Problems with HTC Thunderbolt Update - Loading old text messages
RosieG
Enthusiast - Level 1

I updated my Thundebolt last night and it seems like if you have a long history of text messages with someone, those messages won't load. I can't create a text message or drag the notification down and open it to reply to that person either. Anyone else having that problem? I've rebooted 4 times now and taken the battery out twice and let it sit for a few minutes before rebooting. Nothing seems to be working and I'm afraid I'm going to have to do a hard reset and I'll lose ALL my texts.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Problems with HTC Thunderbolt Update - Loading old text messages
RosieG
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ok, so I finally got mine to work after nearly 24 hours of insanity and cursing Verizon. Here is what I did, step by step:

1. Backed up all SMS/MMS to app SMSBackup+

2. Backed up all contacts to Verizon

3. Removed SD Card

4. Hard reset the phone

5. Restored text messages thru SMSBackup+

6. Restored contacts

7. Restored all other apps.

8, LAST reinstalled the SD card.

This is the only way I could access texts. They actually loaded fairly quickly too. PS - I had over 20,000 texts restored in the new format. Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
siglerwm

I've been having the same problem (and many others since this update) since yesterday morning. I've contacted HTC since Verizon doesn't seem to have any answers yet, but HTC has yet to come back with anything useful either. I can't text at all. Rebooted and restarted and tried everything I can think of at least a dozen times in the last 24 hours. I haven't tried a factory reset yet only because I've read others posts saying that it doesn't really help.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The text messages are displayed in a new format. It might take some time for the application to apply the new format on the old messages.

You can use a SMS backup and restore application from the Play Store to backup your text messages to the SD card. After you factory reset, reinstall the application and run the restore option.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Frensg
Enthusiast - Level 1

my phone received the forced update this morning.  messaging doesn't work at all  "please wait" for the past two hours!

the touch screen response time on all parts of the phone are EXTREMELY slow now, the phone worked great before the update now it is basically usless.....

any suggestions?  i have turned off twice, and taken out the battery.  nothing helps either problem

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

ICS is a major update; if your TBolt responds like other phones did when they got the update (such as the Bionic), it takes a few days for the new update to optimize your phone ... performance can be sluggish and battery life can be worse.  The best advice is to let the phone do its job, be patient for a couple of days, and see if things then improve once the optimization is complete (can take 48 hours or so).

Russ74

I left my phone on letting my old texts load for 2 hours and only a quarter of them loaded so i reset my phone and all were gone and stuck on the same problem since my phone has never been cleared of the messages since the day i got the phone. Go to your contacts and compose a new message to send them. But does anyone know how to manually delete all the saved text ? so i can just have it blank be4 it trys to load them?

0 Likes
kapok6
Enthusiast - Level 1

This sucks. Same here.  Phone did auto update this morning, now I can't load any of my texts.  I click on the widget, and it gives me a "processing" circle and nothing happens.  Why can't we live by the old saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."  My phone worked fine before this crap.

elliewhitt93

My phone is doing the same thing, everything else is working fine, but the my messages will not load.  i tried restarting my phone and quickly accessed my messages it worked for half a second.  I just put my phone in safe mode and it only took fifteen minutes to load.  i just hope it will stay loaded when i take it out of safe mode

0 Likes
Russ74

i think i have figured it out!!!!!! ok so what i did was take out the micro sd card and went to the messager quick app and it loaded all the messages qucik havnt put it back in yet but i am going to delete the 10000000 of messages i have saved

0 Likes
Frensg
Enthusiast - Level 1

i called and it was a pretty easy fix.  simply go into settings, apps, running, messages, stop.  restart and you should be good to go!

0 Likes