Re: Problems with Ringtone for contacts?
DucksDroid
Enthusiast - Level 3
Let me be clear, you can set the default app that is opened when you click on widget. That is pretty self explanatory since it asks you each time. Any messaging program installed runs all the time and monitors the message service in the android OS. I don't believe this is the cause of the ringtone problem. I expect that the HTC Sense is causing the issue.
0 Likes
usmc_devildog

Having this problem with both of my Thunderbolts as well. Using Handcent as default text service did nothing.

0 Likes
kizzle53
Yeah I went to Verizon store today and they said there has been a trouble ticket issued so hopefully something is fixed soon
0 Likes
Dave4Signals

If I get what you're saying;  the Market has two apps that might meet your needs.  Ringdroid and for txtg try custom sms tones lite.  no promises of course.

0 Likes
usmc_devildog

Dave4Signals wrote:

If I get what you're saying;  the Market has two apps that might meet your needs.  Ringdroid and for txtg try custom sms tones lite.  no promises of course.

Dave, you don't get what we are saying.

We can assign specific ringers to specific contacts (custom or not). And usually the correct ring for each contact rings. However, anytime a text message is recieved, the very next incoming phone call will ring as the default phone ringer for all contacts.

0 Likes
markmi

I had the same problem on the Thunderbolt.  This is what I found out and also came up with a fix.

1. If your contacts were synced from Google (google contacts) you cannot assign ringtones to contacts.  Thisis a Google thing.

2. If your contacts were synced from Microsoft Outlook AND Google:  If google contacts were updated to the phone 1st, then you cannot assign custom ringtones to the google contacts.  Even if the same contact exists in Outlook.

What I ended up doing was two part through trial and error.

I deleted all of the contacts from my Thunderbolt and set the option to not sync with google.

I then used HTC Sync (another nightmare) to get my Outlook contacts to the phone.

I was then able to assign my custom ringtones to my contacts.

The other solution that I tried before the one mentioned above was to use Ringdroid (free app in the Market and Amazon).  Bring up your custom ringtone in Ringdroid, Save it.  It will prompt to assign it  todefault or contact person.

Using this option worked, but I did not want to do it for each one of my custom ringtones which is why I used the first option.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes
kizzle53

markmi wrote:

I had the same problem on the Thunderbolt.  This is what I found out and also came up with a fix.

1. If your contacts were synced from Google (google contacts) you cannot assign ringtones to contacts.  Thisis a Google thing.

2. If your contacts were synced from Microsoft Outlook AND Google:  If google contacts were updated to the phone 1st, then you cannot assign custom ringtones to the google contacts.  Even if the same contact exists in Outlook.

I deleted all of the contacts from my Thunderbolt and set the option to not sync with google.

I then used HTC Sync (another nightmare) to get my Outlook contacts to the phone.

The other solution that I tried before the one mentioned above was to use Ringdroid (free app in the Market and Amazon).  Bring up your custom ringtone in Ringdroid, Save it.  It will prompt to assign it  todefault or contact person.

Using this option worked, but I did not want to do it for each one of my custom ringtones which is why I used the first option.

Hope this helps.

Tried it. It worked at first then i redone all my contacts saved em to phone instead of google and right back to the same thing. So no luck on my end

0 Likes
kizzle53

kizzle53 wrote:

markmi wrote:

Hope this helps.

Tried it. It worked at first then i redone all my contacts saved em to phone instead of google and right back to the same thing. So no luck on my end

Ok all of a sudden its working now lol. So weird. They need to get a update for this problem. Thats almost a headache thinking how you should set it up and ect ect. Anyways does anyone think they will have a update for problems like this or include it with gingerbread? which have no idea when thats gonna be

0 Likes
kizzle53

Ok i let my phone sit for about 5 mins untouched re dialed my phone number from my girlfriend and its back to default lol. Wow it cant make its mind up

0 Likes
kizzle53

Oh to add to this.. It now seems like it wants to play the ringtone I chose whenever it wants to now lol. Hey did you delete everyone from google even if you didnt choose a ringtone for them? I have kept some from google, so maybe ill have to delete everyone and restart. Also I have some synced up to facebook would that also cause this problem with the ringtone?

0 Likes