solution which they will provide as soon as possible.  I asked, "How/when will I know of the solution" and she said the best way to monitor the situation is to follow HTC on Twit or FB, which to me is a total pain.

I would appreciate anyone interested in this to call HTC customer support to put more pressure on them.

0 Likes
RobB772
Contributor - Level 3

Already called HTC and emailed HTC and Verizon. I'm tired of the "soon" response. (I'll bet the billing department wouldn't like it if we all started telling them that they'll get our payment "Soon":smileyvery-happy:)

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Hope you realize forcing and putting presure on them to have something released before you allow them to test the fix really wont make things any better, you just open chance of something else getting broken during the coding process...  Since they offered you a working temporary solution I would allow them the time to get it right...  Like you reported VVM was offered to you and it works so its not that you are missing you messages at this time..

0 Likes