Post Update - Having to Reboot Several Times a Day
wgragg1

Before the latest update, I didn't have massive rebooting issues, but had some data connectivity issues.  After the update, I still don't have rebooting problems, but I have to reboot the phone several times a day to keep the data connection.

Symptoms:  I will either show no data connectivity at all, or I will get a 3G (usually) symbol, but when I try to use it, anything I do times out.  I only see the little up arrow light up and never the down arrow.  Also, even in solid 4G areas, it can't keep a 4G signal for longer than a few minutes.  Sometimes going in and out of airplane mode will help, but often not.  My Xoom picks up a strong data signal, though it isn't 4G capable yet.

What I have done:

Factory reset (twice).  Battery pull.  Sim pull.

Results:  Same problem.

I'm not a chronic complainer and don't have unrealistic expectations of the phone.  In fact, I have defended it multiple times; however, this is getting very irritating.  I just want the phone to work the way it is supposed to.

I want to call VZW, but I am afraid they will send me one of their CLNR's that has worse issues.  I'm really not convinced they do much more to returned phones thand clean them and wipe them, thus sending out replacements worse than the originals; however, I am about ready to try it.

My plan is to call them and try to talk them into a new TB replacement, though I don't expect them to do that.  Failing that, if they send me a CLNR that doesn't work right, I will ask for another (again a new TB).  If that also has problems, I will attempt to enforce the lemon law and either get a full refund or an equivalent phone of a different brand.  I don't want a different brand of phone, but if that is what it takes to get something that works, I will do it.  I've already contacted my attorney and he said that I could have a lemon law case if they can't get me a working unit.

I will try to let you all know what I find out.  Hopefully the first replacement will work and I can go back to being a happy camper.

0 Likes
Re: Post Update - Having to Reboot Several Times a Day
budone
Legend

Which update are you speaking of?? The newest is to all but eliminate the issue. Not a fix, but a simpler way to get data back is to put the Airplane mode button on one of your screens. When data dies, click on Airplane mode and then back off and data will be back.

0 Likes
wgragg1

The last update and as I said, going into airplane mode only works sometimes.  Besides, one shouldn't have to do that several times a day.

I've talked with a level two tech and he did a few things, had me pull the battery while he changed some settings.  Then he sent me his email address so I can contact him the next time it happens and he will call me back to see what else can be done.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Sorry, missed the airplane mode comment. I just want to verify, the factory reset is the reset where the phone and the SIM needs to be paired again.

0 Likes
wgragg1

Not sure about whether they had to be paired again, but it was the reset where the phone was wiped. 

0 Likes
budone
Legend

K

0 Likes
tbuzzard

Update.  I don't know exactly what the VZW tech did, but so far, my connection has been much more stable.  I'm even getting 4G better.  Not willing to say quite yet that it is resolved, but I am hopeful.  Then I can go back to just enjoying the phone.

0 Likes
tbuzzard

BTW, Tbuzzard and Wgragg1 are the same.  Somehow I ended up with two id's.  My regular VZW id won't work to log in to the boards....Wish they would just use one ID for both.

0 Likes
JoeL_VZW
Verizon Employee

Great suggestions by budone.

I'm glad tech support got you up and running. Please keep us informed if you have any other signal issues with the Thunderbolt.

Thank you

0 Likes