PEOPLE contacts doubling
chuckwilmot
Contributor - Level 1

My contacts are doubling, but not all.  There is an almost randomness to it.  Many double but not all.  When I should have about 180 contacts, now I show over 300.  I use the Backup Assistant and it shows the doubling also.  I used HTC Sync at home to synch (what should be) the same contacts in my Outlook contact file, and I didn't notice the doubling then.  This morning I changed a contact in the Backup Assistant on my computer and synched to the phone, and now I'm seeing the doubling.  Any suggestions as to how I can merge all the doubles back into one contact each?

0 Likes
Re: PEOPLE contacts doubling
Wildman
Legend

I noticed this with BA, try importing contacts to Google and then you can log in and delete all duplicate easily and this will sync automatically to device as you change on site.

1. Log into Verizon Backup Assistant
2. Click on Export to CSV
3. Save File as (or Rename to) Contacts (it should already be converted to CSV so including .csv is redundant)
4. Log into Gmail/Google Voice
5. Click on Contacts
6. Click on Import
7. Browse for the Contacts (.csv) file
8. Click Import

Disable BA..

Settings / Applications / Manage Applications / All Tab / Sync Service / Clear Data

This will just disable BA but wont remove info saved on app..

0 Likes
chuckwilmot
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks Wildman, I did something similar but not using Google.  I deleted all my phone contacts and deleted all the BA contacts.  I use Microsoft Outlook for Gmail at home and it still had a clean copy of all the contacts, so I used HTC Sync to put them back into my phone.  I suspect BA of doing the doubling...  I changed a contact online in BA and then synced the list back to the phone.  I won't do that again without first deleting all the phone contacts.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend
Glad to here you figured out a working solution... I was going to suggest wiping all old contacts but didn't know if you was open to do that... Glad to hear you are straighten out.

Did you go to Settings / Applications / Manage Applications / All Tabs / Sync Storage / Clear Data to disable BA to avoid that issue again?
0 Likes
chuckwilmot
Contributor - Level 1

Huh.  No, didn't do that.  Just did.  Thanks.

0 Likes
chuckwilmot
Contributor - Level 1

Wildman, if I want the BA back in the future, what's the drill?

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

chuckwilmot wrote:

Wildman, if I want the BA back in the future, what's the drill?

menu-->settings-->accounts and sync-->backup assistant-->sync

0 Likes