Problem charging Thunderbolt
bill14625

I have been chasing this problem for over a month. I have a 1.0 amp usb charger in my bedroom that I have used since I got the Thunderbolt in April, Worked fine. Recently the phone will not charge with this charger. Tried an iPad charger, also 1.0 amps. No good. Different cables, no change. Downloaded Battery Monitor Widget and found that when the original TB charger is connected, Battery Monitor shows "AC plugged" (and charges correctly). Any other charger, regardless of capacity, is only recognized as "USB plugged" and the phone actually discharges even though it is plugged in. I now realize that this occurred with the Gingerbread update. Not sure if it was the original update or the December update.

Has anyone else noticed this?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Problem charging Thunderbolt
DionM_VZW
Verizon Employee

Greetings to you bill14625, and thanks to all Community members for your feedback! Bill14625, I'm sorry to hear that you've had any issues with charging your Thunderbolt. The T-bolt does have the option to change how it manages a connection. For instance, if you connect the T-Bolt to a computer via a USB cable, you can get a pop-up menu that allows you to Charge Only or change to Mass Storage Mode (for media file sharing and management). It is possible that your phone no longer recognizes your 1.0 charger for its basic functionality and thinks of it as a USB cord only. The fact that your T-Bolt will charge with your Logitech charger indicates that this is not a phone problem (although I recommend using only those chargers that have been approved by the manufacturer). Thanks for sharing this with the Community!

DionM_VZW

Follow Us on Twitter! www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
pmkoul
Contributor - Level 1

so far I have yet to experience anything like that

0 Likes
amadds99

i have had problems with a few different chargers as well as you. the one that came with my phone doesnt work at all now. i am now using my wifes charger for completely different phone. I also bought a car charger that works half the time, i have to place the phone a certain way for it to charge. love this phone but am very unhappy with way it charges, you think they would figure out a better plug.

0 Likes
Phone-1

it is possible your charger is defective, or the connection to the phone is ....

0 Likes
bill14625

I'm a little skeptical on this since I have 2 chargers that did work and now do not work. I discovered yesterday that I have a Logitech charger (1 amp ) that the phone recognizes as "AC plugged" and charges correctly. I would like to know how the phone decides if it is plugged into a USB port or an AC adapter?

0 Likes
DionM_VZW
Verizon Employee

Greetings to you bill14625, and thanks to all Community members for your feedback! Bill14625, I'm sorry to hear that you've had any issues with charging your Thunderbolt. The T-bolt does have the option to change how it manages a connection. For instance, if you connect the T-Bolt to a computer via a USB cable, you can get a pop-up menu that allows you to Charge Only or change to Mass Storage Mode (for media file sharing and management). It is possible that your phone no longer recognizes your 1.0 charger for its basic functionality and thinks of it as a USB cord only. The fact that your T-Bolt will charge with your Logitech charger indicates that this is not a phone problem (although I recommend using only those chargers that have been approved by the manufacturer). Thanks for sharing this with the Community!

DionM_VZW

Follow Us on Twitter! www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes